What's new

For men that shave their head...... (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay....

I have been wanting to do this for a while....

I am mostly going to shave my head completely
bald for the Summer.

This is no joke, though I find it a little funny
as I write all this down thinking I am actually
going to do this.....

...but I probably will.

How difficult is it to maintain a polished chrome?

How often do you need to shave, and quite frankly,
how difficult/easy is it to do since I imagine it
is difficult when you can't see behind your head.

Once I get the barber to take it all off and polish
me up, what kind of razor or clippers do I need to
keep myself maintained?

Yes, I am really thinking of doing this.

Only chrome domes respond please!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Okay, I'm violating your last request, only because I got PRETTY close to completely bald. I just couldn't bring myself to shave because I already hate shaving what little I have on my face and the goal was to actually spend LESS time grooming. If you just want to have things be easy the easiest would just be to clipper cut it without a guard. 10 minutes, tops. If you shave it will grow back to that point pretty quickly.

When you are completely bald, more than likely the strangest part will be hearing a "slap" sound when you put your hand on your head, rather than the usual "fuff" from having hair. Yes, I did try going completely bald once, but all I had was an electric shaver. It was not fun. Didn't get completely clean and that razor burn was awful.

Remember, we expect photographs!

BarryRR

Agent
Another violation here, I guess.

I'm balding far more than I want to, so I can't figure why people with a bountiful head of hair would want to shave it off! I'd give anything to keep a full head of hair.

:b

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Personally, I use a razor; mach 3 turbo. Apply shaving cream and start shaving away! The first couple of times you're bound to get some cuts, but after awhile it becomes routine. The first thing you'll notice is that the part of your head that used to have hair is much less tan the rest of your skin, so be sure to get get out in the sun and get the skin as tan as the rest of your body (looks awkward). BE SURE TO USE SUN LOTION ON YOUR HEAD! You're going to get sun burn if you don't. That's all the info I can give you.

My hair grows rapidly fast, so I shave every 4 days.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
I went b.a.b. (bare @$$ bald) one summer years ago. Skin bald.

The neatest thing? Putting stuff on your head where hair used to be. Try a nice cool pillow. Or a plastic bag. Or your cat. Showers become very interesting.

The not so neat thing? When it's longer than stubble, but not much longer than that and getting caught on towels, shirts, headrests, etc.

Good luck!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I've been thinking about doing this as well.
What about other methods of hair removal such as Nair? I would much rather do that once a week than shave with a razor and gel.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I shave with mach 3 turbo in the shower. No mirror needed. Only have cut myself once.

Are you planning on shaving it, or using clippers and cutting it without a guard?

I would never Nair my head, that sounds terrible. Just throw some shaving cream and shave with the direction the hair grows. You could go against the grain, but I don't recommend it. I've done it, and unless you have a brand new razor then it will be hell. Like I said, you get so used to it that you can do it in 10 minutes and not even need a mirror. I shave it about every 4 days. I usually shave with a new razor, then use that razor for my face for the week. Then use it again to shave my head. Then it starts getting a little worn out so I'll replace it.

I can't imagine the shock of going from hair one day to bald the next. I gradually over months kept clipping it shorter and shorter until one day just shaved it.

One thing to remember, and it's kind of gross (I just happen to know this because I work in law enforcement, and a lot of guys shave their head). When people first shave their head, they tend to always rub their head all the time with their hands. All day long that's all they do, is just stroke their hands on their head. Don't do this, don't even touch it. It's just like anything, if you sat and rubbed your dirty fingers on your face all day long (don't know why you would), then your face, and head, will break out. Your fingers are extremely dirty and have so much oil on them. So try and resist the urge.

Hope that's more than enough info. Just beware, the first time you sleep on a pillow with no hair it feels very gross! :) After a while it feels great, especially in the winter time when the wind is blowing.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
A:WAYS wear a hat when you'll be outside for more than a coupla hours! Last year I golfed 3 days without and by the third I had a bad case of heatstroke.

I just use clippers.

Brent

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
I use clippers without a guard also. If you don't do it for a week or two it's no problem. Bald you have to shave at least every couple of days.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I shaved the old pate on a whim a few summers ago and it was a fun change but I hated the constant upkeep required to keep it looking good. And here I thought it would be lower maintenance than a head full of hair. The other downside is that if you decide to grow it out again you'll look like an escaped convict for a few months as your hair comes in all stubbly and uneven.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I started shaving my head last spring and have continued it for the warmer months this year.

I use the HeadBlade to shave and it's the easiest/fastest method I've found. Headblade also makes a great shaving cream. I shave every other day to keep it consistent with my facial shaving and both take no more than 10 minutes combined.

Oh, and yeah, be sure to remember your sunscreen or wear a hat. ;)

Rafael.

Steven M*M*

Auditioning
I shave my head daily, along with my face. I just use a razor and I have a mirror in the shower, it's just a lot easier to do it in the shower. I've been shaving my head for a few years now, so it takes maybe 5 minutes to do my face and head.

I still like having my head bald and I feel it's much easier than when I had hair. Good Luck and Go for it!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rafael,

The Headblade looks like a nifty little device.
I am ordering one today along with an accessory
kit of blades.

Tell me -- is it easy to get used to this on the
first run? Have you ever cut yourself with it?
Do you need any of the other lotions they sell or
is simple Gillette shaving gel fine enough?

I am also interested in how many of you had a
substantial amount of hair but decided you either
looked better bald or found it easier to stay
clean shaved?

I'd also thought I'd throw this one out there....

Do you find women to be more attracted to the
bald look?

Very interested to hear your thoughts.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sure -- Patrick Stewart, Montel Williams and
Bruce Willis all look very cool bald.

...doesn't mean I will.

Still, this is something I have wanted to do for
a long time. I just have to get the "balls" to
actually do it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I started buzzing my hair while I was in college and most of my friends at that time were women. There was many a time when we'd just be hanging out in the dorm lounge or even out in a restaurant I'd have a couple of my female friends just running their hands over my head because they liked how it felt. No complaints on my end either :) We'd get some funny looks sometimes.

Of course things are different now, being almost 10 years graduated and things like that just don't fly in a professional work environment.

When I graduated I worked up a "Top 10 Questions I Know You're Going to Ask Me" to send with my invitations. One of the questions was "When are you going to grow your hair out?" My answer was "When women stop showing an interest in running their hands over my head." I started growing out my hair last November ;)

Whether women find it attractive, I think it just depends on the woman. Since I've grown out my hair I've had more compliments from the older women (mother types) I know as it softens my look. When I was buzzing I looked a lot "tougher" and even more so when I grew a goatee, so I'm sure that would appeal to a different, perhaps younger, woman.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

I know many men who find Mr. Stewart sexy. :)

Ron, screenshots?

Ron, I have a head of hair and I used to shave it down for fighting. Why? I thought I was faster? Who knows.
It was very easy to get used to shaving it down to a number 1 all over. Going chrome-dome was not easy. It just looked strange. It takes some getting used to, but you will. I swear I had more women hitting on me, while I was chromed.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Not everyone's head is the ideal shape either (e.g. Willis et al). Before you shave I would suggest feeling for any bumps, divets, etc. and getting a general idea of the shape of your head. Even if you don't you'll find out pretty quickly whether it suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks