What's new

Stargate vs. Star Trek (1 Viewer)

Peter Miller

Agent
With Enterprise moving to Friday's at 9pm it is going to air opposite Stargate SG-1 on Sci-Fi. I figured it would be fun to compare the two shows since they are arguably the two most successful sci-fi TV franchises.

You could say that X-Files, Buffy or maybe even Babylon 5 are the most sucessful sci-fi TV franchises but since Enterprise is going to air against Stargate, let's just see how they compare.

As far as my vote, I'd say SG-1 easily beats the pants of Enterprise. The third season of Enterprise is vastly improved over the first two seasons but it still pails in comparison to the quality of writing for SG-1.

I think SG-1's biggest advantage over Enterprise is it's ability to try new things. Enterprise and the Trek universe have so much history behind it that it's hard to come up with new ideas without pissing off all the fans. SG-1 can take more risks than Enterprise which leads to more inventive and interesting shows and characters.

Now if you were to get started with SG-1 vs. DS9, then you'd have a real debate on your hands. DS9 probably took more risks and had more interesting ideas and characters than the other Trek shows which is why I believe it's the best of the Trek series. I don't know if I could pick one over the other, they are both so good.

Roger_R

Second Unit
DS9 also had the fortune to really go where no one has gone before since it started at the end of TNG and Voyager went to the other quadrant. The future wasn't set yet so the writers had a lot more freedom. When it comes to Enterprise you can't do too weird stuff because the fans will moan about the timeline. And if you do the same stuff every episode the fans will moan about it being boring.

I have only gotten to season 3 of Stargate and it looks like a good show. It also has some kind of continuity where you get to meet characters from previous episodes, something that Enterprise lacked almost entirely during the first two seasons.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I've always been kinda "meh" about SG1. I'll watch an ep if I come across it and nothing else is on but the show never really grabbed me. I borrowed some of the first season DVDs from a friend to try to catch up from the beginning and I was still not all that impressed. I guess I like my stories in an arc (DS9, ENT this season, Farscape) much more than all these self-contained eps.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes, but SG-1 is essentially the same show that it's always been, and the writing has improved greatly. I can't wait for S7 to arrive on DVD.

Enterprise is old and stale.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
Hands down, SG-1 is way better than any of the Star Treks. (At least in my opinion, anyway!)

Although I did like Star Trek TNG and Voyager, I like SG-1 alot better. :)

I don't have cable, so I have only seen seasons 1 - 6 of SG-1, but I can't wait to see season 7!! :D (No spoilers, please!)

I hope season 7 gets to DVD soon!

:)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

Season 1 of SG1 is pretty awful through long stretches. After the pilot and opening episode there were a lot of really bad episodes (can any SG1 fan actually say they liked Emancipation ?). It picked up again near the end of the season and the following Seasons are much better, though I have yet to get past Season 4 so not sure how the remainder of the series pans out.

The series does seem to be slowly developing an arc which has helped the show considerably IMO.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Stargate and Star Trek are two totally different shows. Stargate would appeal to a far greater audience I would think than Trek.

Stargate at the start was like bad Trek, you watched it because it was there, not because it was good. It however evolved into a great show and from what I hear the female viewership is what kept it going in sindication where it was all over the map as far as times until Sci Fi picked it up. The music in the first few eps would drive you out of your seat, it was bombastic and WAY overdone.

Is SG1 or Atlantis on at 9pm?

If it was SG1 I'd tape Enterprise or catch it on Sunday, if it was Atlantis I'd probably tape Atlantis.

BTW, will they ever compete as far as first run? Meaning will brand new eps of SG1/Atlantis ever run against new eps of Enterprise or are they far enough off that will never happen?

If thats the case then they may have a good shot.

AndreGB

Stunt Coordinator
Let's just say I'm here to defend Enty. :) They've improved quite a lot in the third season. I also believe they've played with new things. Star Trek series usually had totally separated episodes. Enterprise is the first one to enter a saga, where each episode is a sequence of its former one.

It may not be a new thing comparing to other series, but it is certainly new for the Trek universe. This all-so important event their are living now in the third season wasn't even mentioned on the other Star Treks. Though, it pleased the fans quite a lot as well.

I think the Star Trek series are based on faithfull viewers. If you never saw Trek you won't now. If you were already a fan, then you keep watching it. That's how the Star Trek series work, IMHO. ;)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
As for picking what to watch and what to tape, it may not be a problem. Stargate usually stops in late August and doesn't start up again until the next January.

As for comparing the two, it's like apples and oranges to me. How can anyone compare 4 people to the crew of entire ship?

But for being original, Stargate has Star Trek beat by a mile. It just depends on if you want apples, or oranges! :)

Glenn

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
AndreGB wrote (post #8):

What the heck are you saying?!? Have you never seen Deep Space Nine???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks