Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Phantom Tollbooth-Any idea where it is?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 12:56 AM

Am I the only one who remembers this movie? I got reminded of it the other day, and found that it's not really available anywhere anymore. I know it was out on VHS, but nothing about a DVD release. If nothing else, the Chuck Jones connection should give it some notiriety.

Any idea who owns it, or if there's any possibility of seing it on DVD?
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 02:38 AM

It was an MGM release, and is part of the pre-'87 library owned by Warner Brothers. So, you'd have to contact Warner Home Video regarding that one. You'd think with the recent release of some of the vintage "Looney Tunes", this Chuck Jones feature would have been released by now.....
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted May 18 2004 - 03:07 AM

It's rumored to come near the end of the year, newly remastered from Warner. It'll also probably include "The Dot and the Line" as an extra.

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 04:34 AM

I remembered it (not the name) and went looking for the name in the Movies forum recently. http://www.hometheat....hreadid=195870

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 04:43 AM

As Patrick said, I had asked Jerry Beck about this title earlier in the year and he had mentioned to me that it was being planned for a 2004 release and to his knowledge should include "The Dot and The Line" short as an extra supplement!

Posted Image

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,569 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 04:54 AM

Great film!

I could have sworn I had this on DVD. I checked
out my DVD PROFILER (1,600 titles) list and found
out I didn't after all.

So I guess this means it was never released?! If
it had, I would have bought it right away.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 05:01 AM

Quote:
I could have sworn I had this on DVD. I checked
out my DVD PROFILER (1,600 titles) list and found
out I didn't after all.

Is it a bad sign when you have to check DVD Profiler to find out if you actually have something...

Great news about it being an 04 release though-I'll definitely pick up a copy.

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 08:37 AM

I had a good chuckle at this thread title.
Quote:
The Phantom Tollbooth-Any idea where it is?
Umm, no - 'cause it's a PHANTOM Tollbooth. Duh! Posted Image Posted Image

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 09:50 AM

I would snap up this movie in a heartbeat. This is one of two filsm that no one believed me existed. I used to bang on about this movie as a kid - see, my gran told me that the Tollbooth was visiting our town and I was patiently waiting to step in... still am!!!

But as the years passed, I began to doubt I ever saw the film then, buy a bizzare stroke of luck, somebody mentioned it in a mag, I picked up the US video and discovered that it was the movie that I was looking for!

Same thing happened about a criminally ignored sci-fi film - Colossus The Forbin Project. Everyone kept telling me it waw Demon Seed, even though my descriptionof it is nothing like Demon Seed!!!

Really hope both Tollbooth and Colossus make it to DVD.

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
As Patrick said, I had asked Jerry Beck about this title earlier in the year and he had mentioned to me that it was being planned for a 2004 release and to his knowledge should include "The Dot and The Line" short as an extra supplement!

Hmm..2004 is in its final months, and this disc hasn't shown up on any schedules that I've seen. Does this mean that it's now slipped to 2005 (perhaps the Engineering appriximation of 2004)?

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 11:20 AM

No clue on the current status Chris, but given the animated film properties Warners been pouring out this past year and in the months coming (with several announced box sets already pushed back so as not to flood the market) I wouldnt be surprised if this was delayed for a 2005 date.

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Jonny Halifax

Jonny Halifax

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 11:36 AM

Chris: I was just thinking about that movie too - now that I think about it I think I saw it with you and Trevor. Did you have a copy when you were a kid or did I see it in school?

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 12:04 PM

Quote:
Chris: I was just thinking about that movie too - now that I think about it I think I saw it with you and Trevor. Did you have a copy when you were a kid or did I see it in school?

Yeah, we had a copy at one point, so you probably saw it with us.

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 01:02 PM

Semi-OT but Chuck Jones other theatrical feature, "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" was recently announced for a January 01 release and is set to feature the bonus cartoon, "Yankee Doodle Cricket". The DVD will sport a "Chuck Jones Signature Edition" branding, hopefully the first of what will be a consistent release line for his animated features. I expect we'll see "The Phantom Tollbooth" next.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 12:40 AM

Well, this movie was apparently scheduled for 2004 at one point, and now we're well into 2005. Has there been any word from the Warner camp on the release? If they're releasing "Chuck Jones Signature" editions, then this movie should be in there...

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted May 09 2005 - 02:41 AM

Quote:
If they're releasing "Chuck Jones Signature" editions, then this movie should be in there...

The "Chuck Jones Signature" DVD's are from Artisan/Lion's Gate (F.H.E. has distribution), I think.

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 04:51 AM

Well, it's now late 2005, and I haven't seen or heard anything new. Anyone else know what's happening with this movie? Will we ever get a DVD?

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image

Sorry guys, it'd been rumore by those involved that it was coming a while ago... I also want to see a release but have no idea what's going on.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted October 17 2005 - 07:54 AM

It'll also probably include "The Dot and the Line" as an extra.

"The Dot and the Line" was released recently as an extra on THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT.

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted October 17 2005 - 04:21 PM

Quote:
Semi-OT but Chuck Jones other theatrical feature, "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" was recently announced for a January 01 release and is set to feature the bonus cartoon, "Yankee Doodle Cricket". The DVD will sport a "Chuck Jones Signature Edition" branding, hopefully the first of what will be a consistent release line for his animated features. I expect we'll see "The Phantom Tollbooth" next.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi was not a theatrical feature; it was a half-hour special made for television, first broadcast in 1975. And it's definitely a winner. Has this shown up yet?

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow