-

Photo
- - - - -

Need Contact Lens Recommendations.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 01:20 AM

As of now, I'm looking for comfort and ones I can wear for a long period of time (12 - 14 hours).

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 03:50 AM

Definetly look into the lenses by Johnson & Johnson. They have several products to fit all kinds of wearing schedules.Acuvue,Surevue, lenses with Hydroclear etc... They have the best product on the market with more coming.

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Todd K

Todd K

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 03:51 AM

I heartily recommend proclear compatibles, by CooperVision. I've been wearing them about 8 years now, and have been told they're among the best by multiple doctors. Supposedly it's the high water content. They're monthly disposables. Ask your eye care practitioner.

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 04:02 AM

Only useful advice: Try as many as you can. Some fit better than others. In fact, one eye can take one brand, and the other another one.

Do you have astigmatism? If so, it may take a long time before you can find one that fits. I haven't found one yet that works for me, especially in this dry environment. Western Canada is about to head into the worst drought since the depression, which makes wearing contacts impossible for a lot of people...
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Ralph_G

Ralph_G

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 04:56 AM

Quote:
Only useful advice: Try as many as you can. Some fit better than others. In fact, one eye can take one brand, and the other another one.

Excellent advice

I have found Ciba's Focus Night and Day lenses as well as Vistakon's Acuvue Advance are two of the better performing contact lenses when it comes to comfort for long periods of time.

CooperVision also makes a wonderful lens, however their customer service as of late is terrible. I really don't like to deal with them unless I have to.Posted Image

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 06:32 AM

I reccomend Baush & Lomb's Optima FW lenses. I've been using them for 5 or 6 years now. Very comfortable. J&J Acuvue lenses are also good.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 08:18 AM

The Vistakon J&J product line are superb. They have some of the best line of lenses for all types of fitting and wear schedule. Their range of powers/ base curve/ axis are so broad I'm sure you would fit into something. They have the best costumer service around.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,666 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 11:48 AM

And I can vouch for Acuvue 2s.

I think that contacts have come a long way, and the fact that there are many people who vouch for many brands attests to that.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Kim Donald

Kim Donald

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 12:24 AM

after using Acuvue's since thay first came out then Acuvue 2s, Last time I ran out the place I buy them was out and gave me a sample of Focus Dailies to try until mine came in, I found the focus to be much better, if I forget to take them out, I wake up fine the next mourning and can even use them two days without knowing I have lenses in.
kd

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 02:51 AM

Thanks. My problem is I get the dry/plastic feeling after only four hours of wear. But these new contacs have my intrigued.

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter

• 1,869 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 03:19 AM

My mom's an optometrist so I get freebies and beta tests. Ciba's Focus Night and Day is my personal favorite for wearing long periods. (I still don't sleep in them because even though you can.. it's not recommended)

I beta tested some Acuvue contact lenses called galyfilcon A. It came in a Yellow generic looking box. I just looked it up, and it appears that it may now be Acuvues Advance with Hydraclear.

I don't know if they under went any changes, but I just like the Ciba Night and Days a lot better. The Galyfilcon A contacts might better than Acuvue 2s which I also tried. They are more slimy/wet.

The Acuvues are cheaper than the Focus Night and days though, but I think my eyes get more oxygen with the Focus.

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Phil_L

Phil_L

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 03:56 PM

I recommend the Focus daily disposables. I can wear them 16-18 hours and I love being able to throw them away at the end of the day. They are a bit more expensive but they are really hassle-free.

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 02:29 AM

The Acuvue Advance with Hydroclear are the best lenses on the market for that catagory. They hydroclear keeps the eye moist and they have some of the highest oxygen permiability around.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 03:34 AM

Should any optometrist have these?

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 05:13 AM

They have been on the market for several months now and most doctors should be carrying them.

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 12:55 AM

Let us know what you decide and how you compare them.

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 08:16 AM

I have been wearing contat lens for 28 years. While I dont have a specific problem with continuing to use them, I have for a long time been considering alternatives to contact or glasses. Basicly surgery.

Recently I have been made aware of a different approch to this problem. Its called Gentle Vision Shaping System (GVSS). Here's a quote from one web site with its link.

Quote:
GVSS, an Alternative to Glasses, Contacts and Surgery!

The Gentle Vision Shaping System (GVSS) uses a vision retainer to gradually re-shape the front surface of the eye (the cornea) to temporarily eliminate or reduce nearsightedness (myopia) or astigmatism during waking hours. GVSS vision retainers are similar to contact lenses and are usually worn during sleep. They are removed upon awakening and provide clear vision without using glasses or contact lenses. Nightly wear is needed to maintain clear vision during the day. The retainers are comfortable and very easy to care for.
Patients can see all day without glasses, contact lenses or laser surgery. And by utilizing FDA approved materials, GVSS is a safe and effective option for both children and adults. Paragon Vision Sciences is the maker of the Paragon CRT® lens, the material and lens design used in our GVSS system. To see how a GVSS vision retainer's work while you sleep, click here.

http://www.gentlevis.../whatisgvss.php

Has anyone else heard of this procedure or tried it?
Mark F. Leiter

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Ralph_G

Ralph_G

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 08:34 AM

Also known as Orthokeratology (ortho-k) or Corneal Refractive Therapy (CRT). We have done this with several patients with varied results.

First of all, it is only available for patient's that suffer from myopia (nearsighted) and/or slight astigmatism.
It involves wearing RGP (hard) contact lenses while you sleep in attempt to reshape the corneal surface thus eliminating the need for glasses during the day time hours. While 20/20 vision is the target, 20/40 (the legal visual minimum for driving) is considered acceptable.

This is not a permanent procedure. The contact lenses must be worn on a nightly basis, however it is not uncommon to be able to skip a night here or there.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 08:39 AM

Rigid Gas Permeables......I remember the days....Posted Image

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 08:51 AM

I still wear gas perms to this day. I can't wear the soft ones. Just too much trouble.
Mark F. Leiter

Forum Nav Content I Follow