What's new

Linking to Outlook, not Outlook Express (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I have a strange problem on my home PC that I was hoping one of you could help me fix. I have the full Outlook (2000) installed on my system and have from the beginning. And yet, whenever I click on an email link on a webpage, Outlook Express launches instead of Outlook. Needless to say, I'd rather it open the full Outlook.

I've dug around for a setting/configuration to fix this but can't locate anything. Can you all help me re-associate Outlook with webmail links?

Thanks!

-greg

Drew Olufson

Auditioning
Try opening Internet Explorer, Then Clicking on Tools, Opening Internet Options, Clicking on Programs Tab, and then changing your E-Mail options. Hopefully that will work for you..:)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
That's what's so strange, Drew. Outlook, not Outlook Express *IS* the chosen program for email in Internet Options.

To be honest, this puppy has me stumped!

-greg

Drew Olufson

Auditioning
Yes, that is strange... have you opened Outlook and looked under Options, Settings, Other Tab and checked the box that says make Outlook your default program for E-mail, etc?

:)

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Greg,

If you are comfortable with Regedit.exe, run it and open up the key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTmailtoshellopencommand

What does it have for the "(Default)" value? If it has something relating to Outlook Express, that is most likely where the problem is. I have Outlook as my mailto: handler and my value for that key is:

"C:PROGRA~1MICROS~2OFFICE11OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"

If yours is pointing to something OE-related instead of Outlook, you should be able to find the correct value by using regedit to open the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClientsMailMicrosoft OutlookProtocolsmailtoshellopencommand

Then look at its "(Default)" value. That is the value you want to copy to the original key's "(Default)" value.

Disclaimer: PLEASE be careful with regedit if you aren't used to using it (even if you are, actually). You can really screw up a Windows system if you delete or change the wrong values.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Bingo, Scott! That did it!

Thanks so much! I thought it might have been something screwed up in the Registry, but I was unsure where to look. Now everything works as it should.

Thanks!

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks