Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Euro-Mullet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 03:08 PM

Ok I've held off from starting this thread for a while but now I feel is the time. While I was touring around Europe last month I noticed a particular hairstyle on young men that I never thought I'd see while in Europe: the mullet. A hairstyle I thought was strictly a US thing but apparently not!

The "Euro-Mullet", as I call it, is mostly popular in the UK. In England it's running rampant. I mean it's EVERYWHERE in London. On the streets, TV programs, etc. But I did notice the hairstyle also in Sweden and I believe France, although I can't be sure. It certainly wasn't as popular in France as elsewhere in Europe. Then again the people with the Euro-Mullet I saw in France might have been from England.

At any rate, the Euro-Mullet is a short haircut, usually the front/top is spiked but mostly pointed in a pyramid or triangular-like shape. Sides are short. But the back is unmistakably Mullet. See hastily drawn illustration below.

Posted Image

It's as if Europe has taken the Mullet, embraced it and made it their own. I was like "Wow these people have taken the Mullet and actually made it cool!...in a pop punk rock kinda way... Maybe some of our European members can shed some light on this phenomenon. Could the Mullet make a comeback in the U.S.? Posted Image

#2 of 20 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 03:43 PM

Hey, everything that was old is now new (again).

Better get my "Members Only" jacket ready.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#3 of 20 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 04:38 PM

Oh my goodness. Now I understand why mother nature gave us male baldness...
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#4 of 20 Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 05:11 PM

I think that guy jaime oliver has something like that? Anyway I don't see the problem with it. Mostly young guys have this right? They can usually pull it off. And the euro mullets don't have that 'hick' vibe which is probably where most of the stigma comes from.

edit: pic

http://images.amazon....1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

#5 of 20 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 05:18 PM

Unless there's a new pic of Jaime Oliver with the Euro-Mullet then no I don't think he has one. He might have an American Mullet which is generally much longer in the front, as I usually see with Oliver's hair. But the Euro version can be easily identified because it's basically a spiked haircut but with that extra mullet attachment on the back.

#6 of 20 Dennis

Dennis

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 12:24 AM

That looks like Jimmy Fallon's 'do last season on SNL.

#7 of 20 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
If I ever end up wearing those old-man golf shirts with the stiff collars, I trust one of you here will track me down and do the decent thing.

Ask for your autograph?

Posted Image

Hmm, Euro-mullet looks like a toned-down punk hairdo. Or something you'd expect to see in a Joy Division concert way back when...
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#8 of 20 Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 05:37 AM

It is actually an old thing in Europe and only a few people have it. Those who are still living in the 80's. Some people can't get over their teenage / early 20's and stick with their old look with a mullet and very tight black jeans (straw jean is what we used to call them). They were popular with certain groups of people in the early- and mid-80's.

Definately a short cut with just the back long, or even the back short and just long starting from your neck. Horrible looking cut, thank god I never wore one even back then.

#9 of 20 Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 05:59 AM

Hm...

Hockey Hair...

Always thought it was a Canadian Thing. Posted Image

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#10 of 20 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 06:22 AM

Quote:
The "Euro-Mullet", as I call it, is mostly popular in the UK. In England it's running rampant. I mean it's EVERYWHERE in London.

Yes, fashion victims really do stand out, don't they?

I hate to burst your bubble, Garry, and I hope you had a nice time on your visit. However, it's a fad and one largely confined to parts of London and other cities. Certainly it's completely passed by we poor hicks in the sticks. Far commoner in the UK is the fashion for shaving off all the head hair at the first sign of a receding hairline and growing a goatee beard.

#11 of 20 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 06:37 AM

Mommy I want a mullet!

Stewie- Family Guy

Posted Image
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#12 of 20 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 06:42 AM

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, Garry, and I hope you had a nice time on your visit. However, it's a fad and one largely confined to parts of London and other cities.
Thanks for confirming the fad, Andrew and yes I had a nice time(except for those dreadful 2 days when I came down with something and was stuck in my hotel room!). Posted Image I just thought how funny it would be if I started seeing this cut on guys in the US. As matter of fact, I was actually relieved when I returned to the US to see no Mullets in sight(at least in L.A.).
Quote:
Certainly it's completely passed by we poor hicks in the sticks.
Now that's a switch! Hicks in the US probably still wear mullets while hicks in the UK aren't trendy enough to get one? Posted Image

#13 of 20 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
Now that's a switch! Hicks in the US probably still wear mullets while hicks in the UK aren't trendy enough to get one?

Indeed not. Outside the city limits we're still covering ourselves in woad.Posted Image

Oh all right, I'll be serious. The nearest Brit equivalent to the social group you're describing would have skinhead haircuts (i.e. very short cropped hair) and spend most of their time in trainers (non-designer), blue jeans and the soccer shirts of their favourite team. The same outfit will be worn in all weathers until it gets 'scorching hot' (i.e. in the seventies) whereupon the shirt will come off, large amounts of lager will be drunk and a night in the police cells becomes a high probability.

#14 of 20 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,271 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 04 2004 - 10:51 AM

It looks a bit like a "faux-hawk," which I believe Fallon was doing.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#15 of 20 Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 12:30 AM

You should see some of the aweful hairdos here in Munich. The newest one I've noticed is guys with their hair plastered down to their skull in the front and the top back "teased up" it looks so bad I have had bite my lip keep from breaking out in laughter at some of the people I see on the subway. In fact fashion in general is quite bad here. Too many people are still living in the 80's, things like legwarmers, white jeans, or half whit/half blue jeans are quite prevelant. It's like a wierd mixture of 80's fashion mixed with a little hip-hop and alternative punk styles. It is truly bad, but then again maybe I'm just not hip, who knows

#16 of 20 PhillJones

PhillJones

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 04:15 AM

Do you mean this sort of thing?

http://www.screaming..../large/10.html

When I left England back in January, more and more of this kind of nonsence was making it pop culture, especially on the telly. I never saw any real people actually sporting the 'had a rough night' look. It disturbs me that they've started doing so. I'm scared to go back now.

Then again, I did live in Oxford; not known for it's fast moving, vibrant culture.

#17 of 20 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 05:21 AM

Yep that's basically it: the Euro-Mullet
Posted Image

I've also seen shorter versions where the hair on top and the front isn't that long. More extreme, less shaggy. But in essence that's the look I was seeing a lot of: punk crossed with a mullet. Punk Mullets?

#18 of 20 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
Punk Mullets?

I believe it's called the 'bed head' look (i.e. like your hair looks first thing in the morning before you've brushed it). I found the following link on Google that may be of interest:

http://www.thehealth......bed head.htm

#19 of 20 MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 07:55 AM

For a long while I've been bewildered by the widespread fascination of this particular hairstyle.

A search on Google for "mullet fascination" turned up this interesting tidbit:

Quote:
Mulletville

Man, the DVD release showing of this one was pretty spectacular. See, it's a local filmmaker (who I guess one of my mom's younger coworkers used to date or something), so he and his friends basically wallpapered Downtown with posters for it. And what with the mullet fascination in the zeitgeist these days, the name alone was enough to inspire a record turnout, but they also put a little glyph of a trailer on the ads, which sealed the deal. So the Capitol Theater was pretty packed.

[snip...]

And yes, maybe the concept is classist and exploitative, but it's also drop-dead funny, and it ends up being as much a criticism of shallow elitism as it is a jest at dead-end jobs, cars on cinderblocks, and shitty interior decoration.

You can find more information about this particular DVD at Amazon.com.

"Remember that always dressing in understated good taste is the same as playing dead." --Susan Catherine

"Be careless in your dress if you will, but keep a tidy soul." --Mark Twain

-Mike
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

#20 of 20 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 08:12 AM

I detest the term 'bed head' for those hairstyle looks. They are still all controlled hair styles. Now if they really want a 'bed head' look then just snap a photo of mua in the morning. A true 'bed head' has a flat spot on one side. Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow