What's new

Watching Twister on DVD last night while it was on TV (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
My wife and I happened to turn on the TV last night as "Twister" was just starting. I checked the networks high definition counterpart and the movie seemed to be upconverted but wasn't being televised in HD wide screen.

We decided to watch the DVD. We haven't played this in quite awhile, and immediately we noticed a more captivating and dramatic impact than what we just saw. Also, we noticed that the network had cut portions of the opening scene.

When the movie credits ended, I immediately switched to the televised counter-part which was playing a commercial. When the program resumed, it showed the credits. We could only imagine how much of the film they had to cut to include all the commercials. We enjoyed the entire uncut movie in the same amount of time as the broadcast and the picture quality was better.

Paul

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing Twister on opening night at Mann's Chinese. The audience was literally roaring with laughter at the cliches and bad dilaogue. Never in my life have I seen an audience boo a screenwriting credit at the end of a movie, except for Twister. Spielberg's name received some applause, then the screenwriting credit appeared and the audience erupted with boos. Amazing reaction.

Still, as bad as the movie is, its fun. I like my disaster movies good and stupid and fun, and Twister fills that bill. Right up there with The Swarm, Meteor, and Independence Day.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
It's a great movie for eliciting so much fun and laughter at the screenwriter's expense...

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I did this the other night except it was for Kingpin. I turned to CMT and it was on but then they cut out the whole cow milking scene and then I decided to just watch the DVD.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member

Weird. I remember seeing the film opening weekend at the now demolished Cinedomes 12 here in Vegas and the audience loved the film. I haven't seen the film in years (so I don't know how it would hold up now), but I remember liking the film as a good summer popcorn flick.

Maybe I should pick the DVD up one of these days...

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
It's a comedy thriller. The scene with the flying cow is guaranteed to provoke fits of laughter, and this just builds up and gets funnier and funnier.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Interesting Scene in Twister that I caught. When those multiple twisters appear on the water by the bridge, you see them driving fast towards it. However, in one part where the camera is in front of the vehicle looking back, you can clearly see behind them that its nice and sunny and cars are passing by like any other day.

Have the DVD but haven't watched it yet. I think I'll check it out tonight just to see that scene again. :D

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Romar, there are literally heaps and heaps of continuity errors in the film; that's just one of many. :)

I still love it. Cheesy, silly, overblown, but oodles of fun. Also makes a handy tool for getting my neighbor to shut her dog up when the damn thing starts barking. "You won't control your mutt? Fine, I'll just pop in "Twister" and crank the F5 scene." Works pretty well.

cheers,
Phil

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
For what it is...Twister holds up pretty darn well.

I saw this film at Indian Hills Theater here before it was demolished to build a parking lot (..."don't it always seem to go that ya don't know what ya got til its gone"...)

It was one of the few remaining Cineramas in America and had the giant wraparound screen. The tornados looked amazing in that theatre...

:frowning:

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
That movie has some of the worst dialogue I have ever heard. I wonder if any of those actors have ever watched Twister a second time.

Peace,

DM

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I saw this dreadful movie on the following day after opening night -- at the Chinese. And that audience, too, laughed and groaned at the dialogue. As far as tornadic realism goes, give me the storm scene in The Wizard of Oz any day.

Twister was the very movie that made me go on permanent boycott of Big Dumb Summer Popcorn Movies.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I saw this movie at the budget theaters here at our big mall. Seeing as we had one of the worst Tornados in Canada a few years ago, you'd think it was a documentary the way the audience was reacting. Which didn't help me in any way when I bellowed a laugh while the rest of the theater gasped in horror when Helen Hunts Dad got sucked out of the cellar in the opening scene.
:b

I don't think I've ever been so burned by the evil eyes as I was that day.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The networks also "Time compress..." films now too, as well as cutting scenes for time. TBS was the 1st station I noticed this on... It looks like they skip a frame every second. Very noticeable on pans... Like, a ship going by. It stutters slightly once a second. I synced up a DVD once to something and noticed the broadcast slowly pulling ahead.
TV stations for the most part are a waste. non-oar, way too many adverts, their damn logos in the corner and distracting full motion promos in the other corner. Even Bravo now does it. A waste.
:frowning: D

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Twister isn't that awful. Yes the bits with Jonah aree lame and cliches abound but the acting is generally decent and the action moves along. I also like the score. I won't deny it's a corny picture but it's fun and doesn't take itself seriously one bit.

Twister is not a serious film by any means, I admit that straight out. But it is a fun film. I put it on in the winter when I want to remember what summer feels like or when I just want a mindless popcorn movie to occupy my time while working on something else. The build-up scenes are wonderfully ominous and the sound is impressive for such an early release. Twister is less prone to ruin my suspension of disbelief than Armageddon or Independence Day so I own it instead of the others.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I watch it every once in awhile. I can't stand Helen Hunt or Bill Paxton for that matter but it is such a cheasy film with some pretty good FX that hold up well IMO. Plus the sound definitly rocks the house. There is one sound cue, when a tornado is coming, that always gives me chills. :D

I can't seem to watch any big summer movie on a network/cable station. Just loses all of the fun.

Plus I'm an fx/sound whore. :D

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Twister has some of the worst writing and acting ever. It's one big cliche after cliche, with more cliches thrown in for good measure.

But I love the film. Saw it twice in the theatre. Bought it on VHS then DVD and have watched it millions of times. I am kinda picky about my movies and if you looked at my fav list, you would be surprised that I like this movie this much (although it isn't on my fav list). I file it under guilty pleasure.

I almost expected the chasers to say, "we're gonna need a bigger van!"

Hey Jason, your movies are pretty good! I play BFV myself! Good stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks