What's new

ENTERPRISE renewed (all discussion here please!) (1 Viewer)

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
A very short blurb from TVGuide.com:

ENTERPRISE REJOICE!: UPN has renewed the struggling Star Trek: Enterprise for a fourth season. In a bid to boost ratings, there's talk producers may recruit America's Next Top Model judge Janice Dickinson to play some creepy thing from outer space.

ok

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well I'm happy that it's been renewed... but the idea of recruiting Janice Dickinson sucks...I guess Berman is still in charge.

:angry:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think that was TV Guide being wiseasses, pointing out that America's Next Top Model is now UPN's top show (well, top non-Smackdown! show, at least).

If it's true, and especially if Berman's still in charge, it looks like accoutability in TV has taken another blow.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Variety also confirmed Enterprise's renewal with the possibility of it moving to Fridays.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

I certainly hope so. But I also thought folks were being wiseasses when it was annouced that "The Rock" would be guest-starring on Voyager. ;)

Regardless, I'm happy there will be another season. I just hope they bring in some new writers!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
If people didnt turn into Wonderfalls on a Friday they are going to turn into this?
Please make Trek go away for a few years.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
THe reason nobody will watch Enterprise on Friday night is because STargate SG1 in on Friday night! :)

I have a single tuner PVR. Can't record both. Hopefully they will be in different time slots.

Oh yeah, and there is also Joan of Arcadia.

So yeah that would kill Enterprise.

I am glad it is renewed, I have just about loved season 3.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The good news for the Enterprise faithful: So far the official word on StarTrek.com is a fourth season and a move to Friday at 9:00pm. No word if it is to be the last or if it will be 22 episodes as reported elsewhere.

More news is coming out of New York I'm sure. Some discussions indicate many sponsors are fans of Trek and others indicate a lack of Star Trek product would see many UPN affiliates drop out and thus affect the ratings for America's Top Model. So a loss of Trek would have a few negative effects on the network. And a lose of revenue for Viacom no doubt.

Addiditional unofficial news; a fifth season is not a given, ratings need to improve and the inclusion of more TOS aliens are in the works. Even the "Q" might show up. No word on creative staff yet.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

How about combining it with the existing thread on the Enterprise renewal? ;)

I'm going to close the "regime change" thread, since the point would now appear to be moot.

M.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Oh dear god. Because Q was a "TOS alien".

That's about the worst thing they could do.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tony-The "Q" thing was not even an official report, it's just hype and I shouldn't have posted that. It could be very well another actor portraying another "Q" so the John DeLancie "Q" might not be used, IMO.

This will be a make or break season so they've got to do things that will make sense and be entertaining. Lots of options for them to go into. TOS aliens make sense and some could be Romulans. The series got a very fortunate break and the fans will no doubt appreciate that. So TPTB have a lot to answer for and pull off or it's over.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I have to agree. The last time we saw a low-rated Star Trek series on Friday nights, it wound up cancelled. Only time will tell if history repeats itself.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
A long time ago (back in the mid-90s) the "Star Trek" following actually had a following that was considered to be mainstream.

Many people used to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation (I am going to spell stuff out. I get tired of all the ST abbreviations). In the late 80s, the original "Star Trek" from the 60s was the highest rated show in syndication (soon to lose the top ranking to Star Trek: The Next Generation).

This franchise was better before Paramount decided to use it to launch a network. "Star Trek (fill in the blank series)" was meant to be seen on the weekend at odd hours pre and post prime time. It isn't the sort of show that should be on up against "American Idol" and other network first-run shows.

Saturday nights at 6 p.m. CST were always the "Star Trek" hour where I lived. Throughout my youth in the 70s and 80s, that is where "Star Trek" aired. When Star Trek: The Next Generation came on, they put it in that time slot (and moved "Star Trek" to 5 p.m.).

Then Star Trek: Deep Space Nine came on the air and that aired Saturdays at 10 p.m. CST. Those were the best times for that show to air.

Saturdays were and always shall be the Star Trek timeslot. That is where the show used to "live long and prosper."

Star Trek: The Next Generation was good by-and-large because it had a good cast, acceptable stories, and a "kick ass" theme song (well, maybe it wasn't that great, but it was a lot better than the boring theme songs for every Star Trek series since...including that dorky Diane Warren song for "Enterprise").

Since when did adding a "sexy chick" make a Star Trek show good (I thought 7 of 9 was a cheesy gimmick)?

The "Star Trek" of the past wasn't based on hot women. If that is the strategy, then they need to have a show called "Star Trek: Ocean Patrol" and set the entire show on a Romulan beach where futuristic Federation Lifeguards run and frollick around in Speedos and thongs (Note to Rick Berman: I have this idea copyrighted).

On "Enterprise," they tried to make a hot Vulcan chick so that all the fanboys out there would be impressed. First of all, I have seen how Vulcans make love (see Star Trek III and Amok Time) and it really doesn't do anything for me.

The worst thing they ever did in "Star Trek" film was have Kim Cattrall play a Vulcan and shave the sides of her head.

They need to rename this franchise "Star Wreck" as soon as possible. The whole series has become some "inside reference" that no one finds relevant anymore.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

Then again, perhaps the worst thing was Uhura's "fan dance" in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

The fact that those guys were drooling over a 50 year old woman meant they really had been stuck in that outpost too long...

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Did you miss the episode where Kirk seduces the woman? ;) As I recall, the original Trek had it's share of attractive women on the show. Scantily clad ones at that. They just weren't regular characters in cat suits. :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hot women totally belong on Trek. It's just good when there's a reason for them to be hot. Flying around space, saving shit, and scoring alien strange is part and parcel of original Trek. Kirk is like Bond and Clint in space.

It's just stupid when they take a character who used to be a cyborg and therefore has no reason to try to be hot, but they make her clomp around in stripper-heels and wear a suit so tight you can hear her diaphragm crying for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks