What's new

Saving Private Ryan Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen any reviews posted?

I've considered double dipping (have the DD version), but now that I hear that the 2 disk set only doesn't have the DTS track, not sure if there is much point?

Todd

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

I've had a copy for a few weeks now, so some print media got review copies. I watched it last night. The movie appears to have the same incredible audio-video presentation it always has; I don't think it's a new transfer. The movie is the only thing on Disc 1. And there is indeed no DTS, although there is French DD 5.1.

The second disc has all the extras, although I haven't gotten to them yet.

The packaging is kind of nifty, kind of annoying. It's meant to replicate an ammo case.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
Why in the world would they re-release this and not put DTS on disc1? It's not like there wasn't enough room.
Oh well, saved me from a double-dip.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Wow, also saved me from a double-dip. With no DTS track, the older DTS version will definitely gain in value I think.

Just to add, amazon also lists no DTS track

Shane D

Supporting Actor
the 4 disc set is adverstised as DTS, so does this mean they put it on the 4 disc version, but not the 2 disk? thats kinda lame.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
The Canadian release drops the DTS sound in favor on a French 5.1 DD (just like The Running man). Buy the disc from the US and you'll have your DTS track.

Real Name
Anthony
I don't think that's correct, Charlie. There seems to be only one version for both Canada and the US, which doesn't carry DTS. The DTS track is only available in the set with the two documentaries.

It's confusing and inexplicable but it seems to be the case. I'm happy to stand corrected but I've yet to see any hard evidence to the contrary. If you have some, let us know.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any version of SPR, so this is a no-brainer to me. Plus it appears to have more extras than the original disc. DTS means very little to me, anyway.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
so does the 4 disc set have both DTS and DD? I don't have a DTS decoder on my system, but I want all the goodies in the 4 disc set.

It would suck to be stuck with 2 channel Dolby until I get a new HT.

CraigL

Screenwriter
And apparently there isn't an overlap in extras either. It might be best to just keep the DTS version and buy the new version, if you care that much about the extras.

Personally, I have the R4 2 disc already with DTS. Debating what to do at this point.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I didn't get a review copy either, Colin, just that kit they sent out last week. Dissapointing, really, since I think people need to see a reason to upgrade since the DTS edition is pretty good by itself.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I'll chime in and echo what others have said: If they had put the DTS track on the 2 disc version it would have been a no-brainer for me to double dip. Looks like they're trying to push the higher priced version for those of us that already have it.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I am upset that the 2 disc does not have DTS. Since I don't have the original DTS version, I will probably buy the 4 disc set.

Does the 4 disc set have the same nice packaging that the 2 disc has?

Ovidi D

Auditioning
Hi there,

Do you mean a kind of tin case or digipack?
Another question is if the movie and extras have spanish subtitles.
Thank you.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Okay, I'll amend my statement to say that the wonderful print folk got copies but LOSERS LIKE ME are out in the cold! Now I feel bad - are you happy, Randy??? ;)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
If you have doubts about the new 2-Disc featuring DTS, here's a disclaimer so you don't have to be worried.

The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with an English DTS 5.1 Surround track, an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and a standard English Dolby Surround track. Extra material will include an inside look with the filmmakers, a Looking into the Past: Research, Screenplay and the Vision feature, a Making of a Platoon featurette, a look at the boot camp for the cast, Re-Creating D-Day: Omaha Beach and much more.

There you go. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks