What's new

Has HD slowed your DVD buying?? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
I assume that many of you have 16x9 sets, and also hi-def. Has this soured you somewhat on the once great 'reference' discs? Those dvd's that used to make my jaw drop suddenly don't seem so spectacular when I see a very average movie like "Empire Records" in HD look worlds better than the finest DVD presentation. I still buy the occasional disc such as MGM's fine Pink Panther set etc, but the purchases have definitely slowed!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
HDTV has afflicted my DVD buying habits and I don't even own a HDTV yet! I am aware however that DVD's replacement is on its way and don't care to keep-up my stockpile of "mere"DVD-quality disks (Anyone here have a 100+ LD collection back in the day?).

I honetly dont care if the future is Blu*Ray, HD-DVD, HDWM9, or whatever, as soon as I can buy my favorite movies on a shiny optical disk I'm switching over.

When the following films are released, or in the "pipeline" for any HD-format I'll buy into it: the LOTR trilogy, The Matrix trilogy, the StarWars sextet, the Indiana Jones trilogy, and Bram Stoker's Dracula. as soon as all these titles are anounced I'm buying a player. And a projector..hopefully 1920x1080 digital projectors will cost less than $5000 by then.:)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
In four-and-a-half years of DVD buying, I only own about 180 or so DVDs. So, buying DVDs isn't a big deal to me since I don't buy that many.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Only to the extent that I will watch a handful of HD programs on a regular basis rather than pop in a DVD. Prior to getting HD I almost completely stopped watching primetime tv altogether.

For example, last night I watched CSI and ER in HD, rather than pop in a dvd movie. This hasn't slowed my dvd purchase habit at all.

I still buy new dvd releases of films I really want to see or have in my collection rather than wait months for them to show up on HBO or Showtime in HD, and have yet to purchase an HD PPV movie.

I've also found that in many cases a well mastered dvd in 480p looks quite close to the HD presentation on HBO or Showtime HD, there isn't always a huge difference in pq. In the case of some older films or dvds with mediocre transfers the HD version can be stunningly better but in many instances this isn't the case.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
HD and Netflix definetelly ..

I bought a whopping 1 DVD since November ... Kill Bill
Been doing serious renting from Netflix.

What is the point of buying when I can rent any movie anytime I want to watch it ?!?!?! :D

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
But for me, there is something of value to "owning" the movie. Owning it is comforting. :D Any, knowing you can watch it at any given time is nice.

StephenA

Screenwriter
The "newness" of getting into the hobby wore off, and that's what slowed down my buying down. Nothing else. It doesn't seem so exciting to go out and get all kinds of DVDS and such as it did when I first started. I still wait for certain titles, but I'm not scrambling to get all kinds of DVDs anymore.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Definetly my buying habits are WAY down.

Netflix is the major reason, and also like a previous poster the addiction has kinda worn off.

*But* the buying habits before were for ANY DAMN movie. Now with renting I can weed the crap and I am only looking into quality, and saving for Box Sets, Limited Edition and stuff like that.

So in a way, bulk wise it has slowed but the pocket is still very light.

Raymond

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I dunno, really.

A lot of classics, however, are basically primed for HD. The 2K restorations of Metropolis, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Sunset Blvd., Roman Holiday, Modern Times, Singin' in the Rain, Gone with the Wind, etc could be utilized without any new transferring.

Since these look great at normal NTSC res, imagine what the HDTV versions would look like...

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
HD hasn't slowed my purchasing..... paying 5k for a wedding sure put a dent in it though. There are fewer and fewer movies which I like anymore and it has to be really good before I'll buy. My catalogue contains about 220 movies so switching to HD shouldn't be too difficult.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
well...lets see. 3 years ago I was buying around 5 a week. now I buy 10+ a week...sometimes not including imports. I have no fear of my library becoming worthless just because of HD-DVD. how long would it take for some of my titles to reach the next format? too long and some...maybe not at all. no...my passion has only increased.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
HD will only slow my DVD collecting once it's on an optical format. I like DVHS as much as the next guy, but it's not a proper replacement for my discs.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
A part of yes.

That, Netflix, and seeing DVD's available for half the price a month after I buy them.

So, now I dont buy just anything. Only necessities for me. This way even if prices end up $2 like VHS eventually, I wont have to feel sick to my stomach.

I sold my VHS collection as soon as DVD started to catch on. I actually did ok. Glad I did. Wouldnt even get 1/20th now.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Well, it makes me not go back and watch them after seeing the same movie in HD. Take SPIDERMAN, for example. Looked so good in HD that I can't even watch the DVD anymore!

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
No..not at all.. if anything my buying addiction for DVD's has gotten worse! 12 in the past week or so. I eagerly awai the HD-DVD format, but am pretty disgusted there will be two different formats. So. dvds for me for quite some time.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Well, not wanting to be in the position of having a bunch of movies in low-quality DVD, I have only purchased TV shows on DVD. My reasoning that the ones that are mastered from videotape or 16mm film will not look significantly better in HDVD.

That said, I see I have five seasons of friends, which, if I'm not mistaken, were filmed on 35mm, so I realize that my TV only mantra may have clouded my judgement a few times.

Thanks for reminding me to only buy inferior-sourced products on low-quality DVD.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I have an addiction that must be fed. But I do think of HD whenever I make a purchase. Maybe it will start to slow my purchases soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks