Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Munsters First Complete Season!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
107 replies to this topic

#1 of 108 OFFLINE   Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 04:06 PM

FINALLY the first season of this show is going to be released on DVD. That is so cool! I'm excited! I just hope they include the rare pilot with Happy Derman as Eddie, Joan Marshall as Pheobe Munster, and Edward Mallory as Jack!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 of 108 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 05:28 PM

Posted Image As Herman would say, "Oh, goodie, goodie, goodie, goodie!"

There are only two other shows that could make me happier when they are officially announced and that would be Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. For some reason I never thought the Munsters would be released on DVD. And the cool thing is that we'll only have to buy two sets because there were only two seasons!

Chris:L, I believe that rare pilot is going to be included as far as the information given about the release from scifiwire.com says:
Quote:
A DVD set of the first season of the classic 1960s monster sitcom The Munsters is headed for DVD on Aug. 24, in time for its 40th anniversary, Universal Home Entertainment announced. The show, starring Fred Gwynne and Yvonne De Carlo, aired from 1964 to '66 on CBS and dealt with a family of wacky monsters and their seemingly normal niece. The DVD set will carry a suggested retail price of $59.98 and includes the previously unaired pilot episode, plus all 38 episodes from show's first season.

I sure hope they have tons of extras all though there may not be room considering they have to squeeze so many episodes into a set.

#3 of 108 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 05:37 PM

(points down about 8 threads)

#4 of 108 OFFLINE   TomWoodward

TomWoodward

Second Unit

• 358 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 10:52 AM

We've just posted a few package shots here if you're interested...
Tom Woodward
DVDActive.com

#5 of 108 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 03:13 PM

Ach, Tom, I hadn't been by your site tonight and thought I was first up with those shots. Ah, well. Good job.

I took the shot of the table of contents, rotated it, and blew it up a bit so it could be read. Check that out here if you want.

Something I'm not talking about on TVShowsOnDVD, but I'll bring it up here: DVDPlanet's new listing today claims that the "Munsters Go Home!" movie is included in this set. All the evidence says that they're wrong. I'll find out for sure, though, and if it really is in there, I'll post something at TSoD of course.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 108 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 03:33 PM

Posted Image

While I doubt it'd be included as it seems out of context... I just bought the OOP Goodtimes release less than a month ago!

#7 of 108 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,499 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 03:54 PM

Here is a good reason why there appears to be no special features in this set:

http://www.image-ent....es/control.jsp

Check out the August announcement for "The Munsters: America's First Family of Fright" 2-disc SE.

#8 of 108 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Matt.

More info on this intriguing-looking 2-Disc set:

Synopsis: Your favorite TV ghouls have arrived on DVD with this fright-tastic two-disc set! Disc One features Four Amazing Looks at the Munsters: The Munsters: America's First Family of Fright; Fred Gwynne: More than a Munster; Yvonne DeCarlo: Gilded Lily; Al Lewis: Forever Grandpa; Disc Two with Hours of Eerie Extras: "My Fair Munster" plus 3 Different Presentations in Black and White and Color; Unaired Main Title Sequence (Pilot Version); CBS Network Promos; The Munsters in Several Vintage TV Special Appearances: "Seven Wonderful Nights" (CBS Special with Buddy Ebsen); "Wayne & Schuster Take an Affectionate Look at the Monsters"; "Marineland Carnival" (CBS Special); "Big G, Little O"; "It's What's Happening, Baby" (with "Murray the K"); "We Don't Knock" (with Lenny Clarke). Plus: Universal Newsreels; Syndication TV Spots; Munster Go Home Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots.

Posted Image

#9 of 108 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 05:54 PM

Eye of newt -- broiled!

Posted Image

#10 of 108 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 03:07 AM

That's the second time in 2 days that I came here to mention something, to already find out it's been posted! You guys are just too good! :P) Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#11 of 108 OFFLINE   Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 03:23 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong. The pilot was filmed in color, right?

#12 of 108 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 03:55 AM

I am so excited for both the release of the first season and the "extras" discs...but like was mentioned on tvshowsondvd.com I hope the retailers give a discount for buying both of them....that will be a lot of money that day if it isn't like that.

#13 of 108 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 03:59 AM

No the Series was B&W at least from the start I don't think they ever switched to color. THere seems to be 2 different case arts, I hope they are'nt going to use one of those Sopranos Like boxes I hate those. Would rather have a WB type Slipcase. BTW I like the Munsters but does anyone else think the $59.95 retail is a tad high? At least based on what the Green Acres, Gilligan Island price points were. I think a $39.95 retail is more warranted. Uinversal always seem to gouge for their products.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#14 of 108 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 05:29 AM

This is the first TV show that I've been interested in for some time. I have all of the Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, The Honeymooners and am waiting for more "All in the Family" & "The Simpsons", but outside of that, there are few that I want to own in their entirety.

That said, I'm extrememly nervous about this set. First off, Universal has terrible quality control, Secondly, DVD-18s seem to more problematic and more prone to being damaged. I want this set very bad, but I will definitely wait until some of these are out in the market place and reviews start pouring in. Why can't they just put the episodes on more discs, instead of cramming them into a small set? I love the way the Honeymooner's and Twilight zone sets are setup, and would rather sacrifice shelf space than have to worry about some of the episodes not playing when I finally get to them a year later.

#15 of 108 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 05:38 AM

Brandon is correct, the original pilot for THE MUNSTERS was indeed filmed in color, though the rest of the series was filmed in black and white. I guess they felt color was too expensive, or that it detracted from the atmosphere. Maybe a bit of both.

I've got the color pilot on tape, it has some different cast members.

Of course the 1966 feature MUNSTER GO HOME was shot in color, as was the 1981 THE MUNSTERS REVENGE reunion TV movie.

#16 of 108 OFFLINE   Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 05:44 AM

Quote:
No the Series was B&W at least from the start I don't think they ever switched to color.

I know the series was in B&W, but I've read that the pilot was filmed in color for make-up purposes. Is there any truth to this?

It's important to remember that Universal's DVD set will be the first official/legal release of the pilot. They would be the only ones to have access to a 35mm color negative if it existed.

Quote:
Brandon is correct, the original pilot for THE MUNSTERS was indeed filmed in color, though the rest of the series was filmed in black and white.
Thanks Steve! I knew I wasn't going crazy.Posted Image

#17 of 108 OFFLINE   paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 07:13 AM

Quote:
The Munsters in Several Vintage TV Special Appearances

WOW!....I'm speechless
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#18 of 108 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 08:18 AM

The Universal Studios website has s.1 up for presale for $39.98 which is $20.00 less than the listed retail price...there wasn't any more info about what was contained on the discs other than just the episodes. This is even less than what Amazon has it for ($41.99)....

Pre-order The Munsters at Universal

#19 of 108 OFFLINE   Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 03:16 PM

Saw this at The Munsters' Land of Fun site:

Quote:
The color pilot (or more correctly, presentation) was made as an attempt for a new show for the 1964 TV season. It was shown to network executives in hopes they'd like it, then in turn, of course, air it as a series.

It starred Fred Gwynne as Herman, Al Lewis as Grandpa, Beverley Owen as Marilyn, Joan Marshall as Phoebe, and Happy Derman as Eddie. The pilot was supposedly originally 12 minutes long, but only 5 minutes in color supposedly exist today. A longer re-cut version exists in black and white.

So there are 2 versions of the pilot with Joan Marshall. One 12 or 5 minute color presentation, and an extended B&W version. I wonder which one we'll be getting.

#20 of 108 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts

Posted July 29 2004 - 10:59 AM

I just read this review for the discs that Image is releasing over at DVDtalk....I can't wait to watch all those documentaries in addition to the actual episodes!!!

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow