Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
325 replies to this topic

#41 of 326 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 10:07 PM

Tape delay guy here.

Decent episode, but one of the weaker ones in a
really terrific season.

I am also bothered by the fact that continuity
is being lost with these episodes as far as Chris
and Adrianne carrying on as if nothing happened
between them last week, or the fact that Tony had
begun to mistrust his compadres.

Best line of the night was the gay reference that
Carmella made to the priest: "At first I thought
he was gay. He reminded me of you."
I was
chuckling at that one.

Other than that, no big whoop-de-doo this week. I
can only hope that they slowly write A.J. out of
this series. I personally don't like his character
or him as a person after his brush with the law over
a year ago. The kid is receiving far too much screen
time these days.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#42 of 326 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 07:33 AM

Tape delay guy here....

Wasn't thrilled with this week's episode. After
what appeared to be a great season with consecutively
great episodes, this was the weakest link.

Yeah, I know, all of you like the fact that there
was some interesting insight into the characters.
But let's face it -- that woman was downright creepy
and I just didn't care anything about her involvement
in the story.

I do think that the woman that played a younger
Oliva did an excellent job. For a minute I swore
I was watching the original actress.

Next weeks episode looks promising...Someone's
got to go!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#43 of 326 OFFLINE   Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 09:17 AM

Wayne .... that's a wild prediction. I can see a dramatic conclusion coming to AJ's aimless life, but not before mid-S6.

For everyone a bit let down this week (myself included) ... we can look forward to next week ... another Buscemi directed ep where apparently Tony and NY Mob hit a crossroad. I know I'm counting the days ....

From TV guide, Sunday, April 18:
Quote:
Ep 5.7: In Camelot
Tony learns answers to questions about his lot in life from his late father's old girlfriend (Polly Bergen); Junior finds a silver lining in the dark cloud of a distant relative's funeral; Christopher has second thoughts about a new friend's habit.

#44 of 326 OFFLINE   Jim J

Jim J

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 06:42 AM

what, no shout out for "Gina"?

(Tony B's Wife? GF?)
Where does anybody know here from?

Jim J

#45 of 326 OFFLINE   Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 11 2004 - 07:47 PM

Anyone else get the impression that after Carm read the book in the bathroom after.....umm....sex with the dean......and after the dean explained the story to her....that it may have foreshadowed that we may see in the near future Carm discover she is pregnant with this guy's baby. Now, that would create an interesting story arc, n'est pas?
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston

#46 of 326 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 11:59 PM

I have'nt read this thread but I expect most will bash this non action episode. I knew when I saw this was directed by Bogdonovich we'd get a character piece and so it was. Advancing both Carmella's Stroyline and Cousin Tony's.

I loved how the teacher had Carm pegged to a tee. How she can manipulate without even knowing she is doing so to get what she wants. He nailed it when he said she was a user. And so is Tony, who also got what he wanted by getting Cousin Tony back in with the Mob. Carm blames this on living with Tony for so many years that people only see his personality. Carm won't admit to having that personality as well.

Steve Buscemi is a hell of an actor. Despite wanting to go striaight he does'nt want to have to answer to anyone, so he beats the hell out of his boss at the time he was about to be subserviant to him.

A good episode that I'm sure the mainstream audience will label Boring.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#47 of 326 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 03:36 AM

Exactly alot of this is very subtle. Chase and his writers don't fall into the trap where character mechinizations has to be spelled out to the viewer. Tony B keeps saying he's a "Civilian" outside the life, yet last week he was going to at the whacking of Chrissy, and he played a big part in that. He's always around "The Guys" alot of his motivation was that he was basically trying to lead a double life, studying and working all day long and then partying and gambling all night. After the all night gambling Paulie says he's going home for 12 hours of sleep, tony has to go to work a menial job. After all that and being Dead tired, and having been given "A Taste" of the life again, he snapped, beat the Hell out of his last connection to the Straight Life, severing that connection, and running back to Tony S.

Tony's half Smile at the end is telling as the vulture got his prey. Did Tony S set Tony B up with that Cash. Very Likely.

I love the episode of the Sopranos that really deal with not only the Mob Related stuff, but how that effects the characters attempt at a normal life. Many just like the Mob stuff and anything that deviates from it they label Boring or Besides the point.

But the point of the Sopranos was never just the Mob. It is a story of A family influenced by its participation in the Mob.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#48 of 326 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 12:24 AM

24 was no innocent this season either, we had to sit thru some pretty stale "Kingpin" melodrama to finally get were we are right now, and while it's decent right now the setup with the Kingpin cartel and dragging Jack's wife's killer out again was the stuff of filler.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#49 of 326 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 12:26 AM

I'll watch last nights ep tonight on Tivo and I'll comment on it later. I've liked the flashback eps they've done in the past.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#50 of 326 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 03:50 PM

The people that cry that season 4 was difficult to watch are looking for something different from this show. If you get the DVD sets for season 1-4. Watch each season 1 disk at a time until you finish the season and then move on, you'll see that the show fires on all cylinders when viewed in this manner. I think we love the Sopranos so much and the show enthralls so much that when that 50 min ticks down you want more, so there's a tendency when viewed weekly to say "That's It?" I want more !.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#51 of 326 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 04:03 PM

When Carmela said that nothing happens in Madame Bovary it immedicately jumped into my head, 'just like this episode'. There are far too many small plots being explored and not all of them to any resolution revelent to the story . I'm still waiting for the Russians to make their revenge but it seems that plot line has disappeared like so many others (disappointingly like a network drama). They need to work on the over-arcing story line, linking all these minor plots to some continuing story with a point. Right now it doesn't seem to.

Again with the russians?

Look why can't anyone see that the Pine barrens Episode Directed by Steve buscemi was what it was, a oft center one shot show that was a bit of Comedy relief in a season that was going to wind down after some pretty serious stuff had happened. It's main point was to start Tony mistrusting Paulie and trusting Chrissy. The Russian was a lark a bit of comic timing that these too tough mob guys could'nt kill someone that obviously had a tougher life than them. The fact that he was able to drive and steal Paulie's Ride after being shot in the head was even more comical and ODD, but why does something have to come of it?

Knowing that the Sopranos is trying to be anything other than conventional TV i Realize that the rules of conventional storytelling goes out the Window. That the Scene may not have a resolution. That Melfi not telling Tony that she was raped and her rapist was left go, was done to further Melfi's Character than to tell a conventional Story where Tony would become the tool of her retribution. A Conventional Series would have her Tell, the Sopranos would ue it as an insight into melfi and her relationship with her Mob Patient and her own italian Heritage.

Conventional TV viewers want the Former and i'm glad the Sopranos delivers the latter.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#52 of 326 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted April 16 2004 - 02:49 PM

Quote:
Christopher sees the downside in enabling an AA friend's new addiction."

I know from personal experience how easily one can switch from one addiction to another. Perhaps Chris's new friend is just getting into HT and Chris goes shopping with him? :b
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#53 of 326 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
Did anyone else notice the hand grenade was missing from the Sopranos home security stash...it was promenantly shown in the Bear episode but was gone last night when Carmilla got the gun to put under her pillow.???

Interesting. And the preview for next week's episode included what appears to be a graveside service.

Prediction:
A.J., the one character who is stupid enough to play with a hand grenade, will blow the stuffin out of his muffin.

Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#54 of 326 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 03:25 PM

I think the abruptness of Tony B flying off the handle at Kim is not unlike how Tony S reacted to Ralphy Cifaretto. And that wasn't the first time we've seen a character make a sudden exit from the show in an unexpected way.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#55 of 326 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted April 18 2004 - 02:04 PM

I liked the flashback too. It was interesting seeing Tony as a shaggy haired teenager. And the actress playing middle-aged Livia seemed to do a pretty good job bringing that character back to life.
Wayne Bundrick

#56 of 326 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 01:38 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the Russians to make their revenge but it seems that plot line has disappeared like so many others (disappointingly like a network drama).

Uh oh, you said it. Terrence Winter is going to kick you in the nuts!
Wayne Bundrick

#57 of 326 OFFLINE   Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 06:11 AM

Good episode. Posted Image It'll be interesting to see how far Tony B. will go to get the "status" and prosperity that he desires.

I thought it was pretty funny when Hugh opened up the Beretta shotgun and they started talking about deer hunting. Sorry, but you don't hunt deer with a shotgun.

#58 of 326 OFFLINE   Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
You do with shotgun slugs or buckshot. After all, where do you think 'buck'shot got it's name? Legal almost everywhere and mandatory in some states that do not allow rifles, such as Massachusetts. So, yes you can and many people do hunt deer with a shotgun.
You're right. I wasn't thinking about that. Guess I'm just used to hunting deer with a rifle.

#59 of 326 OFFLINE   larry mac

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 02:09 PM

My wife and I enjoy the HBO shows The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Carnival and Deadwood. The liberty to include violence, nudity, cursing, any subject matter, etc. combined with the lack of commercials, set these shows far apart from anything on regular TV. Perhaps we just don't have the critical skills of some, but we don't seem to mind if some episodes are a little slow or off the mark a little.

We tried watching the very first 24, but just couldn't abide the (not sure what you call it) editing technique with the boxes in the segues. Seems kind of corny to me. Have never watched Alias or CSI so can't comment.

Of course there's some good stuff out there. I just don't see comparing regular TV shows to anything on HBO, it's like apples and oranges.

#60 of 326 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 11 2004 - 10:39 PM

Great episode!Posted Image

I'm a bit shocked at the hostility leveled towards Carmela in some of these posts. Imo, she's one of the best characters on the show, thanks in no part to Edie Falco's superb acting.

I feel her character is one of the best developed on the show with inner turmoils, demons, confusion, guilt etc.

And I'm with you Chris on Season 4. I've said many times it was as great as any great Sopranos season. And there are many other fans of S4 here too. About the same as S4 "haters".

The inevitable TonyB explosion was a bit of a letdown. It almost would have been more original to leave him legit.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow