-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Did Best Buy & Circuit City merge?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Mark Philp

Mark Philp

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 05:58 PM

A few days ago, there was a brief article in the local paper about talk of a Circuit City opening a store in our major mall just a few doors from Best Buy. Seems to me that I had read someplace that Best Buy was buying Circuit City. Any truth to this? I can see them going head-to-head like this if they are competitors, but it seems strange if they are both owned by the same company.

#2 of 5 Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,919 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 07:05 PM

I found a story about Circuit City potentially being sold but they're certainly not merging with Best Buy.

#3 of 5 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 03:04 AM

Best Buy is not buying Circuit City.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#4 of 5 MarkDude

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 07:32 AM

The Best Buy Corporation made a big enough mistake by buying Musicland -- I don't think they'd do it again with Circuit City...

--Mark--

#5 of 5 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,520 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 21 2004 - 07:09 AM

It might make sense if each had a separate market area, thereby creating one big national chain. But generally, they're across the street from each other so there'd be little market gain from them merging.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.