Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly CE (Highly Recommended!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
120 replies to this topic

#21 of 121 OFFLINE   JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 11:38 AM

I grew up on CLint Eastwood films, and this is among my favorite. Having watched chopped up versions on TV and never seeing in in its complete form in widescreen, it will be like revisiting it all over again when I pick it up.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#22 of 121 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 12:48 PM

Great review. Sounds like an interesting DVD to buy sometime.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#23 of 121 OFFLINE   Steve K.H.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 12:59 PM

Wow!

('nuf said)

Bluecruzer...
"The new phone books are here!!!..."

#24 of 121 OFFLINE   Sean Scott

Sean Scott

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 07:11 PM

I've been waiting for this set since it got announced! I won't be buying it on May 18th because of the Walt Disney Treasures! hehe but I will be putting it on Layaway at Wal-mart if I find it below $19.99 if not I will buy it eventually Posted Image

#25 of 121 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 07:36 PM

Does anyone know if this DVD CE version is the same extended version that was shown on AMC? Because from what I recall of that version the added scenes with Eli Wallach(such as the scene in the cave when his friends drop down and join him) didn't sound that bad at all dialogue-wise.

I have the old version of the DVD but I'm still torn as to whether I'll double-dip. I definitely would like to hear Ennio's score in 5.1 though(or at least stereo)!

Btw Jason:
Quote:
As an aside, since it was an Italian production, dialogue for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly was not re-recorded in the studio, not live on the set, so lip-synchronization is not always exact.

I think you meant to say that it was recorded in the studio, correct? Posted Image

#26 of 121 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 12:33 AM

Could someone please explain which audio track is the original? I suppose it is the Italian, but do all the actors speak Italian on that track, I mean Clint can´t speak Italian, can he? Or is the Italian track dubbed to Italian from English or is the English 5.1 track dubbed to English from Italian? Is the English, if it´s dubbed, a good dubbing or does or does the lipsync look disturbing?

I normally hate dubbed films, but I rather want the 5.1 dub instead of the mono. The thing is that the R2UK edition doesn´t have the Italian mono track. So is it necessary to buy the R1 edition for the correct(?) audio track or can I settle for the English 5.1? Thank you!

#27 of 121 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 12:55 AM

Im a bit nervous about the new scenes added back with new dubbing Posted Image

This is one of my favorites as well, and Ill gladly double dip for the updated transfer and better sound.

I think the other 2 are being worked on as well.

#28 of 121 OFFLINE   Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 01:00 AM

I suppose it is the Italian, but do all the actors speak Italian on that track, I mean Clint can´t speak Italian, can he? Or is the Italian track dubbed to Italian from English or is the English 5.1 track dubbed to English from Italian? Is the English, if it´s dubbed, a good dubbing or does or does the lipsync look disturbing?

Peter, I believe because Leone used a mixture of American actors and Italian actors that everyone spoke their native tongue and the audio track was dubbed afterwards in English. I think I remember reading this somewhere but I'll let another who is more of an expert chime in.
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#29 of 121 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 01:01 AM

Quote:
Could someone please explain which audio track is the original? I suppose it is the Italian, but do all the actors speak Italian on that track, I mean Clint can´t speak Italian, can he? Or is the Italian track dubbed to Italian from English or is the English 5.1 track dubbed to English from Italian? Is the English, if it´s dubbed, a good dubbing or does or does the lipsync look disturbing?
In Italian films of this era, most actors simply spoke their own native language since the films were all post-synchronized, so there's no easy answer to which is the "original" language.

In the case of GBU, Eastwood, Wallach, and Van Cleef are speaking English and dubbed their own dialogue for the English version. The Italian-language version is the one that Leone directly supervised, but the voices of the three main charactes are dubbed into Italian by other actors. Go here for some details on GBU's audio: http://www.dvdtalk.c...t/s1139gbu.html
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#30 of 121 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 01:20 AM

Quote:
In the case of GBU, Eastwood, Wallach, and Van Cleef are speaking English and dubbed their own dialogue for the English version.

But in that case the English dub should be the best. The English speaking actors speak English and the Italian actors speak Italian. In the Italian version all the actors speak Italian, in other words, the Enlish speaking actors are dubbed to Italian and the Italian speaking actors speak Italian. Correct? Or does all actors speak English, including the Italian speaking actors, in the English version?

#31 of 121 OFFLINE   Lawrence X

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 01:34 AM

Just had a friend bring over a copy from BlockBuster a couple nights ago that we all watched. The picture quality was better than I remembered from the copy I owned (has there ever been more than 1 version of the film released on DVD?).

It was a great film as I'd remembered, but waaay too long. They could have cut out most of the civil war stuff for my money to make a shorter, more enjoyable and endurable film.

Adding in another 20 minutes would be a killer for me.

#32 of 121 OFFLINE   Jason Perez

Jason Perez

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 02:00 AM

Gary (post #25):

Thanks!

I changed that sentence around so it would read better, and forgot to get rid of the "not". Yes, I did mean recorded in the studio... I will edit my review to clarify this.

Regards,

Jason
Padawan Learner in the Mystical Art of Home Theater!

Display Tweaked to Perfection by Calibrator Extraordinaire Gregg Loewen!

#33 of 121 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 03:41 AM

Quote:
The English speaking actors speak English and the Italian actors speak Italian.

Yes, the actors who spoke Italian (the supporting cast) are dubbed into English.

Quote:
In the Italian version all the actors speak Italian, in other words, the Enlish speaking actors are dubbed to Italian and the Italian speaking actors speak Italian. Correct? Or does all actors speak English, including the Italian speaking actors, in the English version?
In the English language version, all of the voices coming from the screen are in English, with the three lead parts actually speaking English on the set and doing their own dubbing (remember, the whole film is dubbed no matter what language - they didn't record sound on the shooting sets). Other actors are probably speaking their native languages (some may have been speaking in phonetic English to ease dubbing later), but their voices are dubbed into English.

Quote:
But in that case the English dub should be the best.
Yes, the English dub is the best version.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#34 of 121 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 04:38 AM

Thank you! I just bought the R2UK digipack edition without the Italian mono track.

#35 of 121 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the review!
I'm not a big western fan, but this is an excellent movie!
Looking forward to this release.

#36 of 121 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 09:43 AM

I am eagerly awaiting with anticipation to watch this next week

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#37 of 121 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 02:54 PM

Quote:
It was a great film as I'd remembered, but waaay too long.

Sorry, I'd have to disagree. I first watched this on VHS in the middle of the night (in college), about 2 to 5 am. Not once did I nod off, it was that riveting.

(The dorm was screening this the following evening, but since I was going to be out, I borrowed the tape and watched it myself; I had to watch it that very night since apparently the tape was being returned right after the screening the next evening.)

#38 of 121 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 03:25 PM

Yeah I also disagree that this movie is too long. For me it's the Lawrence of Arabia or LOTR of Westerns, if that makes any sense. In other words I think the length is perfect because it's an epic Western. I like GBU more than Leone's Once Upon A Time in the West because the latter seems to crawl, even though I do understand the particular, languid style Leone used for Once Upon a time... The faces spoke more than the dialogue. But GBU too long? Nah, it's just right. Once you get into it you're hooked.

For me Good, Bad and the Ugly is simply the best Western movie ever. It's iconic, legendary, simple, arcane, brutal, definitely humorous(which I think is one of its strongest qualities) and classic.

#39 of 121 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 09:51 PM

Quote:
Mickey Knox's story of the dubbing is the first time that aspect of these pictures has been described on camera by someone who actually did the work. The actors describe performing on a noisy set, and then Knox follows with his own memories of inventing good English dubbing dialogue to replace the Italian speaking actors. He had to guess at Eastwood's often ad-libbed lines by endlessly studying the film on a moviola - if there were guide tracks from the set, they'd been tossed.

Then, after Knox had written a script to fit Eastwood's mouth movements, Eastwood showed up at the dubbing studio with his own exact notes of what he really said in each take. Realizing during filming that nobody was doing anything about the problem, Clint had diligently acted as his own script supervisor! With that serious of an attitude, it's no wonder Eastwood became a director.

also taken from the dvdtalk review, and I guess Eastwood learned from the best to become a director in his own right

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#40 of 121 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted May 07 2004 - 06:05 AM

Great review. Didn't really need the extra "push" to buy this (I was going to buy it on release date anyway) but it's always good to read that a studio didn't screw up one of my most beloved films. Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital HD Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow