Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone psyched for "Salem's Lot"...?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 of 59 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted May 12 2004 - 08:15 PM

Can't really call it a remake as they're both based on the book and this one is suppossedly more faithful, Barlow speaking and all...
I did a search and found some VERY positive early reviews!
Sounds good!

Posted Image D

#2 of 59 OFFLINE   Berk

Berk

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 12:46 AM

I've been much more optimistic about Stephen King's TV mini-series since The Stand. I'm hoping that Salem's Lot lives up to my expectations!

#3 of 59 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 01:55 AM

When? Where? I hadn't heard anything about this. EDIT: Nevermind, found it.
Have to tape this one, wont be near a tv on those days.

#4 of 59 OFFLINE   Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 06:00 AM

I didn't even know that they were doing it again. The original one really scared me when I was a kid. I'll have to Tivo it. Posted Image

#5 of 59 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 08:17 AM

Looks very promising, especially with Rutger Hauer! If it disappoints, I won't be crushed, after all it's on TV.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#6 of 59 OFFLINE   Herschel

Herschel

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 05:04 PM

I'm looking forward to it. I've been at least a little into all the Stephen King miniseries I've seen: The Stand, The Langoliers (ok, not so great, but better than many of the Stephen King movies), The Shining...

#7 of 59 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 06:18 PM

Hmmm, how can you compete with Geoffrey Lewis as a vampire? "You will sleep with the dead, teacherrrrr."
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#8 of 59 OFFLINE   Joshua_W

Joshua_W

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 07:42 PM

I'm very much looking forward to this. The original Tobe Hooper miniseries didn't really do much for me, and this one will (hopefully) be much more faithful to the excellent novel. Plus, it has a hell of a cast.

#9 of 59 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 04:46 AM

I remember sitting home alone when I was young and watching the first one. The boy scratching at the window freaked me out. I hope the new one is good. I will give it a try.

#10 of 59 OFFLINE   Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 05:04 AM

Yep, that was the part that scared me. I couldn't sleep for quite a few nights because I kept thinking that I was hearing noises coming from my window.Posted Image

#11 of 59 OFFLINE   RobertW

RobertW

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 10:56 AM

is rutger hauer gonna be the vampire? will he have some cheerleader named buffy trying to stake him? Posted Image

#12 of 59 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 05:01 PM

Yep, he's Barlow. And Donald Sutherland is Straker! Double the Buffy fun!!! Posted Image

Rob Lowe as Ben Mears. Other than The West Wing, the only thing I really liked him in was The Stand, so maybe Stephen King is good for him.

Andre Baugher as Matt Burke. Wasn't that the Lew Ayres role in the original...the teacher?

And Samantha Mathis as Susan. Hmmmm, she could give me a hickey anytime. Posted Image
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#13 of 59 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 06:11 AM

According to "Quint" at AICN, the remake is B-A-D!
http://aintitcoolnew...ay.cgi?id=17566
Too bad, but I'll still watch it.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#14 of 59 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 08:39 PM

I don't give too much credence to AICN. I'm a little leery about some of the changes to update the story, but I'll wait until I hear more before deciding to watch it.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#15 of 59 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 12:27 PM

I've read about 4 good reviews so far...
One thing they LOVED was the way the different vamps moved....

I too loved the original, but realize that Barlow was totally different from the book.
And can anything top the floating kids outside the window from the original???? To this day, some of the spookiest imagery I've EVER seen.

Posted Image D

#16 of 59 OFFLINE   Berk

Berk

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 12:22 AM

I have Sunday June 20th and Monday June 21st as the air dates on TNT. Does that sound correct to everyone?

#17 of 59 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted June 20 2004 - 03:56 PM

So did anyone watch the first part tonight? Lord knows you had plenty of chances considering TNT is running it THREE times! I caught it and it's certainly been better than most of the King Made-for-TV crap we've seen in the last decade. It's not exactly *scary* of course (what is these days?) but at least the "scratching at the window" bit was retained. My fav part so far was
when the father of the missing boy wakes up because his wife is making awful noises next to him and we get a glimpse of their dead son sucking away at her wrist. The color of his eyes was pretty creepy in the dark but then they ruined it when daddy had to turn the light on.
However I do hope part 2 picks it up a bit....TV movies *can* be scary if they just try and not worry so damn much about sponsors and the like.

#18 of 59 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted June 20 2004 - 03:56 PM

So did anyone watch the first part tonight? Lord knows you had plenty of chances considering TNT is running it THREE times! I caught it and it's certainly been better than most of the King Made-for-TV crap we've seen in the last decade. It's not exactly *scary* of course (what is these days?) but at least the "scratching at the window" bit was retained. My fav part so far was
when the father of the missing boy wakes up because his wife is making awful noises next to him and we get a glimpse of their dead son sucking away at her wrist. The color of his eyes was pretty creepy in the dark but then they ruined it when daddy had to turn the light on.
However I do hope part 2 picks it up a bit....TV movies *can* be scary if they just try and not worry so damn much about sponsors and the like.

#19 of 59 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:19 PM

wow this really fell apart in the second act, it felt really rushed like they could have used another night in the story arc. C'mon it is a mini series use as much time as you have, I noticed the guy who wrote the flatliners wrote the script, just got sloppy. Maybe on dvd it will be extended or something, they had all the elements in place. Why did it unravel?
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#20 of 59 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:35 PM

Somebody explain to me just what was the reason for this retread (besides greed, that is)?

It's not as spooky or scary as the original. The settings are too brightly lit. (A killer to the mood.) The head vampire, Barlow, is on screen not much, a good thing, too, since he's just, well, not frightening. (At all!) Whether or not the vampire talks in the book, it's a mistake on screen; just Rutger Hauer doing one of his weirdo bits. (But then, too, how do you top Reggie Nalder for bizarreness?)

When unethical real estate dealer, Larry Corbett, finds his daughter's(?) undwear in the former hunchback guy's trailer and yells " Doug Rogers!", all I could think of was "Duck Dodgers" (of the twenty-fourth and a half century!).

[SIGH] Just another unnecessary remake. Why? Why? Why?

"Delenda est . . . . "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users