-

Photo
- - - - -

Dallas: Complete First Season :)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

#1 of 146 Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 06:36 AM

YEE HAW!!!

Both the miniseries and the first complete season will be released on DVD! I'm so excited I could kersplotz...

#2 of 146 Mark Lx

Mark Lx

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 07:30 AM

I'll get this for sure. The mini is actually some of the best of Dallas. More of a family drama, less of a soap (I mean about a family, not for the family, especially since Ray sleeps with 17 year old half-neice Lucy in the very first episode). The first full season I don't remember much of, so it'll be fun to see again. Hope it's a bargain set (ie. priced like Waltons or Little House).

#3 of 146 Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 10:36 AM

I'm wondeinrg how they would package this!

#4 of 146 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 11:23 AM

wow- with the mini-series that makes 29 eps.
that's quite a big set -not that i'm complaining Posted Image

never realized before that those first 5 eps were considered a 'mini-series'.

looking forward to this quite a bit.
hope its early Aug, as i'll still have some free time to dip into it.

#5 of 146 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 11:23 AM

Woo hoo indeed!

Glad they're not just putting out a 5-episode set (the mini-series only from April 1978).

I kind of figured we'd get the "Mini" series, plus the 24-ep. complete first year together.

Apparently some nice special features to be included by Warner Brothers, too. And based on the fine TV-on-DVD sets that WB has been putting out recently, I have a feeling this "Dallas #1" set will be a goodie. Posted Image

http://www.ultimatedallas.com/dvd/

http://soapchat.net/....5710305463&p=1

#6 of 146 Brandon_D

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 12:31 PM

Maybe if Dallas is a success on DVD, this will give the studios the idea to put Dynasty, Knots Landing ,Falcon Crest and The Colbys on DVD!!

#7 of 146 Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 12:45 PM

I would love to have Dynasty on DVD as well.

#8 of 146 Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 01:53 PM

I'll buy this just for Tina Louise!Posted Image

She played J.R.'s secretary, Julie Grey, with whom he was having an affair, for 5 or 6 episodes.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#9 of 146 Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 02:32 PM

I'm still wondering how are they going to package this? I mean... really... can someone help and explain how they're going to package a miniseries with a first season.

#10 of 146 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 03:06 PM

Probably on disc 1 Posted Image

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#11 of 146 Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 03:32 PM

Oh. See, I thought the miniseries was something huge... like 2 hours each episode... and then they would have their first season... but what are they going to call it? Mini Series and The Complete First Season?

#12 of 146 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 05:38 PM

The "Mini" Series (as some call it) was just a 5-episode "introduction" (kinda) to the Ewing clan, running for five Sundays, all in April of 1978. These were regular 1-hr. eps.; not 2-hr. shows.

The way I understand it (some @ the UltimateDallas site have differing opinions though) -- The "mini" series of five shows was an attempt to "sell" CBS on committing the story to a full-time regular series. Which it, in fact, did.

But, if it had been "cancelled" after just the five shows, well, so be it. There would still have been a "mini" set of shows with some cohesion to them. Although, IIRC, the "cliffhanger" for the Mini-Series *did* seem to suggest to the audience that "We'll be back". But this first "cliffhanger" wasn't a real BIGGIE though. No one's life hung in the balance anyway.

Also, you'll notice when you get the DVDs, that the sets and main house are entirely different from "Season 1" (1978-1979 year). Lorimar didn't go to the expense of building "permanent" sets until the series was picked up by CBS.

And snow in Dallas County?? Does it snow much there? Plus a hurricane also during the first 5 shows! We see several inches of the white stuff during the mini-series episodes, with J.R. and company bundled up in heavy winter coats. This seemed odd to me, because we never see a cold-weather scene the rest of the show's 14 years (that I can recall). Just the opposite usually, with everybody lounging around the pool in bikinis and sipping cold beverages. Posted Image

#13 of 146 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 30 2004 - 05:59 PM

We usually get about one snow a year, and it sticks around a couple of days, if that. We got something like three inches early this year--and that is a lot for us--and it was gone by the end of the day. It had turned to rain, and that was all she wrote.

There have been exceptions, when we've had fairly severe ice storms, but I have lived in Dallas County for 31 years and have never experienced a hurricane here. We do get tornadoes, of course.

It is not, however, a tropical paradise with nothing but balmy days all year round. It gets cold, and it gets very hot. Again, it probably isn't cold by Northeast US standards, but it gets down to the teens.

#14 of 146 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the weather data Greg. Posted Image

I kind of doubted the "Hurricane in Dallas" storyline. But you'll see it in Ep. #4 ("Winds Of Vengeance").

#15 of 146 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 06:05 PM

Greg ...

Ever been to the "6th Floor Museum" in Dealey Plaza? I've been wanting to visit Dealey for quite a while.

During each Dallas "outdoors" scene, I always looked to see if they might be in or near Dealey Plaza (where President Kennedy was killed). But, I later learned, that no scenes were ever filmed in Dealey Plaza during the show's 14-year run. Which, actually, kind of surprised me a little. Because that Plaza seemed to me to be an ideal location for Cliff Barnes and Pam to meet outside for lunch some time. It's an open park-like area, with some benches, etc.

#16 of 146 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 30 2004 - 06:15 PM

No, I never have done that. I need to. "What kind of an asshole lives in Seattle and doesn't know how to swim?" Posted Image

I have been to Southfork, though. Never inside--I don't even know if they allow that--but the lawn area. It's not terribly far from where I am.

http://www.southfork.com/

#17 of 146 Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 06:49 PM

the more talk, the more I get excitedabout it's release... wait a minute... they should make a reunion movie where Dallas and Dynasty cross into each other's worlds and J.R. and Alexis Colby Carrington Dexter Rowan (did I get her name right?) create a perverse business deal. And in the final moments they kill each other because they're too competetive; too conniving; too deceptive; too devious; too EVIL! It would be a perfect curtain call for each show.

Just a thought.

#18 of 146 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 06:53 PM

Quote:
"What kind of an asshole lives in Seattle and doesn't know how to swim?"
From "WarGames" (1983). Spoken by Ally Sheedy. Right? Posted Image

Or, you could have used the "Jaws" quotes to illustrate your point. ....

Hooper -- "What kind of a man lives on an island and never goes near the water?"
Brody -- "It's only an island if you look at it from the water." Posted Image

Quote:
I have been to Southfork, though. Never inside--I don't even know if they allow that--but the lawn area. It's not terribly far from where I am.
Braddock, right?

#19 of 146 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 30 2004 - 07:53 PM

Quote:
Braddock, right?

Are you asking if that's the name of the city? It's Parker. I'm not familiar with a Braddock, but I know I usually think of Allen as the location of Southfork. Allen's actually 6 miles away.

#20 of 146 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 09:18 PM

Quote:
Are you asking if that's the name of the city? It's Parker. I'm not familiar with a Braddock, ...
OK.
I thought the ranch was in "Braddock" or "Braddock County". At least they say that on the show.

Were they just making up the name "Braddock" on the series?

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow