What's new

Alias - 5/2/04 - Legacy (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
After tonight there will only be the season finale left for fans of Alias. I really like the direction it's been taking in the last 3 or so episodes and I hope it continues to pick up. The finale is entitled "Resurrection" so maybe we'll get a surprise visit from DaddyVaughn?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
An okay episode:

Vaughn's single-minded-ness in getting even with Lauren affects the interrogation with the tooth doctor.

Sloan has to make a deal with the blondies that he breaks just to get the green liquid for Nadia.

Jack has to broker a deal with Toni to get into Sloan's place in Kyoto by overcoming the security system. Toni tries to hire Marshall. Marshall was dumb enough to show her photos of his newborn.

Sydney rescues Nadia, though Nadia does return the favor since Vaughn left Sydney to go chasing after Lauren.

Vaughn's checking out Jack's stash to get geared up to go after Lauren.

Jack and Katya hook up.

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Hold on a second here. Didn't Vaughn last week tell Sydney that she shouldn't see her sister again because of the prophecy that they will destroy each other? Where was the follow up on that this week? Are we supposed to forget that happened or what?

Also, couldn't they have used Nadia's brain waves to locate her like they did last week?

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Having said that, they show has got so crazy that I find I can stand the wait afterall.

I like the characters and I'm still interested in Rimbaldi.

Along with the action, this used to be an emotionally intelligent show, with Sydney dealing with her fiance's death. Francee (sp?) and Will injected pleasant non-CIA interludes too. That's all gone. Reading brainwaves from space? Convenient escape tunnels? Please. There's almost too much action each week, although I can't believe I am saying that. The emotional breaks are so brief and stand out so starkly I groan every time Sydney decides to have a "chat" with Vaugn. It doesn't feel right any more. Next scene they are all ready for action again.

I almost wish they'd wrap it all up in one last season, they seem to have run out of ideas for the weekly shows even if the broader arc is still interesting. Each week it's race Sark and Lauren for object X, have them all shoot a bit and miss each other.

Sark, Lauren, Sydney, and Vaugn are just filler at this point.

Thankfully Sloan and Jack make the show great! "Just for the record, I can handle this on my own." Excellent!!

I bet the season finale kicks major ass :) I'm guessing they piece together the location of Rimbaldi's secret. Sloan, Sark/Lauren, and Syd/Vaugn all figure it out separately, and arrive within five minutes of one another. Vaugn snipes Lauren, Sark shoots and injures Vaugn, Syd and Sark shoot at each other while Sloan slips through and starts whatever they're supposed to do there. Syd outfoxes Sark and she makes for Sloan.

Then Jack & Spy-Aunt show up with The Passenger. The Passenger double-crosses them and rushes to protect Sloan as he finishes the procedure. Syd tries to interfere and Spy-Sis shoots Syd. Sloan completes the procedure and is seen in rapture. End of season.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Laugh out loud moment for me was Lauren pulling out the bazooka and Jack and Spy Auntie hooking up.

Also liked the Ursula Andress moment where Sydney comes out of the ocean.

Nice to see Sloan still has a heart to protect his daughter.

Overall fun episode.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After Jack described the contents of the storage bunker I figure he's just one step away from being a psycho/sociopath. It's been said before, but I'm glad he's on our side.

I wonder what's left of Dr. Lee? It's getting to the point he'll just be a torso and head like the knight from Holy Grail! He'll have to bite his victims for torture.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I taped tonight's episode and an episode of The West Wing I'd never seen before (Season 3's "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic") and I gotta say, tonight's episode of Alias was a poorly acted weak effort of a show. Two, count 'em two high points for me.

1. "For the record, I can go through this alone."

2. And Ron Rifkin's consistently great Sloane

That's it. I watched the West Wing and every scene is the high point. Listen to C.J.'s comments on a tragedy at a press briefing after someone asked her if she's outraged after 17 girls were let to burn to death in a school in Saudi Arabia:

100 % right on the money Graham.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

Thanks. I'm pretty proud of it myself.

I've started every Alias thread since the season premiere. I think at this point I've earned the right to crap on my own foot.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But it's a straw man argument, bringing up West Wing out of the blue. TWW has a different scope of getting to little speeches of outrage.

I haven't found the characterizations on Alias to be so off-kilter that it's ruined my enjoyment of the show. I totally get the single-minded-ness of Vaughn after being "played" for 2-3 years and having to endure the torture from her and her buddy Sark. Is it asking the agents too much to compartmentalize their feelings while moving through the plot developments? Obviously when their feelings get the better of them, it shows that they are human, in the face of trying to do their jobs.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

No. That would involve the writers remembering a previous gadget. Or maybe the satellite was being used by another division. ;)

Reasonable episode, by this year's standards (DWFP). That line when Katia says (something like) "I find you sexy, Jack" was probably the worst bit of dialogue I've heard in a long while. I watched this episode with my sister, and we both howled with derision at that one. The rest of the episode I was trying to convince her how Sloane is the only good guy left in Alias, and how Jack, Syd and Vaughn are all evil in comparison...

BTW, who d'you all reckon would win in a knife fight between Jack Bristow and Jack Bauer? My money's on Bauer, provided they fight at the beginning of the day, and Sydney has been slapping about Kim...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I find the action scenes in the West Wing somewhat lacking. Don't any of the White House aides know any Kung Fu? It really comes up short as a spirited action adventure yarn. ;)

Regards,

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
:laugh:

I think every point he made was pretty valid. Last night's episode was definitely one the disrupted the flow of good episodes established from the previous 3 or so. I really liked the scene where Jack offered Vaugn the key and where Toni tried to recruit Marshall. However, there were just way, way, way too many laugh out loud (not for good reasons) or inconceivable (yes, EVEN for Alias) instances for me to forgive. If Vaugn is going to put one between Lauren's eyes, I pray to got he won't have to snipe her - did ANYONE ELSE please catch the end where he's getting a feel for the sniper rifle, takes a look down the sights and pulls the trigger? He's such a badass, he won't even have to take the cover off to see her. It's little things like that which can add up and just make you shake your head at a show you used to love but now tolerate.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Normally I'm the last one who would complain about "Alias," but there was one exchange that made me laugh last night. When Syd was surprised to see Vaughn out of the hospital so soon, and he said he checked himself out early, she says something like "Didn't they want to keep you for observation?" That was probably the dumbest line in the history of the show. I don't know how Jennifer Garner said it with a straight face. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I think having to say "Hi, I'm Elektra Natchios!" with a straight face prepared her pretty well.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu

Vaugn: "Grrr... I'm a mighty sniper! Who needs scopes?"

This was the best capture I could get and it really looks like he either has x-ray vision, or that's the blackest lens I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks