What's new

Has anyone else experienced bad discs with The Best of Abbott and Costello Volume 2? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
When The Best of Abbott and Costello Volume 1 came out, I remember reading alot of complaints people posted about the discs being bad, and experiencing skipping and freezes. Fortunately my discs played fine. However, I just got Volume 2 and sure enough about 53 minutes into The Time of Their Lives the disc freezes. I popped out the disc and discovered some minor scratches and what appears to be tiny little dots (bad media?). I was wondering just how bad this problem is, and is Universal aware of it? It seems to me that the chances of this problem occurring is greater on double-sided, double layered discs (such as this set), as opposed to a single sided disc. Has anyone else found similar problems with their discs? I plan to ship mine back to Amazon.com for replacements ASAP.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'll be checking mine out today, Carlos. One question, would this defect show up if I were fast-forwarding the disk? I'd like to check out all 8 films quickly, but I know that sometimes you can't pick up on the problems using fast-forward and must watch the film at regular speed to catch these glitches.

Gary "I love the price on these, but hate them being double-sided" O.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Hi Gary. Yes, the problem certainly shows up when fast forwarding. You'll see a sudden pause when it gets to the point where there's a glitch. Then just rewind back a little and play the scene. I experienced freezing, pixelation and lockups. Then when I took out the disc, I saw it had some scratches and also a few tiny dots (which indicates missing information on the media). I wish they hadn't released these on double-sided double-layered media. I'm sure these defects occur at the pressing plant, but the scratches occur due to poor packaging. So far, both set 1 and 2 came with at least 1 disc loose, and as a result got scratched.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ok Carlos. Thanks for answering. BTW, are you "cocopugg"? ;)

I'll look for the problem on my set today and try to respond by late afternoon or early this evening.

Take care,

Gary "man, I love that we are getting these dvds, but the defects are becoming a big problem" O.

Brian Cruz

Agent
I had the same problem with the same movie (which I discovered while I was fast forwarding through them all), but for me it happened at the 1 hour 10 minute mark. :frowning:

Terry H

Second Unit
Watched The Time of Their Lives and never had a problem. Box set errors are especially irritating because of the need to view all the movies/episodes multiple times. Fast forward doesn't always catch the glitch. This is why a more liberal exchange policy on sets is needed.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I had no problems with the 1st set or with Universal's similar Ma and Pa Kettle and Airport sets. My vol. 2 is in the mail so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but unless there are scratches or its an older player the disks seem to be fine.

I'm confused though why is this post in the T.V. shows section when we are talking about movies?:confused:

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I just got my replacement set from Amazon.com and guess what? The same thing, only on the flip side. The discs come loose in this package and get scratched. Mine were so scratched that when I tried to play them, the movies skipped entire chapters. Someone is asleep at quality control for Universal, and they should be alerted. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing these problems. I'm also sure companies like Amazon.com and other retailers will be pretty mad when they see all the returns they'll be getting. How hard is it for these companies to examine the packages before they get shipped, and simply shake one up, then open it and see if the discs got loose and scratched. This way they'll see they do, and correct the problem. Sheesh!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks