Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

RPTV and speakers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris Homer

Chris Homer

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 04:48 AM

Kind of a toss up between what forum to put this in, but I'll try here.

I just received my Sony KDP51WS550 and I have some Paradigm MkII 3se's which are equivalent to monitor 3's today. unfortunately they are not shielded. I know unshielded speakers are suppose to interfere with RPTV's as with direct views, but I put my Paradigm Titan's up to the edge of the TV and noticed no interference while on a blue screen.

Is it possible to get the speakers close to the TV and have no ill affects? Here's a picture of how bad my room layout is.
Posted Image
My only other option would be to mount the speakers up in the triangular area above which would put them at 9' or so in height.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 05:32 AM

You should be ok. Keep in mind that with a CRT-based RPTV, the guns which would be affected by the magnetic fields are in the bottom front of the TV. A direct-view, however, the body of the TV is the tube itself, so putting a speaker right next to a direct view puts it right next to the tube.

Also, you likely wouldn't see distortion on a full-blue, or full color screen at all. If you threw up a convergence grid (a grid of white lines) you would be able to see distortions from magnetic fields better. If convergence is not thrown off with the speakers right next to the side (very unlikely to cause a problem), then you're good to go. Posted Image

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 06:33 AM

Chris, Chris has served you well with his answer. The CRTs in an RPTV are buried deep and far from those unshielded speakers. If I may be so bold, however, I would suggest that you try to find some way to position those left and right fronts on the same plain — both of them at roughly the height of your ears.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris Homer

Chris Homer

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 11:39 AM

Those are my Titan's which I don't use for the fronts and I just slapped them up. The 3se MkII are a taller speaker and I place them on the stand that the right speaker is on in the picture. Unfortunately I won't have much room for the speaker on the left of the picture so that speaker will be right next to the TV and for balancing I will put the other speaker the same way with the components off the the far right. Thanks for the info. I will test with the convergence grid to make sure. Hopefully they will not cause an issue since I really don't want to buy new speakers.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris Homer

Chris Homer

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 04:40 AM

Went to the convergence setup and noticed no visible interference and also put DVE in and went to the overscan screen and didn't see anything there. I'd assume I'm looking for the same thing I would get on my directview and that is discoloration in a radius pattern.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 04:55 AM

no, this is why I recommended something like a convergence grid. Discoloration occurs on a direct-view happens because of the movement of the beam to other phosphor colors and the shadow mask, which is not present at all on a 3-gun CRT RPTV. If you put up a full-white field, you might be able to heavily affect things without noticing too much difference at all. With a convergence grid you'll very easily see if you are affecting one color even slightly.

Regardless, as predicted, you should have no problem with the speakers at those distances, they really are pretty far away from the guns. The only time it would be an issue is if you had a speaker down in front of your TV, like an unshielded center, or had a subwoofer there or something. So sounds like you're good to go! Posted Image

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 02:11 PM

Jack, Chris, I have a similar question, but a slightly different setup. I have a Mitsubishi 65511 RPTV, a pair of Infinity Alpha 50's as my front, and an Infinity 37c as my center. The 37c is shielded, and sets on the top of the set. The 50's, however, are not shielded (AFAIK), and I do not have the room to place them the recommended 3' on either side of the set. Indeed, they are about 5" away from the edge of the cabinet on either side. I do not see any ill effects on the conv. grid, but am wondering if this is too close to the guns. Thx! Peace... Derek
Peace... Derek

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 05:32 PM

Like we said, the guns are clustered in the middle at the bottom usually the front. The box is probably quite a bit wider than the guns, so you already have a bunch of inches between things even if you had the speakers literally pressing against the edge of the TV cabinet. If you are worried, move them close and see if anything happens. IF nothing happens you know that further than that you are well enough away. You can't really "hurt" things too much with minor magnetic fields like this on an RPTV. You can if it's severe. RPTVs are different than direct views, so while I won't say there is *no* risk of damage, lets just say that that risk would take a pretty ridicuous magnetic field right next to the gun. If there is no visible effect, I wouldn't worry about a thing. If it bothers you, try my experiment, move the speakers as close as you possibly can and see if even then it affects a darn thing. Likely not.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 11:04 PM

Thx, Chris!
Peace... Derek

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users