What's new

Matrix box set shaping up (1 Viewer)

Marc Bax

Second Unit
From The Digital Bits.

"Also today, a number of online retailers (including EZYDVD) are listing a 9-disc The Matrix Trilogy DVD box set for Region 4 (street date TBA). This would supposedly include 3 discs for The Matrix, 3 discs for The Matrix Reloaded, 2 discs for The Matrix Revolutions, and the single-disc Animatrix DVD. Features of the set are reported to include new HD film transfers of the films, an extended version of Reloaded with an hour of additional footage and new documentaries, commentaries and other newly created special edition content. We do know that Warner and the Wachowski brothers are working on new special editions of the films, but this is the first time we've heard about this specific release. We'll look into it and hopefully have more information for you soon, particularly word on R1 plans."

Wow an hour of additional footage in Reloaded? That must be the stuff they filmed for the video game I'm assuming. Anyone thats played the game do you think they would be able to edit that footage into the film and make it work? Man it seems a bit early to me to put this out as I just completed the trilogy what 2 months ago. But that bonus footage sounds tempting. 9 DVD's so this will probably street around 80 bucks like Quadrilogy you think?

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

I hope they don't do this. So much of the shorts that were in the game are quite repetative to what was in the movies.

It will be interesting to learn more details on this as they are available.

- bones

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Although I haven't see the sequel DVDs, I hear they are basically reference quality --- so I don't see how new HD transfers would make them better.

The first movie would definitely benefit.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
It would be hard to imagine better transfers for Reloaded and Revolutions. I'm satisfied with the current releases of the last two films and don't care what the Wachowski's have to say about them, so hopefully WB will make the first film available seperately with the better transfer.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I read about this this morning. I'm so glad that the films are getting new HD transfers, especially the first one. I haven't seen the first one in years, so it will be a treat for me. I just sold my copy of Reloaded, and I never bought revolutions, because I was waiting for the boxset. So I'm glad to hear it's on the way.

Brad M

Second Unit
I gotta jump in and say I hope this pans out. I'll get it just for the longer cut of Reloaded. Just imagine "the rave" being an hour long! (Just kidding) I do enjoy all 3 films and already own the dvds.

3 discs for The Matrix, 2 for Reloaded and 2 for Revolutions sounds to me as if we are getting the original release and a special edition version all in one set.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
As long as they make one of the box sets WITHOUT the Animatrix I'll be happy. I definately do not want to pay for that disc that I'll never use. And I also hope that the theatrical version of Reloaded will be available with the extended edition. Either way I'm definately glad I held out on buying these.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I remember a reading a quote from Joel Silver saying that the "Enter the Matrix" footage would be on the "Reloaded" disc but it would branch out like "follow the white rabbit" on the original "Matrix" disc and the deleted footage on the "X-Men" DVD.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was kinda hoping for a set that just included all three movies and some extras, maybe 5 discs tops. Ten discs? That's a bit much for me. If the Star Wars trilogy can get released on 4 discs, why can't the Matrix?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
How about the other Matrix disc that's out there, Matrix Revisited? That's been one that's gotten lost in the shuffle, so to speak, as it's got a lot of comprehensive behind-the-scenes stuff on the making of the first Matrix. Not to mention that extremely cool Easter egg of the music jukebox. If and when the Matrix Trilogy box set becomes a reality, then Matrix Revisited shouldn't be left out.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy the first movie again if the transfer improved. That is the only one of the bunch IMHO worth rebuying. Then again the last 2 had reference quality transfers and audio.

I probably wouldn't even buy the last two if they included DTS but I might if the packaging of the boxset is worthwhile on top of that..

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Dumb question related to this boxed set:

Will HD-DVDs play on my "normal" Sony DVD player?

More on topic - bring it! This is what I have held out for, refusing to buy the initial releases knowing there was something bigger coming down the pike.

I'm not a huge fan of the Animatrix, in that I don't know how much replay it will get from me, but I am glad they're including it in the set.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

The DVDs will not be in HD--they will be standard DVDs. There will be a a new HDTV master made to create the DVDs, improving picture quality (in theory) with a better master.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
while the Matrix will sport 3 discs, one of the supllemental discs will probably be Revisited, making it one new disc. and how much more stuff could you document? Revisited was pretty extensive. maybe some deleted scenes?

and while Reloaded is my favourite of the trilogy, i hope the game footage isn't put back in. though it probably will be. an hour of stuff put back in? and very little of it is probably action sequences, which are the most epensive to film

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this is true. I've held off on the current Reloaded and Revolutions releases for just this type of announcement.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
How can the Reloaded/Revolutions transfers be improved?

How do you improve on perfection? The DVD image doesn't get any better than those two discs.

A new transfer of the first film, I believe. But the sequels, I don't buy it.

A nine disc set sounds a little over the top. Just give me an awesome transfer of the first film and I'll be happy.

Kami

Screenwriter
Um, all I really want is a new transfer for The Matrix up to the same level of quality as Reloaded/Revolutions.

I already own all 3 films plus The Animatrix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks