What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Club Dread" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review. I agree for the most part.
I had a heckuvalota fun watching in the theater but probably won't buy until it hits BB's 2fer deals, which i think will happen rather quickly....

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
This movie was such an upset! I wasexpecting the same brilliant humor, writing and timing of Super Troopers and instead I got this crap. It was way too long, and very unfunny! Rent Super Troopers. Let this piece of crap remain a flop. :frowning:

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Club Dread was almost as great as Super Troopers.

I knew from the start that this was going to be an entire different animal than Super Troopers and I enjoyed every minute of it. Instead of a total goofball comedy like their past film, Broken Lizard makes a damn fine horror comedy, even if the third act wasn't as good as the first two.

The entire "Pac Man" scene was pure genius and worth the price of admission alone.

Next to Elena Lyons naked of course.

Will K

Screenwriter
I thought it was very enjoyable. It wasn't the most laugh-out-loud movie I've ever seen, but I thought it was silly and amusing enough. Bill Paxton did a nice job. I can see why some might see it as a dud, but I guess Broken Lizard is somewhat of an acquired taste.

I wonder why the trailer seems to be MIA on the disc. Kind of strange for Fox.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely adore this film, and it has become my second favorite comedy of all time. Despite the very lackluster Super Troopers, I was looking forward to this film because not only was it a horror spoof, but it also had Bill Paxton and one of the top 3 most gorgeous and charming women I've ever laid eyes on, the magnificent Jordan Ladd. I saw it, and along with the great elements I already mentioned, I was blown away by how truly hilarious the film was. I was virtually crying I was laughing so hard at parts, and the humor is far from the only great thing about the movie. It has great classic slasher elements, all the actors are fantastic, and do wonderful jobs, and there are some truly great ideas like the aforementioned Pac-Man scene. An outstanding film, and there is no chance in hell I'd pass up the DVD!

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
Well this movie will serve on purpose. I can now show it to friends who need a lesson in what edge enhancement looks like. :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

I completely agree. I'd kill to see those deleted scenes, and gag reels are always fun. No trailer is a shame too. I really wish Fox would have included more stuff on here, and I really don't see why they didn't. If there was another release down the line, I would definitely pick it up.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
From clubdread.com:

Given the context I think he's referring to the theatrical distribution of the film, not the DVD release. "Club Dread" didn't come to my city so I didn't get to see it theatrically.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
This movie sucked. Plain and simple. I absolutely loved Super Troopers and had high expectations for this film. After watching it in theatres, I wanted my life back let alone my money.

PASS :thumbsdown:

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I'm still on the fence whether to bother to watch this. As a huge fan of Office Space, someone recommended SuperTroopers to me. After about 45 minutes of death like quiet, I could watch no more. If only the movie was half as funny as the director's thought it was.

I can't see subjecting myself to another one of their films. I guess I just don't get their humor.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
This was simply one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I actually felt like I was watching a slasher film from the late 70's/early 80's; but this one is on crack! The great thing about many of those films was that they were fun and at the same time amazingly violent and scary. I really miss that type of entertainment.

It's easy to see why it flopped, because they marketed it as a completley comedic Scary Movie-type film when it wasn't. It was a more of a comedic satire, I'd say. However, I guess some people don't like the idea of combining serious horror with serious laughs (see any discussion about Robocop 2). Plus, the studio was dumb enough to open it up against the other great horror movie of the winter, The Passion of the Christ.

This movie definitely delivered where other recent "retro" horror wannabes (Freddy Vs Jason, Cabin Fever) came up short.

It would have been nice for them to have done something with the "Coconut Pete" songs that Bill Paxton's character sings, since they were so creative and since they are not available on the soundtrack. This film also screamed for some type of "making of" featurette, since everyone appeared to be having such a good time in the movie.

The cover is certainly better than the theatrical release poster, since it more accurately advertises the film as a quasi-serious horror film. One can't be too critical of this disc though, since the film only did pull in five million at the B.O.

I would disagree with this being a film only for fans of Super Troopers, since that was a movie that I really have no interest in, yet I really loved Club Dread.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
I thought it was very funny, and was really surprised that the film didn't at least match Super Troopers' box-office performance. As for the DVD, I'll wait until the inevitable two-pack with Super Troopers.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have any info on the DVD release of "Puddle Cruiser" that's more specific than "This Summer"? It was supposed to coincide with "Club Dread" but that's obviously not happening.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Bill: The simultaneous release of Puddle Cruiser with this DVD is even mentioned in one of the commentary tracks. The last on Broken Lizard's official site was posted two months ago: "To all the Puddle Cruiser seekers: The Vid/DVD should hit the shelves this June/July." As far as I can tell, it was never officially announced or solicited to retailers, so I guess this can't technically be considered a delay.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
In the first commentary one of the guys says during one scene "I hate that scene." and the director says something like "You won't see it in the extended version - I've cut it out." and on the second commentary, when talking about scenes that had to be cut for time, they refer to what they're watching several times as the "theatrical cut".

So I guess there is going to be an extended edition.

Will K

Screenwriter

I noticed when I had the disc in my PC, the volume label shows as CLUBDREAD169_RATED. Perhaps that suggests there is another version waiting in the wings?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
The eye candy alone makes this movie fun to watch!:D

I found this movie to be prettt funny for the most part. As mentioned a couple of times, the Pac-Man game was very creative.

As for Super Troopers, I really didn't think it was all that funny, but the opening scene is definitely a classic in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks