What's new

Weekly RoundUp 5/4/04 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If I hold you any closer, I'll be in back of you.
–Groucho Marx as Hugo Z. Hackenbush (A Day At The Races - 1937)

[c]The Weekly RoundUp[/c]
[C]
____________TITLE____________ _ _Amazon _ BestBuy _ CrcCity _ Target_ _ Costco_
Adventures of Ma/Pa Kettle Vol. 2_ _ $13.99 __ $14.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Back to Bataan____________________ _ $16.97 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Battleground______________________ _ $16.97 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Bernie Mac Show: S1_______________ _ $34.99 __ $35.99 __ $35.99 __ $35.99 __ $_N/A_ __
Best of Abbott/Costello Vol. 2____ _ $17.49 __ $22.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Big Green_________________________ _ $16.99 __ $14.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Bloodhounds of Broadway___________ _ $21.22 __ $22.99 __ $24.97 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Calendar Girls____________________ _ $20.99 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $17.29 __
Campion: Season 2_________________ _ $67.98 __ $79.99 __ $59.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
**Chasing Liberty_________________ _ $19.56 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __
A Day at the Races________________ _ $13.98 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Desk Set__________________________ _ $10.49 __ $12.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Elephant__________________________ _ $19.56 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Flying Leathernecks_______________ _ $16.97 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Gilmore Girls: Season 1___________ _ $41.99 __ $44.99 __ $39.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $36.99 __
Girl With a Pearl Earring_________ _ $18.89 __ $17.99 __ $19.99 __ $17.99 __ $16.99 __
Herbie Goes Bananas_______________ _ $16.99 __ $14.99 __ $17.98 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo________ _ $16.99 __ $14.99 __ $17.98 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Herbie Rides Again________________ _ $16.99 __ $14.99 __ $17.98 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Incred.True Adv.Two Girls 'n Love_ _ $16.97 __ $14.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
K-9 Patrol Pack___________________ _ $16.98 __ $14.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
**The Last Samurai________________ _ $19.47 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $18.89 __
Law & Order: Season 2_____________ _ $41.99 __ $41.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $36.99 __
Love! Valour! Compassion!_________ _ $13.98 __ $14.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Marx Brothers Collection__________ _ $41.94 __ $57.99 __ $49.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Miracle in Lane 2_________________ _ $16.99 __ $14.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Monarch of the Glen: Series 2_____ _ $27.99 __ $30.59 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Monarch of the Glen: Series 1 & 2_ _ $55.94 __ $63.99 __ $59.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
A Night at the Opera______________ _ $13.98 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
A Night in Casablanca_____________ _ $16.97 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Now You See Him, Now You Don’t____ _ $16.99 __ $14.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
On the Road w/ Hope & Crosby______ _ $21.23 __ $22.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
The Osbournes: Season 2 1/2_______ _ $20.99 __ $19.99 __ $17.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __
Party of Five: Season 1___________ _ $34.96 __ $35.99 __ $34.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __
**Peter Pan_______________________ _ $18.89 __ $17.99 __ $17.99 __ $17.99 __ $18.29 __
Plain Dirty (Killing Edgar)_______ _ $22.93 __ $24.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Samurai Jack: Season 1____________ _ $20.99 __ $24.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Strongest Man in the World________ _ $16.99 __ $14.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Three of Hearts___________________ _ $16.97 __ $14.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Three’s Company: Season 2_________ _ $27.99 __ $24.99 __ $24.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __
Tomorrow__________________________ _ $24.56 __ $24.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Torch Song Trilogy________________ _ $13.98 __ $14.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Triplets of Belleville____________ _ $17.47 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $18.99 __
Willie Nelson: Live at Billy Bob’s _ $17.99 __ $15.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
[/C]

Titles included in some of the collections listed in the grid:

Adventures of Ma & Pa Kettle – Volume 2: Ma & Pa Kettle at the Fair, …on Vacation, …at Home, …at Waikiki.

Best of Abbott & Costello -- Volume 2: Hit the Ice, In Society, Here Come the Co-eds, Naughty Nineties, Little Giant, Time of the Lives, Buck Privates, Come Home, Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap, Abbott & Costello Meet Jerry Seinfeld.

K-9 Patrol Pack: K-9, K-911, K-9: PI.

Marx Brothers Collection: A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, A Night in Casablanca, Room Service, At the Circus, Go West, The Big Store.

On the Road with Hope & Crosby: Road to Singapore, Road to Zanzibar, Road to Morocco, Road to Utopia.

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including (or the ones Dave tells me he's looking for ;o)). In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. So, please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like Dave & I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart prices in the standard Roundup: Wal-Mart sets prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart location. When it comes to Wal-Mart prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Mileage May Vary".

**BE CAREFUL! Chasing Liberty AND The Last Samurai AND Peter Pan are available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one!!!

--Amazon is still featuring free shipping on orders over $25. Restrictions apply.

--In sync with the airing of the series finale of Friends, May 6, Best Buy is offering deals on the season sets of Friends. Save $10 when you buy any two seasons of Friends. Seasons 1 & 2 are on sale for $29.99 each. Seasons 3 through 7 are on sale for $34.99 each.

--K-Mart is advertising the following DVDs for $19.99 this week: Peter Pan, Chasing Liberty, and Calendar Girls. The Last Samurai is $15.99. K-Mart is also offering a “K-Mart Exclusive” of a FREE Peter Pan light wand when you purchase Peter Pan. Quantities limited, No rain checks.

--Circuit City seems to have stopped putting glossy weekly sales inserts in my local Sunday paper. Has anyone else experienced this? Instead, they are going with a less-than-full-page ad in the first section of the actual newspaper itself.

-------------------------

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: May 4, 2004 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

Buena Vista The Ref, Scenes From a Mall ... $9.99
Love's Labours Lost, A Walk on the Moon ... $14.99
25th Hour, Paid in Full, The Recruit, Reign of Fire, Undisputed ... $19.99

Columbia/Tri-Star Auto Focus, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Donnie Brasco, Finding Forrester, In God's Hands, The Mothman Prophecies (non-SE) ... $14.95
All I Want, Mr. Jones ... $19.95

MGM Ghost World, Hart's War, The Magnificent Seven, Salvador, The Terminator, Windtalkers ... $14.95
Assassination Tango, Boardheads, Bulletproof Monk, It Runs In The Family, Jeepers Creepers 2, Manic, Out Of Time, Uptown Girls ... $19.98
Windtalkers (Director's Edition) ... $29.98

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks again Mike.

I'll be replacing my ld of Desk Set (finally!) and also buying Abbott & Costello 2, along with some of the Disney flicks (depending on what I can find out about OAR I'll be picking up Herbie Rides Again, Now You See Him Now You Don't, and The Strongest Man in the World), and if I can somehow verify an improved picture quality, I'll replace my current Great Locomotive Chase.

A while back, this date had been rumored for new and improved versions of Crimson Tide and Enemy of the State. Sorry to see those didn't come to pass. :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
George:

Please LMK what you find out about the OAR on the Disney movies. I didn't have time to check into that. If you find out there's been any croppin' goin' on, report it here and I'll do some cuttin' myself. :D

And, I did not see any info on a new release of the Great Locomotive Chase. Is that suppose to be out this week?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

$15.99:
Freaky Friday
Under the Tuscan Sun
Cheaper By the Dozen

$19.99:
Big Fish
Love Actually
Something's Gotta Give

$8.99 dvds:
Serendipity
Beaches
Titanic
What Women Want
A Few Good Men
West Side Story (1 disc)
Jerry Maguire (1 disc)
Uptown Girls

--------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

2 for $15:
Titanic
Jerry Maguire
Moulin Rouge
While You Were Sleeping
Serpendity
Cocktail
Grease
Chocolat
Beaches
When Harry Met Sally
You've Got Mail
Moonstruck
Wedding Planner
Where the Heart Is
Someone Like You
The Amercian President
Notting Hill
Legally Blonde
Love and Basketball

$19.99:
Haunted Mansion
Big Fish
Master and Commander
Love Actually
Matrix Revolutions

$14.99:
Freaky Friday
Under the Tuscan Sun
Chicago

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Yes, the Great Locomotive Chase is coming out this week. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd I haven't seen any reviews, but it's supposedly anamorphic, which my anchor bay version isn't, so I'll probably pick it up.

The problem with the Disney stuff is knowing what acceptable aspect ratios are. Half the dvds coming out seem to be widescreen and half 1.33, but for all I know 1.33 may be a correct aspect ratio on those. But if I can find anything out I'll let you know.

EDIT: just read the Disney reviews Arnie linked to above. Seems to imply p&s on some titles, but without certainty that they're not open matte or somehow in the 'family' of aspect ratios that Disney created films for. It looks like the only one I want that is questionable is Strongest Man in the World, but if past indications on these films hold true, I may have to watch it myself to see if the framing looks wrong, and then return it if so.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
As always, good job for the Roundup Mike. Good to finally be able to put a face to the prices. :) Again, good meeting you and the Mrs. yesterday.

Just A&C vol. 2 for me this week (pre-ordered).

Dillon*G

Second Unit
Another busy week for me:
-The Bernie Mac Show Season 1
-The Last Samurai
-Samurai Jack Season 1
-Three's Company Season 2
-Triplets of Belleville

I was hopeing on better prices for Bernie Mac,Samurai Jack,and Triplets of Belleville.

Thanks for the round up

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
The Chicago Tribune I get delivered had a normal Circuit City ad, although for awhile I was never getting them and always had to look at it online. Check circuitcity.com and see if they show one for your area.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for the roundup.

Mike, I'm still getting the CC weekly inserts, except on rare occasions. They are usually in the business section rather than the entertainment section with the majority of the inserts, but this is not consistent.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Let's see, busy week, what I would like to get is:
Marx Bros. collection
A&C vol.2
Last Samurai
Samurai Jack
Elephant
Triplets of Belleville

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I might pick up both Samarai Jack and The Last Samarai this week, but that depends if I need to save this money for my big trip in one and a half week time.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up on The Great Locomotive Chase! I had actually never heard of this movie before (don't know how it fell through the mental cracks), but after reading the description on Amazon, I think I'll pick it up. Does anyone have any comparative B&M prices for this title? I'm guessing they'll be similar to the other Disney discs listed above, but I wanted to check.

Great week for DVDs! :D

- Bob

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott_J: It was, indeed, a pleasure to meet you yesterday! It is fun to put a face with a name.

George: I am just stunned by this Great locomotive Chase issue. I must use a half-dozen different DVD Release site lists and I don't think a single one showed this film coming out Tuesday. Unless it is an ultra-stealth release by Disney.

Phil: I've been using the on-line Circuit City ad for the past few weeks because the ad that has been running inside my local Sunday paper doesn't list many DVDs and none of the weekly deals (such as those on season sets, etc). I'm just wondering why they've decided to get away from the glossy Sunday inserts. Maybe I should start a rumor that they're thinking of closing their Albany store! ;)

There ARE a LOT of great DVDs coming out Tuesday. My wife tells me we'll be getting Calendar Girls. She loved it in the theater. I might pick up one or two of the Marx Brothers films down the road. A bunch of unplanned bills at the moment (I HATE when that happens! :angry: ), so I've got to be judicious with the Disney Treasures due soon, Star Wars Trilogy, and a number of other titles which escape me at the moment. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks