-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ENTERPRISE renewed (all discussion here please!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
285 replies to this topic

#281 of 286 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
This is the best news I have heard in a long time I just hope their hands arent tied. I enjoyed all the books they wrote for Shatner except Federation. Hopefully their ideas will be excepted.

Actually, Mikel, Federation was a Reeves-Stevens work on their own with no Shatner input at all. That one was a great novel at that, spanning both the Original Series and Next Generation eras in a tale that came off much better than GENERATIONS did. When it came out, they could only tap-dance around what Berman and Co. were doing in GENERATIONS and make a couple of near-references to it without spoiling the film.

Quote:
Now if they could get Peter David too then I would start watching on a regular basis.

Actually, Peter David had been contacted to be a contributing writer to ENTERPRISE, but he stated on his official blog site that he didn't want to commute out to California to do the job.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#282 of 286 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for all the info Bill. Federation wasnt bad all the way through but the payoff was not good. If I remember right, the crews never actually got to meet which was dissapointing to me since I always wished they could. In Gerations, Picard got to meet Kirk but it would have been much better if it has actually been written to incorporated the old crew and the new crew. Don't you think?

Wow, so Peter David was asked? I love Imzadi, Q Squared and his other Trek books.

On the subject of Next Generation, has anyone heard that Michelle Forbes who played Ro Laren is going to be in a new genre TV show based on a comic book called Global Frequency?

#283 of 286 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 12:33 PM

Yep, though I think she prefers being called "Michelle Forbes from Homicide". Posted Image Haven't read it, but I'm sort of wondering how it'll work as a TV series, since the comic had new protagonists every issue.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#284 of 286 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 06:36 PM

Back to the budget cutbacks... I read in Starlog (I believe it was) that the show has always been shot using high definition video cameras rather than using film cameras (at what video resolution I don't know). It always looked different than "filmed" TV shows IMHO.

Yet now they say they're using HD cameras for the upcoming season in order to lower the budget.

Who's to be believed?

I've always wondered how they would show ST NG, DS9, and Voyager on high definition discs (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) since the shows were filmed in 35mm with Panavision cameras/lenses (easily beating out any current video format for resolution), but the effects work was done at 480 NTSC resolution (or close to it) in order to shave the effects budget. Will Paramount shell out the bucks to re-render and re-composite the effects shots of all the newer TV episodes to 1920x1080p in order to match the high def. re-transferred film footage?

Hmmm...

I still think the show needs to say buh-buy to B&B who have been the albatrosses around Star Trek's neck for so long and hire some new, fresh sci-fi writers.

Enterprise is so blah. I'm not talking about not enough T&A and explosions. That's been B&B's answer for their lack of decent scripts and sagging ratings all along. What I am saying is that without having a reason to care for these characters in the first place the show should be scrapped or totally re-tooled.

Why can't there be real drama without such forced, wooden dialog? It can't just be only the acting.

#285 of 286 Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 04:13 AM

Quote:
I read in Starlog (I believe it was) that the show has always been shot using high definition video cameras rather than using film cameras (at what video resolution I don't know). It always looked different than "filmed" TV shows IMHO.

Starlog must be wrong or you read it wrong.

#286 of 286 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
Enterprise is so blah. I'm not talking about not enough T&A and explosions. That's been B&B's answer for their lack of decent scripts

I'll drink to that. I hope B&B give the new writer Cotto and Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens can breathe some life into this...IF they are not given too many constraints to work against. As Ron Moore always said, they would shoot down most things that were original and the only reason they were given no constraints during DS9 is because B&B were busy creating Voyager.
They need to allow them to do what they want to do and keep their hands off.
I truely believe that an announcement , and the reality of, these two leaving or letting the other writers take charge, might actually bring back people who aren't watching regularly (like myself) and give the show a chance again.
B&B are bad PR for the show!

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow