Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Blake's 7 (Series 1) Cut?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 06:24 AM

I was looking at Amazon UK to see if Series 2 was available for order (it's listed for release on June 28, but you can't currently order it from Amazon UK; you can from Sendit (formerly Blackstar)).

I took a look at the Series 1 listing also, which has been price cut even futher. The first user reveiw claims that each episode has been cut about 10 minutes each. Each episode on disc runs from 50-52 minutes; my VHS copies also run 50-52 minutes each. Is this user review correct? Have all the Blake episodes been shortened? And, if so, why? Is there some controversy about this? I've watched all my tapes and now the first series on dvd and, to tell the truth, if they've been shortened, I didn't notice.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted May 12 2004 - 06:47 AM

I think the reviewer may be confusing the present length of BBC dramas (57-59 minutes) with the old program length (45-52 minutes).
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul Tilburgs

Paul Tilburgs

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 01:04 AM

The scene the reviewer mentions as missing (recapture of Blake and Avon)is not missing at all. However, several problems have been reported with the layer change on the disks and it may be that the this resulted in the reviewers copy skipping over some parts. Anyway, the episodes are all there and are all complete.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 01:42 AM

Amazon is listing (I think) May 17 for Season 1. This is believe is when the repressed discs are available. I thought the faulty discs had been recalled, but it appears not. Blake's 7 is dirt cheap at CDwow right now, but these copies have to be the dodgy ones, unfortunately.

I hope when the new ones show up they are stickered to show that the are a second pressing.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 09:28 AM

Most of my tapes of the series are copies from the original BBC run, and they are generally 50-52 minutes in length. This is when US shows tended to run about 48-49 minutes in length - much longer than their current 42-45 minutes. BBC shows have gotten longer in the interim, eh? Cool. :>
Deb Walsh (debwalsh@aol.com)
http://www.debwalsh.com/press/

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 04:41 AM

thanks for the info about s1, I guess I will wait until the second pressing comes out.
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 04:12 AM

Well, I'm heading to Blighty this afternoon. I aim to try and find a 2nd pressing of this, but if they didn't pull the first bad pressing, and left the them in stores, how on earth am I to tell which is which? If they're trying to foist the old ones off on people, I wonder what the chances are of the new wave being stickered.

We'll see.