Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ceiling mounting, Panasonic L500, & an angry girlfriend

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 GrahamTAK

GrahamTAK

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted May 12 2004 - 09:03 AM

Hi fellas

I'm considering buying the panasonic PT-AE500U / PT-L500 and mounting it to the ceiling.

I'm looking at a 5 ft high screen starting 3 1/2 ft from the ground to a total height of 8 1/2 ft.

Since the top of the PJ'ed image will be approx 4 inches *above* the center of the lense, I would therefore have to mount this puppy ROUGHLY 8'2" from the ground.

Problem: I have 10 1/2 ft ceilings, and this would mean a 2 ft drop from the ceiling. This will no doubt anger the G.F. - she does not want a 2 ft antenna hanging from the ceiling.

It looks like I can:
1 ) put the screen higher up - but is this now TOO high for a typical seated (4' eye level) person?
2 ) use a shorter mount and tilt it down/ use digital keystone - It sounds like I should avoid this...
3) somehow disguise the 2 ft eyesore?

I'm looking for advice / tips on how to do each of these methods.

Thanks!

Graham

#2 of 10 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted May 12 2004 - 02:42 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#3 of 10 Bob Maged

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 01:59 AM

With the bottom of your screen 3.5 feet off the floor you should consider using the PJ in desktop mode (rightside-up instead of upside-down), sitting on a rack to achieve the needed height off the floor. Whatever you decide, it sounds like the GF is not a keeper.Posted Image

#4 of 10 DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 04:41 AM

I have a very similar situation. My ceiling is 10' and I needed to drop nearly 32". We had a series of intense negotiations to get the go-ahead for this.

The solution was the monkey man mount and some plumbing parts. The plumbing parts were two floor flanges and a 30" length of 1.5" pipe. To reduce the industrial look, I got some of the faux finish paint at home depot (there are a number of kits) and painted the plumbing parts with antique rust. This made it match the ceiling fan. The 1.5" pipe let me run and s-video, component, and dvi cable down through it. The cables are only visible from the back - and you have to be looking for them.

Good luck with the WAF! (Sounds more like a wife than a girlfriend. Girlfriends are still 'marketing' and are generally more flexible.) Posted Image

David

#5 of 10 chris_everett

chris_everett

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 06:32 AM

Ummm... it's 4" above lens center if the PJ is table mounted. (Right side up). With the Projector up side down, it will be top of screen 4" below lens center. You still have to have a pipe, but it only needs to be 1'4" long. (Center of lens at 8'10") Then, as David said, paint the pipe to match the room, an you may be able to put the cables in the pipe, which should be a pretty clean install.
--Chris Everett

#6 of 10 Mark McGill

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 07:12 AM

Get a new girlfriend and put the projector wherever you want. Problem solved, good luck.

#7 of 10 Ian_J

Ian_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 08:15 AM

It always helps to give her a choice, for example:

Ceiling mounting, Panasonic L500, & an angry girlfriend

or

Ceiling mounting, Girlfriend & an angry Panasonic L500

Either way she'll be angry, but she'll be much more comfortable sitting on the couch.

#8 of 10 Glenise

Glenise

Supporting Actor

• 778 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 11:09 AM

From a female point of view, is this being installed at your place or your girlfriend's?
If it's being installed at your place, you can do whatever you want.
I'm assuming you girlfriend must live with you because I don't see how she can make this decision for you.

#9 of 10 Brian Corr

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor

• 544 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 02:48 AM

You should have told her you wanted to mount a 9" CRT, argued about it for a bit, then told her you would compromise and just mount a smallish digital projector on a 2' pole.
If all else fails, remember "match.com is your friend"!

Here's a pic of mine btw.
http://f2.pg.photos.....=projector.jpg

#10 of 10 GrahamTAK

GrahamTAK

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 11:08 AM

I'm installing it at *our* (future) place - so she pretty much is my WAF. Posted Image

As far as bartering vs. a CRT, I'm getting the HT as "my thing" to offset "her thing" - granite countertops... Believe me, hers will cost more. And I still need to get a ring!

Chris - on the 500's manual it shows it the other way.