Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Good Photoshop Books?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted May 09 2004 - 05:46 AM

I'm having more fun with my new digital camera than should be allowed Posted Image

I'm starting to play around more with Photoshop. Does anyone have any good recommendations for books? I'm especially interested in tips for unusual effects.

I did manage to do this today.

(Yeah, the world really needs another colorized phony B&W picture of a stupid flower. It's going to get one, anyway.)
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#2 of 11 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,519 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 10 2004 - 03:48 AM

If you go to a borders or other outlet that carries international magazines, the latest Digital Camera World comes with a nice free booklet that covers the major features of photoshop. Its a UK mag.

Sam

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#3 of 11 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,519 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 10 2004 - 03:52 AM

http://www.mccannas....op/photosh0.htm

http://www.planetpho.../tutorials.html

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#4 of 11 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,251 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 10 2004 - 04:53 AM

Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Studio Techniques by Ben Willmore is decent. It has a good share of proofing errors, which is annoying, but at least he has them documented on his site. Despite its flaws the book is helpful in explaining the nuts and bolts behind the functions in the program, for example what radius and threshhold actually control. Many tutorials I've come across just don't explain that and give some generalized starting point for settings with no explanation why. It's also the book that turned me onto using Curves, which up until then I just didn't understand.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#5 of 11 JasonDNJ

JasonDNJ

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 09:36 AM

I recommend good-tutorials .com . It's updated hourly and there's also a search engine to look up whichever specific effects you'd like to learn.
"In my mind's eye,...one little boy one little man,... funny how...time flies."

#6 of 11 Chris Moe

Chris Moe

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 04:47 AM

How well do you know Photoshop? I find the Adobe Classroom In A Book series to be very good at getting an initial grasp on Photoshop. Knowing all the basics is much more important and powerful than just playing around with filters to make unusual effects.

#7 of 11 Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 08:08 AM

I don't know it well but want to ramp up pretty quickly to the unusual stuff Posted Image

Thanks for all the suggestions.
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#8 of 11 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted May 13 2004 - 09:27 AM

I have Real World Photoshop. A very good book, because it focuses on theory and techniques for fixing up less-than-perfect digital photos (sharpening, resizing, layer masks, etc.). Also covers important topics such as color profiling and printing - particularly on print accuracy.

It's not the typical step-by-step book, as it also explains why a technique is used...
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#9 of 11 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 09:40 AM

I've heard raves over this book:

Photoshop Restoration & Retouching, Second Edition, by Katrin Eismann.

I think I will get this book next...fixing color casts and smoothing over skin blemishes are tough. Posted Image
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#10 of 11 John K Carter

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 02:25 PM

You did not say which version of Photoshop but if it's CS try:
The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby

Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks by Scott Kelby

Scott Kelby is the Editor-in-Chief of
Photoshop User Magazine The official publication of The National Association of Photoshop Professionals.

The guy is a wiz. His books are step by step & easy to follow. Check out the magazine as well.

#11 of 11 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 02:44 PM

I teach digital imaging, and use the Adobe Classroom in a Book as a text. It is an excellent book for beginning / intermediate Photoshop.

While many of the "tips and tricks" type books are interesting and show you some neat stuff, a "bottom up" tutorial book like the Classroom series gives you the knowledge you need to be proficient with Photoshop. I recommend using the "Classroom" book, along with a Google search for Photoshop tricks - mix up the nuts and bolts with the fun stuff to keep you interested.

-Scott