Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Linking to Outlook, not Outlook Express

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 12:23 PM

I have a strange problem on my home PC that I was hoping one of you could help me fix. I have the full Outlook (2000) installed on my system and have from the beginning. And yet, whenever I click on an email link on a webpage, Outlook Express launches instead of Outlook. Needless to say, I'd rather it open the full Outlook.

I've dug around for a setting/configuration to fix this but can't locate anything. Can you all help me re-associate Outlook with webmail links?

Thanks!

-greg

#2 of 6 Drew Olufson

Drew Olufson

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 12:28 PM

Try opening Internet Explorer, Then Clicking on Tools, Opening Internet Options, Clicking on Programs Tab, and then changing your E-Mail options. Hopefully that will work for you..Posted Image

#3 of 6 gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 12:27 PM

That's what's so strange, Drew. Outlook, not Outlook Express *IS* the chosen program for email in Internet Options.

To be honest, this puppy has me stumped!

-greg

#4 of 6 Drew Olufson

Drew Olufson

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 01:32 PM

Yes, that is strange... have you opened Outlook and looked under Options, Settings, Other Tab and checked the box that says make Outlook your default program for E-mail, etc?

Posted Image

#5 of 6 Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 11:15 AM

Greg,

If you are comfortable with Regedit.exe, run it and open up the key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTmailtoshellopencommand

What does it have for the "(Default)" value? If it has something relating to Outlook Express, that is most likely where the problem is. I have Outlook as my mailto: handler and my value for that key is:

"C:PROGRA~1MICROS~2OFFICE11OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"

If yours is pointing to something OE-related instead of Outlook, you should be able to find the correct value by using regedit to open the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClientsMailMicrosoft OutlookProtocolsmailtoshellopencommand

Then look at its "(Default)" value. That is the value you want to copy to the original key's "(Default)" value.

Disclaimer: PLEASE be careful with regedit if you aren't used to using it (even if you are, actually). You can really screw up a Windows system if you delete or change the wrong values.
Scott Barnhart

#6 of 6 gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 12:18 PM

Bingo, Scott! That did it!

Thanks so much! I thought it might have been something screwed up in the Registry, but I was unsure where to look. Now everything works as it should.

Thanks!

-greg