What's new

What am I missing? (1 Viewer)

Jarod_L

Grip
I am trying to demo as many speakers as possible, so far these are the brands I have covered.

NHT T6's
Snell E5, XA60, XA75
Paradigm Monitor and Reference
Vandersteen
Revel
Alon Capri
BW 600 and 700
Vienna Acoustics

So far the Snell XA60 have been the most appealing, what brands am I missing that are similiar to these fronts?

Jarod_L

Grip
thanks, i should have put a cap on the price. althought Id love martin logans, I dont need to spend 8k on fronts alone. Id like to keep the 5.1 speakers only around 5k for the two fronts, center, rears and sub. any others in this range im leaving out? thanks

Jarod_L

Grip
I went and listened to the Sonus Faber and was blown away, IMO sounded better then the ML and Vienna Acoustics. Any other major brands Im missing out?

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Jarod,

You mentioned sub as well, so you might want to consider some of the online makers like Hsu and SVS (my personal favorite). Odds are you'll be able to get a heck of a lot more sub than the retail brands for less money.

-Robb

Jarod_L

Grip
Listened to a few more today, Martin Logans, Joseph Audio, Definitive Technology, the 4k Alons, and Legacy. So far the Sonus Faber are leading, with Josephs a close second. Anything else I am missing out. I am looking for fronts that go for about 3500-4000 MSRP thanks.

Also, Im trying to go listen to the KEF's,Aerials, Mission and Dyn Audio.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Mitch

I find it odd that in his first response to his price range he says

>>>> I'd like to keep the 5.1 speakers only around 5k for the fronts, center, rears, and sub I'm looking for fronts that go about 3,500 to 4,000 MSRP

Jarod_L

Grip
I ended up changing my mind and am going for a little bit higher end speaker now. Basically I am looking for fronts that cost around 3-3.5 and then I will buy the matching center, and surrounds. As for shopping by price, how is that odd? I am sure there are speakers that sound better but theyre probably 6k+ and I dont see the point of listening to some 500 dollar fronts or even 1000 dollar ones because none that i have heard so far come close to any of the speakers I mentioned.

Jarod_L

Grip
No problem, right now I am leaning toward the Sonus Faber Grand Piano's. However, I still have to demo KEF, Mission, DynAudio and Von Schwiekert. After having listened to so many speakers over the last week, I have come to realize that sound is VERY subjective, and asking anyone for a reccomendation on speakers is almost pointless since everyone's ears are different.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

This is very, very true. When I first signed up for this forum and started a similar thread as this, I was pointed to the same conclusion. I listened to many different brands and I decided upon Martin Logans. I really liked their sound. But, there were other brands I liked just as much, kind of like thinking a gorgeous blonde is as beautiful as a gorgeous brunette. But, someone else may not like the same blonde or brunette. Anyhow, my final decision came down to the salesman's manner, the deal I received, and also how I thought the speakers would fit in my room.

Jarod, have fun choosing your speakers of choice and I hope you are satisfied for many years to come. (Fight the upgraditis bug as best as possible!:D)

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
If you like the Sonus Fabers you really should check out the ACI line of speakers. I was a happy Concerto owner but found the ACI Sapphire III LE to be a very significant upgrade in a number of ways. Every ACI speaker I've heard has been wonderfully musical. Their lineup is such that could could build a really fine system well within the price range you're looking at.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jarod

Please be aware that speakers demoed in a store are going to sound much different in your home. Basically it boils down to this. Showrooms are often large and have thick carpeting, other speakers, and other things that absorb high frequencies.

Unless you have a realy sumptuous listening room any speaker you choose will sound brighter in your room than at a store.

The moral of the story: Speakers that sound bright in a store are probably going to sound even brighter at home. A mellow sounding speaker in the store may be just right for the home evnironment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks