Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Blu-Ray / HD-DVD - Where does this leave the UK?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 07:05 AM

I've read many great things about the next generation high-definition optical disc format(s) and, indeed, D-Theater (HD-VHS) and I'm getting quite excited. Okay, maybe I'm not that excited about D-VHS but that's a whole different thread. Anyway... We in England are WAY behind in HDTV technology. None of our broadcasters are transmitting in HDTV and, to my knowledge, there isn't a single HDTV on the market. Can I assume, therefore, that a high-definition pre-recorded media format is a seriously long way off for us Brits? I mean HDTV would have to catch on first, right? And J6P is even less inclined to embrace new technology over here than in the States. Virtually nobody here has even heard of laserdisc! "Gosh, it was the size of an LP?" is generally the response I get. Does anybody know what the future holds for us? John PS. At least I can take some comfort in the fact the Doctor Who returns to our screens next year (albeit in boring old low-definition)!

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 08:15 AM

Well, yes. Unless you import an ATSC-capable display that can be adapted to run on the UK's power requirements, as well as importing any forthcoming HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray machines.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 08:46 AM

Any "HD" projector will of course handle HD signals...as well as NTSC and PAL. I'd imagine you'll be able to import HD/BluRay players and import "R1 HD" discs...but that's a good question weather or not Europe will see such an HD format released natively. I'd say, "why not?" I mean...as long as studios have the capcity to produce pre-recorded software...why not sell it everywhere? I wonder if Europe would still try to force a digital HD format based on 50Hz refresh....hmmm.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,277 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 18 2004 - 09:05 AM

Well here's the ATSC audio specification: I'm sure that a prohibition on PAL speedup is in there someplace.....

www.atsc.org/standards/a_52a.pdf

Actually here's a pretty map showing which standard is adopted where on a worldwide basis:

www.atscforum.org/DTV_WorldMap.pdf

It looks like you guys in the UK got signed-up to a "standard definition only" system by the EU.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   John*C

John*C

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 11:20 AM

I buy a lot of DVD R2 off of Amazon.uk.com, if I can bring my CCard across the pond on the internet; you can do the same. There are a lot of DVD modifiers in the UK, and around the world, who will help you see other regions by selling you the whole shooting match player included. I went to a Illinois (USA State of)firm who modified a player, then sold it to me in early 2001; it still works like a charm and so do your countrys discs. Thank goodness the N.A.S.A. astronauts opened the flood gates, stating they coudn't watch discs from other regions; which led to modifying players to do the same legally!

O/T My Grandmother came from the UK, my last 2 discs from R2 are "Raise The Titanic" and "Britanic" Bro.(Brother)Posted Image

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 11:55 AM

Euro1080 broadcasts 50hz so that’s already happening. It’s not something I can see changing, or generally needing to change it must be said. The HDTV broadcast infrastructure down under is also 50hz I believe. Daniel (UK)

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   John*C

John*C

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 12:22 PM

Daniel I thought his question on topic was wide Screen dvd red or blu-ray, I didn't understand he was looking for hdtelevision, I don't have Cable or satelite by choice, too many commercials. So Solly Posted Image

O/T In the U.S. Navy 'So Solly' Day was last day before UDT(Underwater Diving Team) training (toughest grueling day) was over, now they are called a Seal(s) (Sea or Land) Posted Image

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Mat_R

Mat_R

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 12:49 PM

Yes, Australia does indeed broadcast at 50Hz. Of our three commercial stations, one of them (you know who you are) believes that 576p is "high-definition". The other 2 broadcast limited programming at 1440x1080i, hopefully moving upto 1920x1080i/p soon... Mathew Richards

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 01:02 PM

I would bet this time around Europe will be left in the cold as far as HD media discs... at least for a while and the U.S. and Asia/Japan will see them far sooner. Since the time table is a year to a year and a half (if something big doesn't happen to delay them) for introduction to the market, Europe and its H.T. consumers wouldn't be ready in time. However, if HD-DVD and Blu-Ray computer drives and the video cards and computer software to support them are ready to roll at about the same time, then Europe may be introduced to these formats on Windows PC's and Macs rather than using TV sets and set top players. Dan

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 02:02 PM

My only concern is for film-speed up like we have with "PAL" DVDs mastered from 24 fps film As long as the European HD "format" also allows for 1080 24P encoding...like we have in the states...then we're cool. 24 fps film content could be mastered in "native" form in 1080 24P digital and converted on playback (or left alone) for any display/scan rate.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users