-

Photo

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
325 replies to this topic

#1 of 326 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 11:46 PM

Starts tonight at 10pm....
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

#2 of 326 OFFLINE   Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 05:51 AM

What's so difficult about writing some mob stuff into the show? I think that's why most people starting watching The Sopranos in the first place. Now, instead of Paulie, Silvio, Feech, Johnny Sac, etc. we get the school counselor, the Korean guy, the old lady and Tim Daly from Wings. In two weeks, we were introduced to four characters that will probably never be seen again. What's the point? It seems like the writers are stretching to fill time because they have run out of ideas and that's sad to see because in the past the show never suffered from that problem. Maybe they should bring in some new blood.

I don't see it that way at all. Those "new characters", even if temporary, were VERY important to the development of Carmela's character (school counselor: she's now had her heart broken, experienced some romance as a "single woman", and she feels she'll always be "tainted" by being Tony's ex), Tony B's character (the Korean: we now know Tony B. is back in the mob instead of going straight), Tony S. (the old lady reminded him how his dad "used" him as an alibi to his mom - and Tony might, just might see the consequences of his actions with his family through these flashbacks, as well as understand better his mother's bitterness), and Christopher (Tim Daly's role showed Christopher completely compartmentalizing his life - friend to a fellow addict one minute, loan shark mobster the next when he owed him money - and it brought back Christopher's time in rehab and his relapse - which some people wanted to see ongoing, I think)
My DVD Collection
My CD Collection

#3 of 326 OFFLINE   Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 04:10 AM

Some "friend" the snooty prick PhD-doctor who had audiences with 4 popes turned out to be to Carmella's dad. (Nothing like raining on the guy's 75th BD parade by denigrating the present Tony gave him - guess he's got to burst others' balloons in order to make himself higher/more important.)

This was another good episode that sets up the NJ-NY war further, with Tony B in the middle (largely b/c of his resentment of all that Tony S has that he doesn't).

Also, this episode had more Meadow, less AJ - which is certainly a good thing, too. Posted Image
My DVD Collection
My CD Collection

#4 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 02:58 PM

Excellent episode. I think it's pretty well assured Tony B didn't just "stumble" onto that money..
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#5 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 05:02 PM

One other comment:

The "It's not TV, it's H2O" bit at the beginnning was damn funny. Caught me off guard.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#6 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 05:55 PM

Quote:
But she has no problems using Tony's 'less than reputable' reputation when it suits her. "You'd better watch your back!"

*laugh* as someone who finds Season4 to be probably the best of the bunch so far (and, assuming by my thoughts elsewhere I may be in the minority Posted Image This note caught me thinking about an ep from S4..

In the Columbus ep, the minister invited a speaker to the church who made a crack about "wise guys" and so on, Carm was incredibly offended and said "what are you going to do" when her friends went back and gave the minister a piece of their mind.

Yeah, Carm wants it both ways. She has to remind everyone what she does for them (like the church) but don't bring up how she got it to give it to them in the first place!
My Current DVD-Profiler

#7 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 18 2004 - 07:16 PM

I thought this was a great episode. Tony is realizing more and more that he misses/needs Carm. When he reached out to the woman by offering her a cut of the track, he was willing to have a sit down with the NY family to get his "fair share" to give to her... and the way that turned out.. Tony may have some penance over that one.

Good to see them go back to the Christopher on drugs bit, and why he quit and concerns of him going back.. after the last episode, lots of people wondered if he had fallen off the wagon, this episode followed through on that pretty well.. he's having troubles, but maybe he can control them for now.

I enjoyed it a good deal Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#8 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 12:43 AM

*laugh* seriously, for all of those who bag on the show "terrible" who don't like the family eps (which I tend to prefer) fine.. I seriously doubt the show needs "staunch defenders" there are lots of us who really enjoy it as is Posted Image I definitely won't be getting up and turning the channel to watch any of the network crap on TV Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#9 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 05:59 AM

Quote:

Just so I can be clear on this, are you saying 24, Alias, and CSI are "crap" because they're on network TV?

Well, neither 24 or CSI competes with Sopranos on Sundays. As far as that goes, I really loved the first season of 24. The last two have been (IMHO) terrible. You talk about jumping the shark.. Alias was a show I never bought into, though I know many love it.

There are plenty of good network programs as well, but I think it's been a long time since I've seen programming as well written or thought out as "Sopranos" and "Six Feet Under"

There was a time when I felt ER really hit it's stride, and then it became "disaster of the week"; Law & Order, a continual favorite of mine, became overly repetitive with "ripped from the headlines" (which means: we lost creative thought, picked up a newspaper and copied with slight changes)

Are there shows on regular TV that I've found sensational? Yep. But right now, if you were to ask me what is "must watch" on regular TV.. with all the reality programming going on.. uh.. there isn't much.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#10 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 09:27 AM

Brent-

Seriously, if you have decided the show is terrible/not for you, then obviously you don't need to post in the threads for it.

I seldom find myself posting in threads for say.. Big Brother, but I'm not going to wander into that thread just to trash it Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#11 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 02:34 PM

Quote:
You don't understand where I'm coming from. I used to be the biggest Sopranos fan on the planet and I've kept holding out hope that the show will get back to the brilliance it once displayed. However, I think it has gone completely downhill in the past two seasons and now the show is nowhere near as good as other TV dramas like 24, Alias, CSI, etc. If I wanted to see a show that only focused on family and didn't pay any attention to the mob, I'd watch 7th Heaven. It's ridiculous how characters like Silvio and Paulie have been reduced to wallpaper, other characters with great potential like Johnny Sac and Billy Batts(the dude from GoodFellas) don't get any screen time and the best character they've introduced in years(Feech) gets written out of the show after 4 episodes. Meanwhile, they keep introducing characters that add nothing to the show--the Korean guy and the school teacher last week, the old lady and the guy from Wings this week. What's next, a guest appearance from Cliff Claven next week? I had very high hopes for this season, but it's been a complete letdown so far and I don't think David Chase should even bother with a sixth season if this is the best he can do.

Wow. I think you're missing the premise of the show. The first season was slower then this season, by a good leap, with many more episodes focused on panic attacks, birds, and getting mom to leave her home Posted Image

The whole premise of the show from it's get go was "if one family doesn't get you, the other one will.." with the goal being that his family (personal) is as treacherous as the family (mob).. and the show has done a great job conveying that.

Anyway, this season has been absolutely on a roll, and I thought this weeks episode was very good. Brought back that Christopher is teetering off the bandwagon, and the need of Tony to villify his mother. Which were central concepts of the first season Posted Image

Eh, no show can suit everyone Posted Image

But one thing can suit you: the HD broadcast on this is incredible Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#12 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 02:58 AM

One other thing, though.. I don't see how we can get to "Silvio & Paulie are wallpaper" we've had some eps that virtually revolved around them last season (Paulie talking to Johny Sack) and this season (Paulie getting back for the lawnmower incident) as well as Paulie & Christopher in NJ.

Not every episode can revolve around a few characters.. except for Tony Posted Image I like the fact that each episode is something different and makes good use of the ensemble. It was good to see Hesch this week as well Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#13 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 04:36 PM

Quote:
Here I am thinking this is the episode that helps clinch Tony and Carm getting back together, but then the preview shows them at each others throats in the divorce meeting.

Eh.. that's why I'm thinking the next meeting will be so bitter.. "I was vulnerable and you took advantage of me, and you left without saying anything.." good way to make her feel used.

I really liked the party bit, because it put it to Carmella that she has the same family issues that Tony has.. her mother resents their heritage and looks down on her choice of husband & kids.. the spiel on Meadow was excellent.

The incident regarding Tony B doing a job for NY crew, specifically taking sides -AGAINST- Johnny Sack by knocking out one of his bagmen.. damn. Tony S. has to be fearful of how that can play out, because it's all negative against him..
My Current DVD-Profiler

#14 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 02:49 AM

Yeah, same here.. I thought it was potential hires.. and potential one-nighter material.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#15 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 03:59 AM

Yeah, that was a terrible thing.. basically, the guy told Carm's dad that this was a "cheap" model because the "good stuff" never left Italy.

Which instantly hit what I thought when Carm said.. the guy is an asshole Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#16 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 05:31 AM

Yeah, the way Tony had to shrug off that she couldn't get in because of her knees.. hell, she couldn't get in because the car would freaking scrape the ground Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#17 of 326 OFFLINE   Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 08:03 AM

Can someone tell me if Tony B actually made the correct hit?
I thought he was supposed to take out some woman. That girl in the car (who had the name Heather I think) seemed like some random girl who was with the guy he shot. Didn't Frankie Vallie say "a woman'?

#18 of 326 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 10:16 PM

Quote:
AJ...what a waste of air.

This has been the case for the entire series. The writers just don't know what to do with him. When he moved in with Tony, I thought for sure something was finally going to happen and maybe slowly get in to Tony's world but NOPE, he's back with Carmella again after two episodes.

Jeff

#19 of 326 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 12:39 AM

To me, this is the worst Sopranos episode I've ever seen. The writing was terrible with regards to Tony B making his "transition" back to the mob; it just wasn't believable. I'm hoping that later in the season we'll find out that the money he found was a setup to help rope him back in. If that's what was intended, then I'll at least give this a 3 out of 10. I think a lot of people here are being kind in praising this episode, IMO.

Jeff

#20 of 326 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 12:58 PM

I haven't seen this mentioned yet and this is another aspect of the episode I hated...The fact that Christopher and Adriana were together like nothing happened last week. I was really looking forward to seeing how Christopher was going to handle things with her, since he really beat her up, but nope. I know the time frame is different with their lives than with the weekly schedule but that was ridiculous. It would have been better not to have them in it and on some occasions it almost seems like one writer doesn't know what the other writer is doing on the show.

Quote:
This episode is definitely one of those "love it" or "hate it" ones.

Did anyone here really "love" this episode?

Jeff

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow