Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official VAN HELSING Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
255 replies to this topic

#1 of 256 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 12:45 AM

Man,early reviewers are tearing this movie to shredsPosted Image

#2 of 256 OFFLINE   RodneyT

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 12:11 PM

and i bet most of those reviewers are the same ones that think Deep Rising is a bad film.
I once stood out from the crowd. Now, I am trying desperately to get back in.

#3 of 256 OFFLINE   Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 12:23 PM

I hope this film at least leads people to the original monster movies that inspired this...

#4 of 256 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,257 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 29 2004 - 02:32 AM

Can anyone explain the Van Helsing / NBA dual promos running on TNT (I think)? Van Helsing looked like it could be fun initially, but the strange blended NBA promos took suggested the movie was desperate for attention.

#5 of 256 OFFLINE   RobertW

RobertW

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 04:24 AM

as others have said, i get a huge LXG vibe coming off this film. it's a big CGI summer action flick, and i think it would have worked far better as a dark, brooding supernatural thriller. maybe a bit more like From Hell than like LXG.

not that i think From Hell was an excellent movie, cause it wasn't, but the atmosphere it tried to portray, if done a bit more effectively, would really make Van Helsing a great, scary flick. right now it's looking more like LXG.

#6 of 256 OFFLINE   EdHoch

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts
  • LocationLincoln, CA

Posted May 02 2004 - 02:47 PM

Read an article in the local paper this weekend about how much Universal, and NBC/GE have riding on this movie. Given early reviews it looks like they are setting themselves up for a big fall...

Now admitedly, many of the reviews I've read have come from aintitcool. However, you would think that those fanboys would give a genre film like this every benefit of the doubt...they fact that they seem to hate it does not bode well...

Too bad, on paper it sounded good, casting good...story bad I guess.

Although I really shouldn't be surprised. I liked the Mummy for what it was, thought Mummy returns was a waste of time...looks like the downward slide continues...
Nancy Burton: "Why is our couch up on blocks?"

Mike Burton: "Stadium Seating Honey..."

#7 of 256 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 02:55 PM

It ususally does not bode well when there are no major reviews out five days before the release.

#8 of 256 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 05:16 PM

A partial review from Todd McCarthy of Variety:

Quote:
A monster mash on steroids, "Van Helsing" takes Universal's hallowed horror cycle to a new level. Whether that level is the pinnacle or the nadir will be a matter of distinctly divided opinion, depending very much on viewer age, respect for genre tradition and appetite for being pummeled by nonstop CGI effects and a thunderous soundtrack. Fans of Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney Jr. will be appalled, but the audience that counts at the B.O., Stephen Sommers' "Mummy" hordes, will no doubt eat it up, indicating monstrous early returns for the first of the season's hugely pricey putative blockbusters.

Sorry, I can't post the rest of it. But it was mostly not favorable.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#9 of 256 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 06:10 PM

When I first heard about this project and that it starred Hugh Jackman I thought it could be something good. Then once I started seeing the trailers and I realized Sommers directed it my expectations began to drop. The more trailers and scenes I see from the movie just make it look like utter crap or a movie I'd categorize as DVD/cable ready. I don't mind being proven wrong whenever I do see it!

#10 of 256 OFFLINE   Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 09:57 PM

I went to see KB2 again and noticed there was an unadvertised screening of Van Helsing straight after. I can't pass up seeing films early so I decided to stick around.

No wonder there haven't been many advance screenings, once word gets out expect a rapid decline. This is on the same level as Sommers' awful last film The Mummy Returns, an overblown CGI fest that becomes more annoying the longer it goes on. Sommers really needs to learn that story and characters come before spectacle.

From the paragraph Edwin posted:

Quote:
Fans of Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney Jr. will be appalled

Yep, thats me.
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#11 of 256 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,672 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 03 2004 - 02:34 AM

This is on the same level as Sommers' awful last film The Mummy Returns

That grossed over $200M. If "Van Helsing" grosses are in the same ballpark, I think the studio will be happy.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#12 of 256 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,638 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 03 2004 - 02:39 AM

I didn't care for The Mummy and didn't even bother seeing the Mummy Returns. When I saw Sommers as Van Helsing's director my expectations dropped. I'll probably see it and likely enjoy it because of low expectations.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#13 of 256 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 03:55 AM

I liked The Mummy, but can't stand much anything else from Sommers. Like many others, I was initially excited about Van helsing, but now it looks pretty bland and boring. Of course, I'll still be seeing it on Friday night. It's a good after dinner with a bunch of friends movie, and my expectations have been sufficiently lowered.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#14 of 256 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 04:18 AM

I really like The Mummy - a movie I thought on first viewing was "OK" but has grown on me. For popcorn fare, it's pretty darn good.

"The Mummy Returns" has some fun parts, but overall is clunky and just doesn't gel. I have the DVD, but use the scene index to simply watch the parts I like.

"Van Helsing," from the trailers and advanced screenings, looks to unfortunately be a repeat of "Returns" - some cool setpieces and fun atmosphere dragged down by horrid dialogue, cliched plot and character, and a reliance on effects.

I'm also concerned because of the score. Goldsmith's score for "The Mummy" was fantastic; Silvestri, who also has scored VH, did "Returns" and I still wonder if he saw the same movie I did. He has tons of over-the-top "heroic" flourishes that manage to deflate many scenes of what little tension or suspense they had.

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#15 of 256 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 08:51 AM

I'm also concerned because of the score. Goldsmith's score for "The Mummy" was fantastic; Silvestri, who also has scored VH, did "Returns" and I still wonder if he saw the same movie I did. He has tons of over-the-top "heroic" flourishes that manage to deflate many scenes of what little tension or suspense they had.

I thought Goldsmith did a great job on the Mummy. That said, I was equally impressed with Silvestri's work on Mummy Returns and its my favorite work of his in recent years.

#16 of 256 OFFLINE   Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 01:19 PM

I happen to be going to a free (a good price if it's bad) sneek preview tomorrow night. I'll jump on and let you guys know how things stand from a non-critic standpoint.

#17 of 256 OFFLINE   Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 07:22 PM

Well, I'm sad to say but belive the critics: IT SUCKS. Now there are some good things but nothing could save it.

Posted Image Posted Image /Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 of 256 OFFLINE   Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 03:49 AM

I'm torn on this one. I liked "The Mummy" quite a bit, but "The Mummy Returns" was really bad. I probably would have walked out of the theater if the Xena quality FX of the The Scorpion King hadn't pinned me to my chair with laughter. Sad that the FX on "Van Helsing" seem to be of about the same quality. Though I am glad to see that they got Shrek to do a cameo as the Hyde Monster, what with his busy schedule and all.

That being said, I like the idea behind this movie, like Jackman and Beckinsdale, and love all the monsters, so it would seem for me to hate it, they would actually have to 'work' at making it bad.

Update:
Uh oh Spaghetti-O, Harry loves it!

http://www.aint-it-c...ay.cgi?id=17487

I seem to remember him hating "The Mummy" and loving "The Mummy Returns".

#19 of 256 OFFLINE   Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 06:47 PM

That being said, I like the idea behind this movie, like Jackman and Beckinsdale, and love all the monsters, so it would seem for me to hate it, they would actually have to 'work' at making it bad.

That's what I thought...until I saw it. Yeah, I think that subconsciously they did want to make it bad. The acting (apart from Jackman) sucked hard. The "brides of Dracula" were chosen for their knockers, not their acting skills. And it's not so bad that Frankenstein's monster talks, but why does it sound like he's trying to sing Opera when he screams? Peter Boyle was menacing in Young Frankenstein. The CGI has it's ups and downs but the whole thing just seems off. Too bad. It was a good premise but for me it fell far short of expectations. What a way to blow 125 million dollars.

#20 of 256 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 10:57 PM

Ugh ugh ugh...

That's all I'm sayin' for right now.

Except for this: I didn't like it. A lot.

Forum Nav Content I Follow