What's new

The Phantom Tollbooth-Any idea where it is? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who remembers this movie? I got reminded of it the other day, and found that it's not really available anywhere anymore. I know it was out on VHS, but nothing about a DVD release. If nothing else, the Chuck Jones connection should give it some notiriety.

Any idea who owns it, or if there's any possibility of seing it on DVD?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It was an MGM release, and is part of the pre-'87 library owned by Warner Brothers. So, you'd have to contact Warner Home Video regarding that one. You'd think with the recent release of some of the vintage "Looney Tunes", this Chuck Jones feature would have been released by now.....

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's rumored to come near the end of the year, newly remastered from Warner. It'll also probably include "The Dot and the Line" as an extra.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
As Patrick said, I had asked Jerry Beck about this title earlier in the year and he had mentioned to me that it was being planned for a 2004 release and to his knowledge should include "The Dot and The Line" short as an extra supplement!

:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Great film!

I could have sworn I had this on DVD. I checked
out my DVD PROFILER (1,600 titles) list and found
out I didn't after all.

So I guess this means it was never released?! If
it had, I would have bought it right away.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Is it a bad sign when you have to check DVD Profiler to find out if you actually have something...

Great news about it being an 04 release though-I'll definitely pick up a copy.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I had a good chuckle at this thread title. Umm, no - 'cause it's a PHANTOM Tollbooth. Duh! :laugh: :D

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I would snap up this movie in a heartbeat. This is one of two filsm that no one believed me existed. I used to bang on about this movie as a kid - see, my gran told me that the Tollbooth was visiting our town and I was patiently waiting to step in... still am!!!

But as the years passed, I began to doubt I ever saw the film then, buy a bizzare stroke of luck, somebody mentioned it in a mag, I picked up the US video and discovered that it was the movie that I was looking for!

Same thing happened about a criminally ignored sci-fi film - Colossus The Forbin Project. Everyone kept telling me it waw Demon Seed, even though my descriptionof it is nothing like Demon Seed!!!

Really hope both Tollbooth and Colossus make it to DVD.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Hmm..2004 is in its final months, and this disc hasn't shown up on any schedules that I've seen. Does this mean that it's now slipped to 2005 (perhaps the Engineering appriximation of 2004)?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
No clue on the current status Chris, but given the animated film properties Warners been pouring out this past year and in the months coming (with several announced box sets already pushed back so as not to flood the market) I wouldnt be surprised if this was delayed for a 2005 date.

Jonny Halifax

Auditioning
Chris: I was just thinking about that movie too - now that I think about it I think I saw it with you and Trevor. Did you have a copy when you were a kid or did I see it in school?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Semi-OT but Chuck Jones other theatrical feature, "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" was recently announced for a January 01 release and is set to feature the bonus cartoon, "Yankee Doodle Cricket". The DVD will sport a "Chuck Jones Signature Edition" branding, hopefully the first of what will be a consistent release line for his animated features. I expect we'll see "The Phantom Tollbooth" next.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, this movie was apparently scheduled for 2004 at one point, and now we're well into 2005. Has there been any word from the Warner camp on the release? If they're releasing "Chuck Jones Signature" editions, then this movie should be in there...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's now late 2005, and I haven't seen or heard anything new. Anyone else know what's happening with this movie? Will we ever get a DVD?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
:confused:

Sorry guys, it'd been rumore by those involved that it was coming a while ago... I also want to see a release but have no idea what's going on.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi was not a theatrical feature; it was a half-hour special made for television, first broadcast in 1975. And it's definitely a winner. Has this shown up yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks