-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
325 replies to this topic

#21 of 326 John DeLuca

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 01:29 AM

Ok, so now Carmela hooked up with Tony. I got this strange feeling that Carmela may end up pregnant and not know who the father is. It could realy give the show much more drama also because they show her talking with a Lawyer in the previews but what if she ended up pregnant?

#22 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 01:33 AM

Im with those saying this was a bad episode.
There was very little to like here:

- Paulie's "Remember Pearl Harbor" comment
- Tony S comment to Tony B about a dog gloomer being next door in case they want lunch(funny Chris made the same joke when he walked in)
- Tony confronting AJ - Ajs comment about beating his dad up and Tony dumping his cereal "Now youve got nothing" which led to AJ to go running home to mommy.
- The Korean guys block and punch when Tony B hit him with teh 2x4
- Carms threat to of "you better watch yourself" before leaving the guys house.

But I feel that Tony Bs "turn" came out of nowhere and found the Carmella romance to be uninteresting. I would have preferred focus on the NY Johny Sack/Carmine Jr problems.

"And yes, I'll say it. I didn't need to see Falco's bare ass. The ONLY this that could have been worse would be to see her saggy-assed banana-titties. Blech."

Actually shes in pretty good shape. She usually has to gain weight for the show. Theres a episode in I think the second season where Carm is wearing workout clothes and her stomach is exposed and she nearly had abs there. Shes in great shape I think.

#23 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 04:55 AM

Tino, I happen to really like season 4 and didnt care for last nights episode.

#24 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 02:21 AM

I agree with what was said above about Chris and Adrianna.We may see Chris outburst mentioned again with Adrianna talking to the FBI lady. For Ad to vent a bit.But its not something that will be mentioned by Ad to others "in the family".
Chris has lost his temper with her before and its something she deals with.

That wasnt my problem with this episode.

#25 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 18 2004 - 02:03 PM

Yea that was pretty great.

Also loved Juniors breakdown at the wake,the car accident and Tonys reacion to the dog pic.

Also noticed how Tony was talking to Melfi and said "f*ck her" about his mother and seconds later got choked up about his dog.

Started slow but turned into a good episode.

#26 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 01:23 AM

This episode wasnt about some old lady.

It was deeper than that.It was about the husbands, wifes and mistresses - this has been a running subject of the show since it started which ended Tonys marriage.And as Chuck said - how their extra marital activities affected and in some cases ruined their home lives.

Tony has spent the past 4 seasons talking to Melfi about his affairs and his mother. This episode gave a deeper look into that.

It also made me think about some of Tonys mother resentment of her husband and son.Why she may have behaved the way she did.Remember all of his mothers "poor me" carrying on - "No one cares if I live or die" etc

I didnt like the last 2 episodes and I groaned at first and when I read the write up for the episode I was preparing to be disappointed and I wasnt.I thought last nights was better than the previous 2.

#27 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 02:56 AM

"I thought it could of been better since it seems like Chase is covering old ground with Tony's issues and his Mother"

"I wouldn't be as critical if there were 22 episodes per season but that's not the case."

I dont think we'll see much more on this issue in the series which is why Im not complaining.

Hopefully its closure.

#28 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:48 AM

"The Sopranos uses themes and storylines that develop over a longer period and attempt to provide multi-show/season themes as well as some small closure after each 55 minute segment"

Which is why I loved DS9 and X-Files so much (at first before the show and mythology became lost and so convoluted that it turned into a big nothing)

I think they are getting the less exciting stuff out of the way. As the show draws to a close I expect things to heat up alot.

#29 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 12:49 AM

"The debate over what the Sopranos should be and shouldn't be....."

Once of my all time facvorite comic books is Cerebus. 300 issues,done by the creator and background artist for 25 years.Anyway about 6-10 years into the book people began complaining about the pace slowing down,the story becoming lost,the creators ego,etc,etc.

Dave Sim, the creator responded with something like this "People who cant write and draw comic books shouldnt be telling me how to write and draw my comic book." or something like thatPosted Image

#30 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 06:48 AM

"So does that mean we shouldn't be telling Rick Berman what to do with Star Trek or Lucas with Star Wars?"

I dont think itll matter, they wont listen. Does GL listen to anything we say about SW? If he cared we'd get a OT theatrical version on DVD.

Posted Image@Paul

I dont agree with the comment guys. But I think alot of creative people have this opinion.I attended art school and most of the guys there, didnt take criticism well.

Most will say they have a clear opinion of what their creation is and shoudlnt be told what to do with it.

While Chase doesnt write all the scripts himself they do have have sit around powwows,talk abotu everything and decide what theyre doing with each and every episode - so they have Chases blessing.

#31 of 326 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 01:33 AM

I got a kick out of the pool scene. When Tony S got out of the pool and Artie said Tony was "it",and after Carm was throw in the pool Artie touches her head and says "your it Carm" - how she realized the futility of resisting and said "Marco"

Lots of great stuff with Steve Buscemi this week.Nice to see Little Carmine finally respond to whacking Lorainne.

"Edie Falco's level of physical fitness seems to change a lot"

I noticed her shoulders when she was cooking in the kitchen. As I said about 2 weeks ago - she has to gain weight for the show and is in great shape or a woman her age.

I miss Paulie and Silv.

#32 of 326 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 04:58 AM

There were some abrupt conclusions of several stoylines, but I figure even a "bad" Sopranos episode is better than most dramas on network TV.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#33 of 326 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
Is it just me or is Tony B too interested in Meadow?

Tony B and Meadow had a conversation about his daughter who is about Meadow's age who has left and he has no idea where she is. Apparently his daughter lived with Tony S for a while when she was 11 or 12. I got the feeling he was thinking of her when Tony S was teasing Meadow.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#34 of 326 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 02:35 AM

Quote:
All the while she looks down on Tony for his 'less than legal' activities

Carmela has never faulted Tony for being a mobster. Indeed, when a psychiatrist recommended by Melfi put the issue to her in the strongest possible terms by advising that she leave him because he's in the mob (season 3, "Second Opinion"), Carmela made a conscious decision to stay.

The unjustly reviled season 4 charted the ups and downs of the Soprano marriage after Carmela made that decision. While there were numerous factors, the short answer to what broke up the marriage is Tony's constant cheating. And that has very little to do with Tony's being a mobster.

It's interesting that so many people are focusing on Carmela's manipulation of Bob Wegler, and no one seems to be offended by Wegler's manipulation of Carmela. It's not like he had a gun to his head when he barged in to get AJ's grade changed; he did it for his own agenda, and when he felt guilty about it, he turned around and blamed Carmela. And you have to wonder how many other copies of Madame Bovary he's given to mothers who've come to see him about their kids with academic troubles -- vulnerable, concerned women who are oh-so-grateful for this nice, intellectual man who takes their problems seriously.

My own favorite line is from Wegler: "It's a first edition. (pause) Well, a Modern Library first edition."

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#35 of 326 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 05:46 AM

Quote:
I have to wonder if a butt/boob double was used for Carmela. I think so.

Why do you think so?

M.

#36 of 326 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 05:03 AM

Quote:
anyone notice Adriannas bruises were gone in this episode? fast healer!

The more logical conclusion is that some period of time has passed since the last episode.

I'm baffled by people wanting some sort of follow-up with Christopher and Adrianna. We've had it already, at the conclusion of "Irregular Around the Margins". That dinner with Tony and Carmela was a public statement -- to the world and to each other -- that nothing happened and we're moving on. The story's done. From a dramatic point of view, there's nothing more to say.

Now if The Sopranos really were a soap opera (as participants in these threads often inaccurately claim), it would probably spend weeks picking at the scabs left by the incident with Tony and Adrianna. But it's not soap opera; it's more like a series of short stories, with common characters and themes. Each episode is intended to be a complete, self-contained experience, but they're richer when you experience them together.

M.

#37 of 326 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 03:28 AM

Quote:
By the way, was the actor who played Tony's father in last night's episode the same one who played him in Season 1?

I'd have to check the credits, but I'm pretty sure it was Joseph Siravo, who previously played Tony's father in flashbacks in both seasons 1 ("Down Neck") and 3 ("Fortunate Son"). Probably his most memorable other role is Vinnie Taglialucci in Carlito's Way; he's the vengeful mob boss's son who pursues Carlito through the subway and into Grand Central Station.

A different actress played the young Livia for "In Camelot". Previously she'd been played by Laila Robbins, a fine stage actress whose most recent play (Frozen) is currently moving to Broadway. I didn't recognize the new actress playing the young Livia, but I agree she did a terrific job.

M.

#38 of 326 Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 11:41 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what the song playing at the end while they were in the Bing is? I've heard at least one Aphex Twin song on the Sopranos before and that's what it sounded like but i'm not sure.

That's "Session" by Linkin Park. It's on the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack.
Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#39 of 326 Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 03:51 AM

What was the deal with the gun? Was it a fake? The snooty Italian guy was saying something like "Beretta doesn't export their expensive stuff." or something like that. Then Carm's dad was all downtrodden after that.
Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#40 of 326 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 04:26 PM

Very slow episode with a few spurts. Not one of the better ones of the season, IMHO. But a few interesting twists and turns that they can build on.

My opinion is probably based on less "wise guy" commentary, et. al. than usual. (A couple of good lines like the reference to the dog shop next door to the massage studio, "In case someone gets hungry.")

As they might say on American Idol, "A 'safe' performance this week."

Your mileage may vary.
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow