Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shot a Deer at Work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 12:18 AM

They wouldn't let me use my Savage .30-06 so I used my Canon 10D instead Posted Image

Here's a doe trying to decide what part of the nice landscaping to eat next.
http://www.pbase.com/image/28857353

She's right next to the main cafeteria which is at the main entrance. This is in the middle of the day and I think it's fair to say that the deer here are very tame. There was also a little buck nearby and when the doe got tired of me and walked away, a little fawn jumped out of a bush and followed her. Those images need a little work and I'll upload them in a few days.
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 12:39 AM

friends don't let friends shoot savage Posted Image

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 01:20 AM

Definetly has to be a Marlin.

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 01:24 AM

oh jesus. We're going downhill fast. I'm bailing out of this one before it gets uglier Posted Image

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 02:28 AM

Hey, it may not be the prettiest or fanciest rifle on the block, but it is accurate.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,866 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 11 2004 - 03:46 AM

Yeah but you can't put a bayonet on the end like you can with one of your Garands.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 04:55 AM

I can put a bayonet on my M1 Garand but not on my Winchester .30-06. Two of my favorite rifles.

Posted Image Venison Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 05:10 AM

Seems like you're enjoying your 10D. Posted Image

Looks like the failure rate on the Canon EOS300D (Digital Rebel) is quite high...shutter failure at 15,000+ pictures, and mirror sticking problems. And my Digital Rebel's flash eject button just broke. Grrrr. Well at least I can still yank the CF card with my fingers. I'm too scared to send the camera in for repairs...with my luck the service center people will use the camera for baseball practice and get their donut-encrusted fingertips all over the mirror and the sensor!
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 08:51 AM

Dennis and Ron,
Well, the Garand certainly wins in that regard! There's something just so classy about the Garand when it's got a bayonet Posted Image

Max,
That's too bad about your digital Rebel. With the rate I'm taking pictures, +15,000 doesn't sound too high. Rather terrible that so many are failing around that point.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 09:51 AM

Quote:
Hey, it may not be the prettiest or fanciest rifle on the block, but it is accurate.

Depends.
At least put good glass on it.

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 10:08 AM

Leave it to Julie and her way with thread titles ... Posted Image

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,866 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 11 2004 - 10:30 AM

Leave it to Jack to panic when he sees a Julie thread.... :P)

Actually around the Santa Cruz mountains here the preferred tool to hunt deer is the Miata. We must have a dozen local Miata pilots run into the darned things.... the forum reports a deer-hit almost monthly.

By the way, where is that Bambi DVD?

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
Leave it to Julie and her way with thread titles ...
Leave it to Jack to panic when he sees a Julie thread...

Posted Image

I've got some better deer pics coming later.

As well as a picture of a cute little baby. (Anyone remember that one? Posted Image )

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,866 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 11 2004 - 10:47 AM

Here's an interesting story:

www.nationalreview.com/swan/swan200310300746.asp

Quote:
Insurance companies report over 500,000 deer-car collisions annually, resulting in about a hundred human deaths. (Let us not forget that more people are hurt and killed by deer than by any other species of North American wild game.) Several studies place the total number of deer hit by cars at four to six times the number reported. The average insurance claim for a deer-car collision is $2,000. Deer damage to agriculture crops and landscaping costs more than $1 billion a year.

So more deer kills on humans than by bears, cougars, etc.

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 10:51 AM

Deer also attack people. Usually it's whitetail bucks in the fall, but the does can do a lot of damage with their hooves as well.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 11:18 AM

Yes, I remember the "baby"!

Did anybody see the PBS Nature episode about mountain lions/cougars two weeks ago? Those buggers are so darn cute. Not cudly, but certainly cute. I love wild cats. Well, all cats.

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,866 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 11 2004 - 12:17 PM

Hey Jack, at least she didn't try to palm that photo off as being from the Mars rover.....

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 03:33 PM

I've hit two deer. One head-on at about 50 MPH (it came out of the ditch so fast I barely got my foot to the brake) and the other with my 77 Corvette. People claimed that the front end of a 'vette would act like a wedge if it hit a deer and it's true! Had not my headlights been up I would have sustained no damage. I felt really bad about the deer because it didn't die right away, but suffered until the Sherriff arrived to dispatch it.

One of my aunts worked the night shift at a factory about 50 miles from her home. Over many years of commuting, most at night, she's hit 17 deer. Made the local papers once.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 04:09 PM

I wonder what the law is on that. If I hit a deer I wonder if I can shoot it Posted Image

The previous owner of my miata hit a cow, same deal, acted like a wedge. The barn door headlight got ripped back and hosed the hood, otherwise it's pretty OK

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 05:55 PM

Dang, before I even read the thread I was wondering what job allows a person to hunt that isn't a tv show.

About shooting a deer, a real man don't use guns or bows, just grab a club and give it a baby seal blows. Posted Image

PS: just kidding.

Forum Nav Content I Follow