What's new

Whose been served? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
Lol....ok, well I just got a job as a server at the Olive Garden. This is my first time serving and was wondering if some experienced pros here could give a brother a little advice on ways to be a better server/waiter. I'd love any advice. Especially cause it will go towards a bigger tip!!! lol. Thanks guys.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
It would help the tip situation if you were a highly attractive woman who flirts. So you might want to work on that. :D

Brad

Van Patton

Second Unit
well

maybe we can reverse roles and I can be the highly attractive male who flirts with the highly attractive females. No tip would be needed then other than 7 digits. lol.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Keep drinks filled, ask them if they need more bread/salad. Multitask. Pay attention. Handle more than just one table. Realize that I came in before that other table therefore I should get my bread first.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I read an article a while back on how to get better tips, IANAW though. I recall a few of the suggestions. Such as when you bring the bill, if you give out mints be sure and bring enough for everyone, or perhaps even two. I think it also suggested to give a few, then reach into your apron pocket and get a few more, like you're going above and beyond. It also suggested crouching down at the table, bringing yourself closer to their height, it seems friendlier.

It also suggested touching the customer on the shoulder when appropriate, but that probably works only for girls.

Since you're going to be at Olive Garden, I highly recommend you keep a close eye on the bread sticks and drinks, basically anything that gives free refills. I really like it when my drink is refilled before I need it. I also prefer getting a new glass if they're not pouring from a pitcher, rather than having to give up my drink and wait for it to return.

Oh yeah, and becoming a cute girl couldn't hurt. ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Oh, noooo no touching. This would be a very very bad thing to me, your tip would get cut in half.
I think the best advice you can get is from other HTF'ers just by asking what they prefer.
I'm easy, if you're friendly, keep my glass full, and don't pester me too much you're about guaranteed 20%
Big points for leaving me a fresh drink before mine is empty, come back and get the other empty glass later.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I can't stand it when the waitress makes up cute nicknames. Hon, stuff like that. Grates on my nerves.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As others have said...drinks, drinks, drinks. Keep 'em full. I HATE running dry when eating out because you know that those servers who let you run dry in the first place will never be seen again until you've choked down the rest of your meal. This is usually why I'll order my drink, plus a glass of water as backup (if water isn't automatically served).

And as Mark says, greet the tables in the order they were seated. It doesn't bother me so much, but I know my Mother HATES it when a table that came in after us is greeted first. She used to be a waitress when younger. I don't know how many times I've heard, "When I worked as a waitress, I never...." :rolleyes::D

Don't make me wait 20 minutes after I'm done eating for the check, either. And when you pick up the check and money/card, don't take another 20 minutes to return with change/credit slip. Usually, when I'm done eating, I'm ready to go. The longer I sit waiting for the check/change, the more your tip potentially shrinks depending on how much of a hurry I'm in.

Friendly is OK, but don't do anything that comes across as overly "familiar." I was at the Outback Steakhouse one time and the server actually asked me to push over in the booth so he could sit down beside me to take our order. Very creepy. I'd also veto any sort of touching.

Oh, and if our party orders an appetizer/salad, please try and time the entrees so that we have a chance to finish the first course. We were at Applebee's one time and ordered salads (which cost extra, too) with dinner. It took nearly 20 minutes for the salads to be brought out, then about 5 minutes after that the entrees were brought out. By the time we finished our salads, the entrees were cold. It was not a pleasant meal.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Good advice, I feel the same way.
In fact, half the time I have the card out by the time they bring the check heheh.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Prompt, polite, discreet service. That's all I ask. In return, I'll be equally polite, and genereous with my tip.

Overbearingly "nice" waiters are just as bad as neglectful ones.

If you want advice from fellow waiters/waitresess, try bitterwaitress.com. Just don't copy the sense of entitlement regarding tip %. Shitty service WILL earn you 0% from me, and many others.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I give big tips to people who are cool. You bullshit with me, for a couple of seconds (even if you're busy) and make yourself personable, I'll take care of you. If you're friendly, and smile (but genuine, don't fake it we can tell) you'll be well received.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
What is it like in Venezuela?
are waitstaff paid nearly nothing by the employer and working for mostly tips there as well?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Waiters here get minimum wage in some places, in others they get paid by the hour. In either case, though, it's customary to tip. There's no "expected" amount, but most people tip 10-15%.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I see. It's always interesting in other countries.
I had always heard people don't tip well in the UK, or often not at all (from a friend that grew up in the UK)
I left a guy a few euros on a cheap meal and he seemed pissed

this did make me laugh

:)
OK I'll quit before dragging this further off course

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The largest tip I've ever given was at an Olive Garden. The server managed to get my plate to the table but something went terribly wrong as he tried to deliver my wife's meal. Most of it ended up on the floor but my wife ended up wearing a fair amount.

The manager came around and told us we were eating for free. We felt bad for the server and since we weren't paying for the meal we left him a hefty tip.

***Use this technique at your own risk***

:)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
:eek: You're supposed to tip same-sex servers!!! :eek:

J/K!:D

I have 2 standard tips: 0% for shitty service, and 15% for most everything else.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As others have said, get the bill out promptly at the end of the meal. Nothing bugs me more than having to make another waiter/waitress track you down for the bill. Also, if you ask how everything was and I have a complaint, acknowledge the complaint and try to do something about it. If I just get a blank stare, I figure you really didn't care if everything was okay and therefore shouldn't have bothered to ask.

As for tipping, it takes a lot to piss me off, but when it does happen I never leave 0%. I leave a very small amount, just to make sure the waiter/waitress knows I simply didn't forget the tip. Normally I leave close to 20%, but I have left 25 cents on a $50 bill once when both the waitress and her manager really pissed me off over a situation (plus, we've never gone back).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks