What's new

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

In all seriousness, an excellent episode. Hugh's simple "well" in response to Carm's dismay about her connection with Tony tells the tale. In a way she's just as responsible for Tony's behavior as he is -- she stood by all those years and let it continue.

And her lover wasn't too far off the mark. Her intentions in this case might have been genuine, but remember that Carmela is not above extortion (just ask Jean Cusamano's sister).

That aside, the whole time I was thinking Good for you, Carm! She put up with Tony's BS for all those years, so it was time that she enjoyed herself for once. (Even though I was shocked that she actually went through with it... she's been able to suppress the urges in the past.)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
how about chase to tease us for,what 5-6 eps before giving us the steve buscemi everyone was waiting for.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
An excellent season just keeps on getting better.

Favorite line:

Carmella (to Father Phil): At first I thought he was gay. He reminded me of you.

Let's not forget that it was Father Phil who "slipped the wafer" to Carmella in S1. His facial expressions tonight were telling.

Hugh's "well" pretty much summed it up. As much as you feel for all the abuse Carmella endured over the years, it's hard to forget that she probably knew what she was getting into when she married the guy and she certainly hasn't shied away from enjoying the "perks" of the lifestyle.

Do I think Carmella was "using" the advisor? Yes, but not necessarily in the way he accused her. He shoulders a large amount of blame though for becoming involved with her in the first place. Very unprofessional.

Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i dont remember it going that far. if you mean that literally.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Excellent episode. I think it's pretty well assured Tony B didn't just "stumble" onto that money..

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tony B's use of the money was so over-the-top. Had to love the "Walking Tall" action at the end.

Too bad we won't be seeing more of Amanda Kim with this new development. Tony S and Christopher's blatant stereotypical ethnic slurrage were totally offensive and in character. Will I feel sad or glad if/when they eventually get theirs? I dunno.

AJ...what a waste of air.

The Carmela storyline didn't really interest me all that much, except the end where she warned the guy to not mess with her anymore (and she had to creds to back up her warning). If I were the Stratham character, I'd be sleeping with a gun next to me like Carmela now does.

Colin-H

Second Unit
Yeah, the dean played that one pretty poorly. He was using her as a mother, not as a mobster's wife, and he failed to see the difference.

Can't wait to see Tony B in action.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
A slower episode, but I enjoyed it.

I sure do not. I and my friends who have followed the Sopranos feel that Carmela deserves all she is getting and then some. She knew what she was getting into and she allowed it for over 15 years. I have no sympathy for her character at all and I really dislike her that she stays in that huge house by herself and complains to Tony about things.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Very slow episode with a few spurts. Not one of the better ones of the season, IMHO. But a few interesting twists and turns that they can build on.

My opinion is probably based on less "wise guy" commentary, et. al. than usual. (A couple of good lines like the reference to the dog shop next door to the massage studio, "In case someone gets hungry.")

As they might say on American Idol, "A 'safe' performance this week."

Your mileage may vary.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One other comment:

The "It's not TV, it's H2O" bit at the beginnning was damn funny. Caught me off guard.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I think this was by far the worst episode of the season. It reminded me of the hell that was season 4(very slow, nothing really happened). I don't think we really need a full episode devoted to Carmella's mid-life crisis and AJ's school problems. Where was Tony in this episode? He was like a guest star tonight, hardly in the show. Even the Buscemi storyline was a little on the dull side(although I am glad that we won't have to hear about laundry service and massage therapy for the rest of the season). I think the main reason this episode was slow is because it was directed by Peter Bogdonavich(the annoying bastard that plays Melfi's shrink). Not only does he suck as an actor, but he's equally bad as a director. I give this episode a big :thumbsdown:

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
Good episode. But how does Tony B's beating the crap out of that Asian dude affect his parole? I'm guessing that since he's connected (uses Tony to keep the unions off his back) that he'll know to keep his mouth shut.

I have zero sympathy for Carmella. She wears all that gaudy jewelery, drives a Benz, lives in that big house. All the while she looks down on Tony for his 'less than legal' activities but has no problems reaping the benefits. On top of that she expects to blend into polite society, as though she isn't a mob bosses wife. She acts like she deserves and has earned her place of privilege and gets pissed when someone stereotypes her as the typical gangster's wife. But she has no problems using Tony's 'less than reputable' reputation when it suits her. "You'd better watch your back!" :rolleyes

She's the biggest slimeball on the show in alot of ways. At least with guys like Pauly and Chrissy what you see is what you get.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

*laugh* as someone who finds Season4 to be probably the best of the bunch so far (and, assuming by my thoughts elsewhere I may be in the minority ;) This note caught me thinking about an ep from S4..

In the Columbus ep, the minister invited a speaker to the church who made a crack about "wise guys" and so on, Carm was incredibly offended and said "what are you going to do" when her friends went back and gave the minister a piece of their mind.

Yeah, Carm wants it both ways. She has to remind everyone what she does for them (like the church) but don't bring up how she got it to give it to them in the first place!

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Anyone else get the impression that after Carm read the book in the bathroom after.....umm....sex with the dean......and after the dean explained the story to her....that it may have foreshadowed that we may see in the near future Carm discover she is pregnant with this guy's baby. Now, that would create an interesting story arc, n'est pas?

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
Brian - That thought popped into my mind too. Seems a bit far fetched though. Nontheless, that would be interesting!

Jeff

Supporting Actor

This has been the case for the entire series. The writers just don't know what to do with him. When he moved in with Tony, I thought for sure something was finally going to happen and maybe slowly get in to Tony's world but NOPE, he's back with Carmella again after two episodes.

Jeff

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great episode!:emoji_thumbsup:

I'm a bit shocked at the hostility leveled towards Carmela in some of these posts. Imo, she's one of the best characters on the show, thanks in no part to Edie Falco's superb acting.

I feel her character is one of the best developed on the show with inner turmoils, demons, confusion, guilt etc.

And I'm with you Chris on Season 4. I've said many times it was as great as any great Sopranos season. And there are many other fans of S4 here too. About the same as S4 "haters".

The inevitable TonyB explosion was a bit of a letdown. It almost would have been more original to leave him legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks