What's new

New GR sub (1 Viewer)

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Price isn't too bad. Wonder how the performance is compared to the similarly priced tempest?

Not as much displacement I would bet, but maybe improved sound quality? Perhaps also since it is PR instead of ported like a tempest probably would be.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Looks like a limited xmax and power handling for an otherwise well designed and built sub. That's accounted for in his design goals and evidently the recommend multiple subs high SPLs. 20.7hz F3 in a 2.6 ft^3 box is pretty interesting though. I bottomed out my shiva a few times in an EBS alignment in a 18' x 28' room at very high SPL, so I'm guessing a single one of these sub would only cut it in small to medium rooms. Would probably be great for music use, but for HT at higher SPL in large rooms one of these just isn't gonna do it.

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator
"Looks like a limited xmax and power handling for an otherwise well designed and built sub. That's accounted for in his design goals and evidently the recommend multiple subs high SPLs. 20.7hz F3 in a 2.6 ft^3 box is pretty interesting though. I bottomed out my shiva a few times in an EBS alignment in a 18' x 28' room at very high SPL, so I'm guessing a single one of these sub would only cut it in small to medium rooms. Would probably be great for music use, but for HT at higher SPL in large rooms one of these just isn't gonna do it."

Actually it seems to have the same xmax as a Shiva, well .6 mm less, but it should be similar in output to one Shiva. But I guess if we compare on price, we should be looking at the Tempest.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the Shiva was 18mm but you're right it is only 16.6mm. In that case it looks like $150 for the driver and PR is actually a pretty good deal, especially considering the extension you can get in such a small enclosure and a relatively cheap way to build a PR based sub.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Danny has always offered great products at even better prices. I assume that these will be no different.

Mike, I'm a bit confused here. What makes you think a 12" driver with similar Xmax to a Shiva will be able to give the Tempest a run for it's money? If anything, it'll be very similar to a Shiva.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks