Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official TROY Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#1 of 143 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 04:04 AM

I still have hope for this one. This should be a decent movie while providing some good summer action.

Peter Travers liked it:
So what if Troy falls short of its good intentions to pave the road to boffo glory with art? You are not going to resist a Gladiator-size epic with studly guys, led by Brad Pitt buffed to steroidal splendor as Achilles, playing a game of "my dick is bigger than yours" by going to war over a babe. OK, the story is direct from Homer, with attendant reminders of slogging through The Iliad in lit class. But Troy, besides being tremendously entertaining, is the best crib-sheet guide to Homer ever. Director Wolfgang Petersen (The Perfect Storm) rips and roars through the tale, filling the screen with all the action a $200 million budget can buy. In battle scenes, Petersen whips his computers into a frenzy, making 1,000 extras in soldier drag look like 50,000, each with a mean hair up his butt. These Troy boys may wear sissy sandals, but they can stick in a sword and gut an opponent with enough artery-piercing, entrail-twisting brio to earn an R rating.
Troy lacks the focus of Gladiator, not to mention that Oscar winner's scrappy wit. But why kick a gift horse when you're in summer-movie heaven?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 of 143 Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 05:05 AM

From Todd McCarthy:

Quote:
Unlike the Romans, the Greeks have never been particularly well served by Hollywood, and the giant new epic "Troy" doesn't do a whole lot to right the balance. Despite a sensationally attractive cast and an array of well-staged combat scenes presented on a vast scale, Wolfgang Petersen's highly telescoped rendition of the Trojan War lurches ahead in fits and starts for much of its hefty running time, to OK effect...

Despite all the technological advances and know-how brought to bear on this loose adaptation of Homer's "The Iliad," "Troy" boasts almost precisely the same pros and cons as a standard-issue historical spectacle of the '50s: great production values, spectacular battles and some fine actors in grand roles on the one hand; hokey dialogue, insipid romance and dull interstitial downtime between set-pieces on the other.

For now, I'll still be seeing this one.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#3 of 143 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 05:21 AM

OK, I just got back and I REALLY dug this movie.

For a flick so freakin' long, it really breezes by at a satisfyingly brisk clip.

Some amazing action, great work from Bana, Gleeson and a few others...

Good stuff. Gets the Weinberg seal of stunned approval.

#4 of 143 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,962 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 05:31 AM

How about my boy Bean, Weinberg. Screw those pretty boys (except Bana, I like him)...how about BEAN???

Nudity? Posted Image

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 143 Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 05:42 AM

I'm still looking forward to this one.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#6 of 143 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 05:55 AM

Sorry, Chuck. No nudity from Sean Bean.

Posted Image

But honestly: he's one of the best things in the movie. His Odysseus isn't that huge a character, but Bean does a great job with it.

#7 of 143 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,962 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 06:06 AM

If Sean Bean actually got naked, this movie would make $500 million dollars, and most of it from my wife Posted Image

Thanks for the response.

I look forward to checking it out,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#8 of 143 Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,043 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 06:40 AM

I've seen plenty of movies that received mixed reviews and ended up enjoying myself tremendously. Troy is still on my must-see list.
You want to upgrade again?!!

#9 of 143 Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 07:28 AM

Hopefully, Bean can parlay this into an Odyssey movie. Posted Image

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#10 of 143 FredK

FredK

Second Unit

• 466 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 09:20 AM

Good to get some perspective on this one. I love the Illiad in general and think the material, properly trimmed, is outstanding.

While I'm glad for the supporting cast, what about the dynamic between Achilles & Hector? They may not appear alot together, but it's pretty important when they do!

#11 of 143 Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 04:44 PM

Time gave it a rave.
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#12 of 143 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 07:19 PM

Fred,

There's one extended 'moment' between Hector and Achilles that's pretty damn excellent.

And there's one small moment between Achilles and Priam that's just great.

The more I think about the movie, the more I like it. That's a nice feeling.

#13 of 143 Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted May 07 2004 - 06:04 AM

Scott,

That's good to hear.

Is there a link to that Time review?

Stay off...

#14 of 143 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted May 07 2004 - 08:24 AM

Time review here.

This August, Greece, which gave birth to the poetics of war, will try to stage an athletic competition in which no one dies. But for a smart take on why men need to compete and combat, Athens won't be able to top TROY. And for movies, this is the summer game to beat.

#15 of 143 Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted May 07 2004 - 09:08 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the link. Posted Image

Stay off...

#16 of 143 Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 10:43 PM

My husband and I saw Troy at a sneak preview last night and liked it. I even downgraded my score for Van Helsing becuase, though I had a really good time at VH, Troy is the better movie, after all. I couldn't give them the same grade.

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we missed the first 20 minutes and will (pay to) see it again this weekend.

Question about the beginning. Scott? It's not an important question because as I said, we'll see it again, but I'm just curious.

We came in when Paris was asking Helen to come with him. In the previews, there's a shot of Brad Pitt killing a man and yelling "IS THERE NO ONE ELSE??" Is that at the beginning, or was it cut out of the movie?

All I can say now is that 1) it made me want to read the book Posted Image and 2) Sean Bean rules. They just HAVE to make the sequel!

Peter O'Toole might be looking at his first regular Oscar next February.
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page

#17 of 143 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 10:46 AM

Vick,

That scene is in the movie. You missed it is all. And that's all I'm sayin'... Posted Image

#18 of 143 Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 07:15 PM

Just curious. Is that great kickass score from the trailers actually in the movie? If not, it is probably the best trailer music I've heard in quite sometime.
TAlex 700

#19 of 143 john doran

john doran

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted May 12 2004 - 01:00 AM

is any of the mythology in the movie (e.g. achilles being the son of the nereid thetis)? or is it a straight naturalistic telling of the story?
 fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

#20 of 143 David Forbes

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted May 12 2004 - 01:12 AM

John, I think some of the gods and Achilles back story are mentioned, but nothing is actually shown. But from what I've heard it's just a few comments, nothing of any real importance.
David Forbes

Read excerpts from book three in my fantasy series at www.davidforbes.net.