Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Prince Valiant (Robert Wagner)?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,552 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 03:38 AM

This little title surprised me! It snuck up and is coming out tomorrow, Tuesday. Surprised that there isn't any comment here that I can see about it.

This 1950's film with a young Robert Wagner and James Mason and Janet Leigh I've only seen once or twice on TV Saturday afternoons 20 years ago. It struck me then as a youth to be a fun movie.

It's rich colors and comic bookish look and fun sense reminds me of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood and seems like a nice moive to acompany it.

Any comments? Is my memory of this movie faulty?

Nelson

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 04:00 AM

I have never seen this movie all the way through, but I think your memory is pretty accurate. I want to purchase this release, but only if the audio is 4.0. Amazon say it is 2.0, but they said that about "Anne Frank" which thankfully turned out to be wrong. Has anybody got this release yet and can confirm that it is 4.0?
Steve Pickard

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 07:28 AM

ONe site, dvd journal. did a review today, but didn't mention what kind of sound it has!!! Would like to know myself.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 10:41 AM

This used to be TV Sunday afternoon staple, many years ago, but I haven't seen it for quite a long time now, and never widescreen. Dumb, but I loved it.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 03:13 PM

I just bought PRINCE VALIANT and it looks great but it is only 2.0 stereo :-(
Ken

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 01:54 AM

My review is up at digitallyOBSESSED!:

http://www.digitally....w.php3?ID=5922

The sound's not bad, but the picture has some serious problems, unless you don't mind severe and constant telecine wobble from side to side. It gave me a headache and nearly made me seasick.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 11 2004 - 02:02 AM

I thought it was a bit dark in the opening reel, but after that I didn't think it was too bad. But Sterling Hayden's Noo Joisey born Sir Gawain gave me a headache Posted Image

---
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 02:14 AM

Remember, this film was early Cinemascope and was rushed into theaters to beat the other two Medieval filmas also in production from other studios - Knights of the Round Table (mgm) and King Richard and the Crusaders (Warner Brothers). Warners has a letterbox master of this that ehy have never shown on cable or released on video.
These films have one thing in common - great film scores by Franz Waxman,Miklos Rozsa, and Max Steiner. the sets for valoiant were rfeused by Fox in
Snow White and the Three stooges, along with Sonja Henies old skating rink!!

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,668 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 03:01 AM

Joe, you forget BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH, Universal-International's first feature in CinemaScope.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 11 2004 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
These films have one thing in common - great film scores by Franz Waxman

Waxman's terrific score - particularly during the 'singing sword' fight - is one of the best things about Prince Valiant.

---
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,552 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 03:35 AM

Cool, I'll have to grab a copy!

I like Wagner, I'm not a huge fan, but it's interesting to see his early work. Which reminds me to try to find a copy of his 1956 film that goes against type, A Kiss Before Dying.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 04:26 AM

Fox may have rushed to get Prince Valiant into the theatres first but they didn't succeed. Knights Of The Round Table came out in 1953 with Prince Valiant and King Richard And The Crusaders coming out in 1954.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 06:51 AM

I believe the DVD Savant has a good review of this one.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted May 12 2004 - 02:45 AM

Shoot, I forgot to mention Waxman's score in my review. I'll have to remedy that. Yes, it's an incredible piece of work and much better than the movie it's attached to.