Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Night of the Comet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted May 12 2004 - 10:59 AM

I Love this movie and would love to see it released on DVD but can never seem to get info as to who owns the rights and what the hold up is.
Can anyone help?

#2 of 27 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 01:49 AM

I'm not sure who owns it either, although when it last aired on DirecTv (luckily, I made a nice DVD-R from it) it had a Paramount logo at the beginning.

Jeff

#3 of 27 Jeff Brickhouse

Jeff Brickhouse

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 06:13 PM

Wierd to see Chikotay (sp?) {the Trek fan in me} in an earlier role. Really dug this flick back in the teen years.

The Bottome Line:

All (pretty much) movies made between 1970 and 1990 should be on Disc! Baby Boomer and Gen-X are the ones buying this stuff. Sell it already!

Father...the Sleeper has Awaken!
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#4 of 27 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 07:35 AM

I am guessing a lot of people dont know about the film if the lack of posts are any indication.

#5 of 27 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 07:52 AM

I remember the movie and would buy the DVD!

#6 of 27 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,323 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 08:13 AM

NotC should be part of a package of films produced via Atlantic, inclusive of Teen Wolf. May be owned by M-G-M.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 27 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 14 2004 - 08:13 AM

If this is the one were 2 girls survive a comet pass over because one of them is making out on a projection booth, than yeah! I'm all for it! I haven't seen this since the late 80's.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#8 of 27 Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 08:36 AM

I've been waiting for a dvd release of this film since the format started. Got a copy of the movie on VHS from HBO.

#9 of 27 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,873 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 14 2004 - 03:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure who owns it either, although when it last aired on DirecTv (luckily, I made a nice DVD-R from it) it had a Paramount logo at the beginning.

Paramount was the video and Pay-TV distributor for Atlantic in the 1980s. MGM probably holds the rights now.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 27 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 06:28 PM

MGM does indeed own the video rights to NIGHT OF THE COMET. Ask them nicely, I think they know there is a following for it.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#11 of 27 SvenS

SvenS

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 10:23 PM

Isn't this film being bootlegged by the low life company PFE (Pacific Family Entertainment)? I thought I remember in the thread about them bootlegging The Final Countdown that thet were going to try bootlegging that film as well.

#12 of 27 Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 11:17 PM

I caught it on DTV too and the picture quality was terrible, hopefully if its done on DVD they remaster it.

#13 of 27 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted May 16 2004 - 04:05 AM

I too remember this film fondly - one of those HBO discoveries. And I too am still clinging to an old VHS taped-off-HBO copy of it, wiating for something better. I'd hoped for this one on LaserDisc, but nothing ever came out, and now we're into DVDs and still nothing. Maybe someday...

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#14 of 27 Matt_H

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 07:30 AM

I'd buy this in a heartbeat after catching it on HBO in the late 90s. Hopefully MGM(or whoever owns it) does this right like they did return of the living dead and Killer Klowns from outer space.This and monster squad are the 80s movies I want most now.

#15 of 27 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 01:34 PM

Quick, get the MGM email address and we'll start a letter writing campagne.

http://www.mgm.com/dvd_faqs.do

There is a link to questions and requests at this address.

#16 of 27 Larry P

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 04:06 PM

I think there would be interest in this from people who enjoyed "Dawn of the Dead". MGM could do a sweet photoshop rip off cover of the DOTD remake poster and be set.

I enjoyed this movie in the 80's because it tied into people's interest in real life space-happenings of the day, sort of. Lifeforce is the other MGM film dealing with Halley's Comet. From these films we learned that comets were pure evil.

And Kelli Maroney is really cute.

#17 of 27 Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 05:59 PM

As more and more of my most-wanted movies get released on DVD, this movie continues to rank higher on my Holy Grail list. As far as I know, the PFE release was cancelled.

#18 of 27 MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 08:07 AM

Holy shiznit! I just inquired about this movie in the Movies forum, but didnt know the title. I can't beleive that there already was a thread about it!

Cast my vote as someone else who would buy this if it were on DVD! Posted Image
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#19 of 27 Don Peskin

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 11:16 PM

The DVD was previously announced for release on 10/28/03 along with The Monster Squad. I think both were from PFE. Neither came out. Still waiting.

#20 of 27 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 01:40 AM

Quote:
Paramount was the video and Pay-TV distributor for Atlantic in the 1980s. MGM probably holds the rights now.

No, this was a recent Paramount/Viacom logo. Paramount apppears to currently have the rights. Paramount did not have video rights in the 80's...the video release was from CBS/FOX. My guess is that Paramount aquired the title through Viacom's purchase of the CBS library. Where did this MGM theory come from?

Jeff