Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ovation Sound and Vision?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Quinn

Quinn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 05:36 AM

How does this compare to Avia? I have DVE, but would like Avia due to the superior LFE test tones. However, I can't seem to find Avia at the stores close to work. Best Buy has Ovation. Is Ovation any good?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John Tami

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 07:13 AM

If that is the Sound & Vison Cal disc:

1.. Best Buys version is a rip off IMO...you can get it at most places like Fry's or Circuit City for like $15....minus the bogus Net links in BB's version that mean nothing (IMO) and allow them to sell it for double.

2. Guy @ Ovation (they make both this and Avia) said that this (the S&V disc) is an updated easy to use version of Avia that is good enough for 95% of users.

3. It has no Cal Sub tones....there are Sub tones...but not for Cal purposes. Email with Ovation verified that.

4. It is much less detailed then Avia or DVE...one filter..less test screens....it may be enough though. I've liked the results so far.

5. Latest versions of DVE may have the Sub tone fixed. (I just got it at deepdiscountdvd.com for $16 shipped free) I have not verified or used mine yet. Edward in here has given correction values if you use it messed up version. Works fine then.
JET

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Frank A

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 03:02 PM

Quinn, you can buy the Avia at both Amazon.com or Digitaleyes.net(I think it is net). I just ordered one from them.

thx, Frank

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted May 19 2004 - 04:00 PM

Avia is also by Ovation, but the S&V Home Theater Tune Up does not have all of the features of Avia.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 04:19 PM

Quote:
Latest versions of DVE may have the Sub tone fixed. (I just got it at deepdiscountdvd.com for $16 shipped free) I have not verified or used mine yet. Edward in here has given correction values if you use it messed up version. Works fine then.

Once you find out if they have been corrected or not please let me/the forum know, thanks!