What's new

Lost interest. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Over the last few years I've lost a great deal of interest in this hobby. I'm going to start to sell off much of my gear and software. I just plain don't use it anymore.

Movin' on............. Keep an eye out for some real goodies in the "For Sale" section.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear that.

It happens. In the late 90s, I was very heavily into Flight Simulation (Janes F-15, EAW, Falcon 4...) and CPU overclocking (and a serious computer geek in general). I completely lost interest in flight sims, and never ever thougth I would buy a prepackaged computer like the Dell I have today. Heck, I don't even remember the type of processor I have right now :eek:.

Regarding HT, I have seriously lost interest in hardware upgrades and I feel... free. But then again it's always been about the movies for me.

--
H

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I feel ya, good for you for taking the plunge.

I've made a strong effort to be content with my gear and not chase the latest features that come out every year.

It's just amazing how you can get caught up on buying the latest $2000 receiver for it's "warm sound"...while keeping your bright $1000 main speakers.

With our first child about to enter this world in a month or so...I've got other priorities now. :)

PS. I just bought a roadbike to begin my adventure into another hobby. Instead of sitting on my arse watching movies and listening to music I get to exercise, get some fresh air, and meet new people.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Phillip Hamm ... One of the few around from the early days of the HTF. I remember all your enthusiastic posts. :emoji_thumbsup:

Good luck with whatever you do!

Might be time for a change for me as well. :b

Jim Ed

Agent
I feel the same... up till about two years ago, I would try to keep up with HT, computers and other electronic devices. Then I discovered cycling...wow I would have to say it is way more fun than home theater. I still enjoy movies, but I can definetly say there will not be anymore gear upgrades unless something breaks.

Jim Ed

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I found a gf and Unreal Tournament 2004.

Losing...interest...in...HT...

But, we do watch quite a few movies together, so I'll be holding onto my equipment for quite a while. :D

It was nice knowing you Philip. *sheds tear*

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Me too Buzz. :D

Hope you'll still drop in now and then Philip!

For me, HT is less about the hardware, and more about the movies. I don't have a big living room, so I'm limited as to what I can do. (At least until our NEXT house...) So I tend to spend more on the actual DVDs than I do on other goodies...

Anywho, hope you find something new to have fun with Philip! :)

DavidAM

Second Unit
I sorta lost interest also. Well, its not that I lost interest, I'm just happy with what I have now, so I haven't been following the latest and greatest stuff. By no means would I sell my equipment, I just don't have the desire for anything else right now.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I used to be more into the hardware and software topics that were the rage years ago (DD vs. DTS, DIVX, Subs, Cables, etc.) but now have pretty much left my system alone for the past several years. I still enjoy watching movies on the system but don't feel the desire to check out every new "demo" scene that someone recommends.

I'll peek in the Music or Video Software forums from time to time, but my interest in the hardware has eroded as the industry has matured and stabilized. The cool thing is having After Hours to talk about non-HT topics with friends who were made during HT discussions.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Got the shirt, but found in my case it was a lack of funds that caused me to lose interest.

Brent

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I hope to see you around in the future, even if its just to stop by and say "hi" to the old timers here. Hell, some of us have been here since the last millennium :D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Philip:

I don't blame you. With a new wife, new house and all you have other things to occupy your time and money. It's funny how one day something that means so much to you doesn't have the same meaning the next. What did you end up doing with the cool HT room you were in the process of building?

Parker

Kami

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear that.

I too have lost interest but not in the same way. I just don't upgrade equipment that often. Now that I got my HDTV and a decent sound system nothin else really matters. I have it all cause I just like watching movies. No more monthly upgrades though, I got other hobbies that suck up my money.

I can see my current stuff lasting me for at least 5 years, I probably won't even need to buy a HD-DVD player since I use a HTPC.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
HT was never a hobby for me. I bought a bunch of stuff and still have it. I have no desire to change any of it. (Except the TV but I'd have bought that anyhow.) I have a lot of DVDs but was never into getting new releases or anything unless its a film I felt needed to be on my shelf.

I spend no money on HT except the occasional movie. My investment in equipment is trivial ($2000 or so) and completely satisfies me. TV not included.

It was never all consuming for me. Good luck - don't sell all your equipment though, unless you need the money. Why would you?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I have not "lost interest" but I have a less emotional attachment to my gear. I still have a system with a price tag of over $15k, and always will, but I dont get as worked up over the details anymore, always tweaking. I always upgrade to the latest greatest stuff, but I simply regard my system as "adaquate". For some people, Im sure my system is refrence quality or overkill, but for me, Ive "settled". Its just like owning a car. I quit messing around with cars, too. I used to have an old 240z that i was always working on, and making in cooler. I finally just bought a VW Golf 1.8T, and its awesome, and a better car in every way. But its also less personal, less special. Owning a $15k car and a $15k HT is just standard for me. I love them both, but i dont emotional eattachment to them. I just get in, and go. Perfect perfomance, no hassles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks