What's new

Do you ever worry about a new format replacing your beloved DVD collection? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Some people here have some pretty serious DVD collections, and others like me do not. But do you guys ever worry about a new format coming out making DVD’s slowly obsolete, just like DVD has done to VHS and LD. I feel very bad for people who though that laser disc was the next best thing and built up a collection only to have it replaced by DVD’s a few years later. Brings to mind an episode of MTV Cribs, Rob Zombie had a walk in closet full of movies and he stated that he was re-buying DVD’s of everything he had on LD. Do you ever think about the same thing happening to DVD’s? Its kind of a scary thought but it may be one reason that I have not built up a huge collection, for the fear of a new format. It seems that DVD’s have some serious staying power, and I have no idea how long it would be before something would come out that could best it, I would hope a long, long time from now, but the way technology moves I guess you never know. Then even if there is something new it has to be substantially better for the mainstream to buy into it, DVD’s where a HUGE improvement over VHS and HDTV is a HUGE improvement over standard analog cable, but SACD and DVD-A while in my mind and many others here is a huge improvement over CD’s, it is not enough for the mainstream to buy into it, as is seen by the lack of titles. Anyway a topic like this has probably been posted before I’m sure, but maybe we can get a good discussion going on here.

EDIT: Now that I think of it this is probably not the appropriate place to even post this, so mods feel free to move it to a more appropriate spot (of there is one)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
A couple of thoughts:

DVD-A and SACD certainly aren't going to displace the CD anytime soon. I view whatever the next version of "DVD" similarly. Most people will be happy enough with DVD. Still better than 480i NTSC TV, still better than VHS. Sure, "HD" DVD will be better than DVD, but I don't think most people are going to care.

DVD is/was the fastest growing consumer electronics product ever introduced. I don't think the movie studios are going to be too quick to mess with that. Plus, if the BluRay/HD-DVD battle continues, it will just ensure a longer future for DVD.

Just because somethine is "better", doesn't mean it will win. (See: Beta, DAT, etc.) Marketing wins, not technology. My opinion, anyway. :)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I think that DVD is good enough, so that I will not feel the need to replace every title in my collection as I did with VHS and most of my LDs. The madness has to stop somewhere!

Ric

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

Why feel bad? Yesterday afternoon while cleaning out a closet I happened upon a box full of vhs tapes that has been gathering dust since I got my first DVD player 6 years ago. Formats come and go, I don't feel bad about that at all.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Nope not one iota. I still use my Laserdisc player for movies that won't see the light of day on DVD.

Whatever tries to replace DVD will really need to be something. I just can't forsee myself replacing every title I have with an HD version.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
I purposefully have the smallest, most selective movie collection, subscribing to the 'less is more' theory.

So it wouldn't hurt me too hard financially to make the switch. Even though it is slightly annoying getting comfortable with a format and having to start from scratch.

Yet, I too wonder if Blu Ray will be a HUGE enough improvement to push Joe Sixpack into replacing his standard DVD collection. Is the average person really as interested in picture quality as we are?

I think the DVD format is superb, it's just limited by standard definition. When you look at a true Hi-Def image, SD looks very ordinary.

To me picture quality is everything and I already find SD television and DVD obsolete, so I can't wait for Blu Ray DVD.

But when could I honestly expect to hold a Blu Ray DVD of say, Pee Wee's Big Adventure in my hand?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't worry me in the least. DVD is the best format yet for HT presentation & I'm pretty satisfied.

I'll think about HD-DVD when it becomes a reality & even then there's no guarantee.

Why worry? Enjoy what you have today & the next day. There are more important things in life to concentrate on. :)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
The Blue ray or HD-DVD will only appeal to the
fans who have the plasma sets and high priced
theater rooms. Joe Six Pack fans are the casual movie
watchers, so they won't make the jump to the next format
(especially if it isn't backwards compatable to DVD).
DVD has become too mainstream to be squashed by the next
new format. Laserdisc was defeated because of price of discs, among other reasons. DVD is here to stay for a
long, long time. :D

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
The rational side of me agrees with that, but the AV geek in me hopes it aint so.

It's a bummer because DVD and Hi-Def are so designed to go together. It's a shame Hi-Def dragged it's feet leaving DVD to debut only in Standard Def. It would've been ideal if DVD debuted in HD as SD is selling the format short.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Well I owned somewhere around 800 VHS tapes ( big movie freak) and when I moved out of state I didn't want to take them all with me so I gave them to my father. I had a dvd player prior to moving, but only owned maybe 4 dvd's. It wasn't until the last two years that I really started buying more movies on dvd. I have around 130 dvd movies and 7 tv series dvd boxsets.

If something were to happen and a new format were to come out I'm sure I will make do with my dvd player and dvd's for as long as I had to until I could afford to change over ( if I did at all).

I'm not as fanatic about owning the newest or latest thing.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
My collection like Darrens is limited, so no change would really hurt me.

About laserdiscs. I do feel bad for the people spending $100 per movie. I would want to puke now.

Luckily, I only owned two laserdisc sets, so it really wasnt that big of a deal.

I build limited collections of all sorts. I never build a huge collection of anything. That way it is extremely easy for me to move up and I dont ever have to take a hit.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I cannot wait until DVD's are available in HD. As far as I'm concerned, it can't happen soon enough.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
No

O/T because I am looking at a record (vinyl) player that plays 78,45, and 33 1/3 Revolutions per minute, CD player, and Compact Cassette Recorder~advertised in a junk mail catalog sent to me. I believe what has been produced can be updated to use the same, only different sound or vision or in this case a combo of what used to be popular at one time IMHO :)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

HD-DVD better be backward compatible. I was an early adopter of DVD and went nuts in the early days so I have a nice collection.

I realize this is not apples to apples, but IMHO one of the reasons Sony has beaten the pants off of everybody in the video game market is b/c the ps2 is backward compatible with the games for the ps1.

Peace,

DM

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
...not in the least! In fact, I've already replaced some DVD's with D-VHS. I recently got MASTER AND COMMANDER on D-VHS instead of DVD...

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I'm looking forward to HD-DVD but I think its not going to be a particularily satisfying experience in some ways:

1. I think there will still be 2 blu-ray dvd editions, probably superbit blu-ray etc.
It wouldn't surprise me if supplements in a few years are recorded in hidef too - so space will always be stretched. So I don't think the market will get any simplier or less double dips in the future.

2. Although I've never seen hidef - I've read plenty of posts of those who have and many say that after highdef, standard dvds don't look good anymore.
So even though I'm thinking - I'll only upgrade the 'key' films eg Lord of the rings etc, will I end up changing all of my 300+ dvds to high def? I like them all. Even films non epic films like Dead Poets Society, I think upgrading to a high def version would be too tempting. I think if you love a movie - you will find yourself tempted to get the high def version even if its not a particulily visual film.

3. When we all start upgrading - we'll try and dump our old dvds on ebay - soon they will be worthless on the secondhand market.

But despite all the above - I say bring on HD-DVD. I'm dreaming of films like Close Encounters, Excalibur, Blade Runner.... and yes even Dead Poets Society on HD-DVD.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
As long as these so called obsolete formats still have people buying the discs/tapes or winning them at auction & playing them on Hardware, then the format is not obsolete!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nope, not at all.

I still have my very large laser disc collection and two players in working order to watch them on. Any new DVD format would have to be backward compatible with regular DVds to enjoy anything other than a niche success.

If we always worried about our collections becoming obsolete why would we ever invest in anything? Change is constant, there's always something "new" on the horizon. Sometimes it floats, sometimes it sinks. Why worry? What happens will happen.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I say bring it on. I agree that DVD quality video was low from the get go. don't get me wrong. I LOVE my anamorphic DVDs and they are the best way BY FAR to own these movies from home theater aside from your own 35mm copy.

But compared to HD? man, no offense but even HD isn't anywhere near the quality of film. I know 10 years from now we will be looking at the prospect of a better format with twice the resolution of 720P and 1080I HD-DVD.

But I can't wait for it. I am tired of having my 10 year old PC games have a higher resolution than my movies.

My collection is small compared to most here with under 300 DVDs. But I KNEW from the get go in '97 these were to hold me over until HD-DVD. the way I saw it is: is it worth paying $20 to $40 to have this movie in the best format available? YOU BET!

What is the alternative? being without it for 6 to 10 years until the HD release?

Besides it will take a while for to be re-released. and lets face it, TV product might not improve that much. unless it was film based and the go to the source I think we already have the best possible resolution for TV like married with Children. I LOVE that show but do I need HD bundys?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks