What's new

THE FLASH TV series...when? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
As I recall, the last good superhero TV show was THE FLASH. While the show only lasted 1 season, it sure was alot of fun. I wish it would've lasted longer. Now I'm wondering if this great show will ever be released on DVD. Anyone heard any news?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Mark Hamill as the Trickster is the closest Batman:Animated fans will get to seeing a live action version of Hamill's Joker. The way he does the voice and portrays the character is almost exactly the same.

As for the show coming out on dvd. It's possible. But, at the last Warner chat they said it was not planned. :frowning:

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I think that the series will arrive about the same time that there is a cold front in Hell.

I would purchase this series in a heartbeat. It was fun, it was flashy (pardon the pun) and it should have been given a better chance than what it was.

Hopefully, with the arrival of the Wonder Woman series and next years Batman film, WB will truly realize the impact that their live action superheroes have on the buying public.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I always blamed the Gulf War for the cancellation of this show because it was constantly being pre-empted and shuffled around. I knew the show was doomed so I managed to tape several episodes before it got canned.

I would buy the series on DVD if it ever came out.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Gary is correct. In a TV Guide interview at the time. The president of CBS said it was his fault for the show being cancelled. He moved it around too much. Also, the show did very well over in Europe and South America.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
This show is yet another reason to get my Beta deck repaired.

Several of the episodes were compiled into movies and released both here (pilot and Trickster episodes) and in the UK (pilot, Trickster, and Nightshade episodes), but I don't know how they did. A full-season release of this series might surprise Warner. So many people remember it so fondly. The production values on it were really pretty impressive, and the series holds up extremely well - no mean feat, considering it's over 10 years old.

I could totally see Mark Hamill getting into doing commentary on this. He was so psyched to be on the show, I remember. Didn't he also pitch a script idea for the show?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd get this as well, as I really loved the show.

Maybe it well be a tie in with the rumored new flash tv series? (Set like Smallville, wich is an idea I'm not really sold on, as I don't care for Smallville.)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Chris, The show ran on CBS in 1990. It starred John Wesley Shipp as Barry Allen/Flash. It was done in a similar style as the Tim Burton Batman. Danny Elfman even did the theme.

John Simon

Second Unit
In my opinion, this was one of the best comic book adaptations ever, and I seriosly hope to see it released on DVD sometime.

Oh, and in response to someone's comparison to Batman, that's dead on. I still remember that some of the dialogue from the end of the pilot seemed nearly identical to the Batman/Joker dialogue from the end of Batman.

LizH

Second Unit

Clark's superpowers aside, it really isn't all that different from the rest of the teen-angst crap (i.e., 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Everwood, etc.) clogging The WB schedule.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

OT- but, i was really rooting for the show, being a big comic book/superhero fan, but looking back at it a few years later it was easy to see its weaknesses

1) Flash, like Spider-man, is a 'sunshine' superhero to me.
plugging the character into that dark urban visual asthetic just told me that the producers were trying to ride Batmans coattails and not really giving much thought to the source or even trying to carve their own niche. they were just apeing what was in vogue at the time. it was ok, but it smacked of a lazy, thoughtless 'rip-off' approach

2) the biggest problem with the show was that for some reason they made the episodes stand alones.
part of the quality that makes things like Alias, 24, NYPD Blue, and Dallas, to mention just a few, so compulsively watchable week in and week out, is because the shows hew to a strong continuity, and most of the episodes involve some kind of cliffhanger to make you want to not miss the next episode.
i think if the series had just done this one thing- it would have lasted longer than one season

for a superhero show not to engage in cliffhangers, again showed very little thought going into adapting it for a different medium.
in fact, Flash is the show that should have instituted the concept of the season long 'big bad' long before Buffy did.

3) poor conceptuliazation of the character(s).
the guy is supposed to be a police scientist and was very rarely shown engaing in the day to day mundane tasks that job requires- for some reason he was behaving in most episodes like a lieutenant detective- out in the field doing things that should have been the provence of a detective.

in the pilot the point is made that the Barrys father didn't respect Barry as much as he did his older brother because Barry wasn't engaging in 'real police work'.
that was nice little character touch, but that conflict was dropped after being giving lip service in the pilot

high production values , Shipp was a charming lead, and Pays was very attractive, but the conceptualization of the show and it's characters was weak.

but i would still buy it if it ever gets released :)
in fact, i'm surprised WB chose Wonder Woman as their superhero tie-in release (w/ Spider-man).
i would have thought Flash would have been more obvious a choice.
maybe, if WW sells well, they can fast track it to tie in to the dvd release of S-M2?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've brought this up with WB a few times. I think it would be a good chance to get a set out and not have to worry about scheduling anything more.

Gord

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
This gets my vote. I was only 11 or 12 when the series originally ran, but I can remember it being very polished and exciting. Somewhere along it's run I lost track of it in the schedule shuffle. This was really the 1st attempt at doing a serious adaption of a DC comic for TV. Wonder Woman tried, but didn't quite make it. A DVD release would be very welcome.

I would think that The Flash would be the least obvious choice. WW hasn't been out of syndication since it ended. Whereas the Flash series is fairly obscure and rarely seen. WW was shooting for high drama, but instead was high camp which has endeared it with audiences for nearly 30 years. I think Warner made the right decision and hopefully WW success will prompt them to release The Flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks