Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Matrix box set shaping up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
356 replies to this topic

#1 of 357 OFFLINE   Marc Bax

Marc Bax

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 11:27 AM

From The Digital Bits.

"Also today, a number of online retailers (including EZYDVD) are listing a 9-disc The Matrix Trilogy DVD box set for Region 4 (street date TBA). This would supposedly include 3 discs for The Matrix, 3 discs for The Matrix Reloaded, 2 discs for The Matrix Revolutions, and the single-disc Animatrix DVD. Features of the set are reported to include new HD film transfers of the films, an extended version of Reloaded with an hour of additional footage and new documentaries, commentaries and other newly created special edition content. We do know that Warner and the Wachowski brothers are working on new special editions of the films, but this is the first time we've heard about this specific release. We'll look into it and hopefully have more information for you soon, particularly word on R1 plans."

Wow an hour of additional footage in Reloaded? That must be the stuff they filmed for the video game I'm assuming. Anyone thats played the game do you think they would be able to edit that footage into the film and make it work? Man it seems a bit early to me to put this out as I just completed the trilogy what 2 months ago. But that bonus footage sounds tempting. 9 DVD's so this will probably street around 80 bucks like Quadrilogy you think?

#2 of 357 OFFLINE   JohnVB

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 11:35 AM

Quote:
Anyone thats played the game do you think they would be edit that footage into the film and make it work?

I hope they don't do this. So much of the shorts that were in the game are quite repetative to what was in the movies.

It will be interesting to learn more details on this as they are available.

- bones
To acknowledge, inspire and nurture excellence in those who are open

#3 of 357 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 11:46 AM

Although I haven't see the sequel DVDs, I hear they are basically reference quality --- so I don't see how new HD transfers would make them better.

The first movie would definitely benefit.

#4 of 357 OFFLINE   Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 11:56 AM

It would be hard to imagine better transfers for Reloaded and Revolutions. I'm satisfied with the current releases of the last two films and don't care what the Wachowski's have to say about them, so hopefully WB will make the first film available seperately with the better transfer.
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#5 of 357 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,725 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted May 20 2004 - 12:05 PM

I read about this this morning. I'm so glad that the films are getting new HD transfers, especially the first one. I haven't seen the first one in years, so it will be a treat for me. I just sold my copy of Reloaded, and I never bought revolutions, because I was waiting for the boxset. So I'm glad to hear it's on the way.

#6 of 357 OFFLINE   Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 02:10 PM

I gotta jump in and say I hope this pans out. I'll get it just for the longer cut of Reloaded. Just imagine "the rave" being an hour long! (Just kidding) I do enjoy all 3 films and already own the dvds.

3 discs for The Matrix, 2 for Reloaded and 2 for Revolutions sounds to me as if we are getting the original release and a special edition version all in one set.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#7 of 357 OFFLINE   jonathan_govols

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 02:27 PM

As long as they make one of the box sets WITHOUT the Animatrix I'll be happy. I definately do not want to pay for that disc that I'll never use. And I also hope that the theatrical version of Reloaded will be available with the extended edition. Either way I'm definately glad I held out on buying these.

#8 of 357 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 05:08 PM

I remember a reading a quote from Joel Silver saying that the "Enter the Matrix" footage would be on the "Reloaded" disc but it would branch out like "follow the white rabbit" on the original "Matrix" disc and the deleted footage on the "X-Men" DVD.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#9 of 357 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 07:21 PM

Aren't the two sequels basically video games anyway?

Posted Image

Dan

#10 of 357 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,898 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 11:30 PM

I was kinda hoping for a set that just included all three movies and some extras, maybe 5 discs tops. Ten discs? That's a bit much for me. If the Star Wars trilogy can get released on 4 discs, why can't the Matrix?

#11 of 357 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 11:37 PM

I hope the 3-disc version of the original film will be releases on it's own as well.

#12 of 357 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 11:49 PM

If people are interested, the EzyDVD listing is here.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#13 of 357 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 01:23 AM

How about the other Matrix disc that's out there, Matrix Revisited? That's been one that's gotten lost in the shuffle, so to speak, as it's got a lot of comprehensive behind-the-scenes stuff on the making of the first Matrix. Not to mention that extremely cool Easter egg of the music jukebox. If and when the Matrix Trilogy box set becomes a reality, then Matrix Revisited shouldn't be left out.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#14 of 357 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 01:30 AM

I'd buy the first movie again if the transfer improved. That is the only one of the bunch IMHO worth rebuying. Then again the last 2 had reference quality transfers and audio.

I probably wouldn't even buy the last two if they included DTS but I might if the packaging of the boxset is worthwhile on top of that..

#15 of 357 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 02:39 AM

Dumb question related to this boxed set:

Will HD-DVDs play on my "normal" Sony DVD player?

More on topic - bring it! This is what I have held out for, refusing to buy the initial releases knowing there was something bigger coming down the pike.

I'm not a huge fan of the Animatrix, in that I don't know how much replay it will get from me, but I am glad they're including it in the set.

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#16 of 357 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 02:45 AM

Will HD-DVDs play on my "normal" Sony DVD player?

The DVDs will not be in HD--they will be standard DVDs. There will be a a new HDTV master made to create the DVDs, improving picture quality (in theory) with a better master.

#17 of 357 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 03:44 AM

while the Matrix will sport 3 discs, one of the supllemental discs will probably be Revisited, making it one new disc. and how much more stuff could you document? Revisited was pretty extensive. maybe some deleted scenes?

and while Reloaded is my favourite of the trilogy, i hope the game footage isn't put back in. though it probably will be. an hour of stuff put back in? and very little of it is probably action sequences, which are the most epensive to film
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#18 of 357 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 03:49 AM

Hopefully this is true. I've held off on the current Reloaded and Revolutions releases for just this type of announcement.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#19 of 357 OFFLINE   Darren Pillans

Darren Pillans

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 04:20 AM

How can the Reloaded/Revolutions transfers be improved?

How do you improve on perfection? The DVD image doesn't get any better than those two discs.

A new transfer of the first film, I believe. But the sequels, I don't buy it.

A nine disc set sounds a little over the top. Just give me an awesome transfer of the first film and I'll be happy.

#20 of 357 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 04:29 AM

Um, all I really want is a new transfer for The Matrix up to the same level of quality as Reloaded/Revolutions.

I already own all 3 films plus The Animatrix.