What's new

*** Official TROY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, I just got back and I REALLY dug this movie.

For a flick so freakin' long, it really breezes by at a satisfyingly brisk clip.

Some amazing action, great work from Bana, Gleeson and a few others...

Good stuff. Gets the Weinberg seal of stunned approval.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Chuck. No nudity from Sean Bean.

;)

But honestly: he's one of the best things in the movie. His Odysseus isn't that huge a character, but Bean does a great job with it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
If Sean Bean actually got naked, this movie would make $500 million dollars, and most of it from my wife :)

Thanks for the response.

I look forward to checking it out,
Chuck

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I've seen plenty of movies that received mixed reviews and ended up enjoying myself tremendously. Troy is still on my must-see list.

FredK

Second Unit
Good to get some perspective on this one. I love the Illiad in general and think the material, properly trimmed, is outstanding.

While I'm glad for the supporting cast, what about the dynamic between Achilles & Hector? They may not appear alot together, but it's pretty important when they do!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Fred,

There's one extended 'moment' between Hector and Achilles that's pretty damn excellent.

And there's one small moment between Achilles and Priam that's just great.

The more I think about the movie, the more I like it. That's a nice feeling.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
My husband and I saw Troy at a sneak preview last night and liked it. I even downgraded my score for Van Helsing becuase, though I had a really good time at VH, Troy is the better movie, after all. I couldn't give them the same grade.

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we missed the first 20 minutes and will (pay to) see it again this weekend.

Question about the beginning. Scott? It's not an important question because as I said, we'll see it again, but I'm just curious.

We came in when Paris was asking Helen to come with him. In the previews, there's a shot of Brad Pitt killing a man and yelling "IS THERE NO ONE ELSE??" Is that at the beginning, or was it cut out of the movie?

All I can say now is that 1) it made me want to read the book :D and 2) Sean Bean rules. They just HAVE to make the sequel!

Peter O'Toole might be looking at his first regular Oscar next February.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Just curious. Is that great kickass score from the trailers actually in the movie? If not, it is probably the best trailer music I've heard in quite sometime.

John Doran

Screenwriter
is any of the mythology in the movie (e.g. achilles being the son of the nereid thetis)? or is it a straight naturalistic telling of the story?

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
John, I think some of the gods and Achilles back story are mentioned, but nothing is actually shown. But from what I've heard it's just a few comments, nothing of any real importance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks