Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help with Dick Van Dyke episode, please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 05:50 PM

Now that Dick Van Dyke season sets are available, I'd like to identify which season has a particular episode. I remember watching the DVD Show one evening (I was a child, and can't remember what year). My sister and I were just rolling on the floor laughing.

I can't even remember the plot of the episode, but the distinctive thing was that they were all singing. I distinctly remember the tune and words. I can't do much to convey the tune here, but the words were... "Alan Bra-a-dy, Alan Bra-a-dy, Alan Brady, Alan Brady, etc." Posted Image Now the thing was the characters started substituting their own names in place of "Alan Brady".

I don't remember why they were singing, except I think they were actually appearing on the "Alan Brady Show" for that "performance". I think they "rehearsed" the song properly, but only started substituting their names during the "show".

Anyway, are there enough clues here to identify the season and episode?

Thank you.

DG
"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 06:01 PM

Season 3, "The Alan Brady Show Presents." The show's only Christmas oriented episode.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 06:03 PM

I will do my best impression of David VP and tell you that the episode you are referring to is "The Alan Brady Show Presents" which according to the official dvdOnDvd.com website was episode number 76 and can be found in the third season of the show.

I'm sure that David VP could add some more interesting bits of information/trivia about the episode...I mean I'm not able to fill his DVD knowledge shoes, but I've given you the most basic that you need to know.

On another note, I'd just like to say that this is personally one of my favorite episodes of the series. I'm glad you could remember the words they were singing because had you said "The only thing I remember about the episode is that they sing," well that would widen the field considerably.

Edit: While I was writing up this post, I posted it and noticed I had been beaten to the punch, but was surprised that it wasn't David VP himself that beat me to it.

Na, just kidding around with you David, your the man when it comes to the Van Dyke info...I've learned about the suppliments of these sets before I've seen them on TvShowsOnDVD.com in a lot of cases.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 06:04 PM

Wow.

I am astounded.

And in only about 10 minutes.

Thank you.

DG

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,866 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 29 2004 - 06:31 PM

Ya, this thread has David VP written all over it. Since he missed out on this fun, we need to think of a Leave It to Beaver, Mary Tyler Moore or Andy Griffith question to try to stump him with. Posted Image

And, Dave, this is definitely kind-spirited humor. We just know your TV passions fairly well (I think).

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 06:57 PM

While this is actually the only Christmas themed episode don't forget the episode with the famous Christmas toy that says ho ho uhny uftz!

Ok, a TAGS question for David, which season has the one where Aunt B makes her pickles...and they have that whole pickle switch. One of my favorite episodes.

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 09:19 PM

Since the Allen Bra-a-dy mystery has been solved, I have one that may be a bit tougher.

I recall seeing a Dick Van Dyke episode when I was very young, and I have not seen it since. The details are sketchy, but here's what I remember: the gang has to break into Allen's office to retrieve a script for some reason. Rob gets caught "between the walls" as he's trying to gain access to the office through some closet or storage area - I remember a small sliding door through which you can see his face.

Because I've seen so many episodes so many times, I'm starting to wonder if I've imagined this episode over all these years (very possible). It's been literally decades that I've been waiting to see this one again. Once the DVDs were announced, I thought, "HA! Now I'll see the Rob-in-the-wall episode!" I've watched the first three seasons and, so far, not there (I had always assumed this was on an earlier season). I've already picked up season 4 but have not viewed any of it yet.

Or...maybe I'm just crazy.

Jon

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,866 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 29 2004 - 09:43 PM

Posted Image Maybe, but. . . .

Here's a description of a season 5 episode:

Quote:
152 Obnoxious, Offensive, Egomaniac, Etc. First Aired: April 13, 1966
Writers: Carl Kleinschmitt, Dale McRaven
Director: Jerry Paris
Guest Stars: Forrest Lewis, Carl Reiner

Rob, Buddy, and Sally try to retrieve a script that contains less-than-flattering descriptions of their arrogant boss before he has a chance to see it.

Could be it. If it is . . . sorry, David. Foiled again! Posted Image

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 12:51 AM

That's the right episode, Greg.

The wall largely housed Alan's hide-away bar, so there were bottles and glasses everywhere. And while Rob's stuck in the wall, Laura finds the key to the locked office that he was trying to break into. Very funny.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,571 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 03:41 AM

Casey,

The TAGS episode in question, called appropriately enough "THE PICKLE STORY", is from season 2. It's episode #43, if anyone is counting.

Gary "David's tastes are the same as mine - Dick Van Dyke Show, TAGS, Leave it to Beaver, etc..." O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
The TAGS episode in question, called appropriately enough "THE PICKLE STORY", is from season 2. It's episode #43, if anyone is counting.

Thanks Gary, I love that episode.

11 posts, and he's still not popped in here yet...must be some record for a thread with Dick Van Dyke in the title...just wait til he sees all these questions he's missed out answering.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 09:04 AM

"David's tastes are the same as mine - Dick Van Dyke Show, TAGS, Leave it to Beaver, etc..."

Similar to me. I've sort of wondered why these aren't available on DVD.

DG

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,866 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 30 2004 - 09:40 AM

TAGS is coming, David (Grove)! No firm release date, but TVShows says it may be seen before the end of the year.

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 09:45 AM

Yes, Tags is coming and I am one of the many that are very happy about it.

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 10:39 AM

My gosh!
I'm ashamed of myself for not getting here sooner!
I've been foiled on multiple "Dave's Favorites" inquiries.

Oh, well. Glad there are others who enjoy these "Classics" too. Posted Image

"The Pickle" inquiry has been answered....and Eric beat me by a mile on "Alan Brady Show Presents" (which is an episode, BTW, I'm deliberately not watching until December 24, 2004...so that the "Christmas" theme will hit home at the correct time of year Posted Image).

But, even though I haven't watched that Christmas show in quite a while, I can recall most of it. Including the funny bit about "Conductor" Rob systematically kicking out the members of the chorus one-by-one.

Buddy's getting booted is the funniest, when he louses Rob up with......

"Al-an Braa-dy, Al-an Braa-dy, Al-an Braa-dy.....Buddy Sorrell!" Posted Image

Interesting note re. that Christmas show ..... I've noticed (I think on jump-the-shark's site it was) how MANY people just DESPISE this fine episode. They hate it all, but especially Ritchie's rendition of "Little Drummer Boy" during the show. While it's true, Larry Mathews is not exactly Jack Jones or Bing Crosby, I think it's kinda charming anyhow. I don't really know WHY the fans would expect little Ritchie to belt out ANY song like a professional singer anyway. He's just a kid whose dad happens to write a TV show.

Anyway, I felt the need to "defend" Ritchie here, and that episode in general, from the hellstorm.

This Van Dyke Christmas entry actually puts me in the mind of another absolutely wonderful "homey" family-spun Christmas show from this very same era -- that being the holiday special done on "The Judy Garland Show". During this Judy show, she showcases her family (and some friends) for the hour-long "party". And I have to watch it every Christmas, like clockwork. And the DVD is great quality. (If you've got the VHS version, however, you'll also get the original commercials that were aired by CBS when first shown in December 1963.)

Judy's young son, Joe, sounds like nails on a chalkboard at times during his solo song during that Garland show -- but who cares?! It's still great fun anyway. I'd recommend that show (plus Van Dyke's Christmas program too) to anybody for classic December viewing.

PLUS -- The "TAGS" one and only Christmas show as well! Once we get this "Andy Griffith" Christmas show (which is in Season 1), I think we'll then have 4 of the very best TV Christmas shows ever out on DVD format. Being: Van Dyke, MTM, Judy Garland, and TAGS.

The "TAGS" holiday effort, btw, is called, simply, "Christmas Story", and was aired on 12/19/1960 on CBS (just the 11th "Andy" ever aired). Ben Weaver (the crusty old man everyone dislikes) is feeling low at Christmastime, and tries everything imaginable to get himself arrested by "Fast-Gun Fife", in order to be able to join the Courthouse Christmas party. An episode that creates the 'lump-in-throat' phenomenon nearly every time seeing it.

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 10:47 AM

See, I knew David VP would bring the info, and I agree I love the episode and am a lot more forgiving of Richy's performance than most.

I love the Tags Christmas episode! Its in season 1, that makes me want that set all the more then.

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 10:57 AM

Quote:
While this is actually the only Christmas themed episode don't forget the episode with the famous Christmas toy that says ho ho uhny uftz!

Ah, yes. Indeed. Posted Image
"Hugo" & partner could never get that right, could they? LOL.

That WAS a cool-looking flying toy, though, wasn't it? I'll bet a lot of kids wanted one after seeing that episode in the '60s. I would have. Posted Image

Speaking of trivia ..... I noticed in one of the "booklets" provided with the DVD-on-DVD boxed sets, that it claims that "Alan Brady Show Presents" in S.3 is the only time we ever actually SEE the "Alan Brady Show" on the air.

I will beg to differ with this assertion --- Because we DO see parts of the Brady Show at least once (and hear some of other Brady shows, while not seeing the TV screen).

One such time we SEE part of the Brady Show is at the end of "The Foul Weather Girl" (S.2).

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,866 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 30 2004 - 10:59 AM

Hey, isn't there a new Dallas thread you should be contributing to? Posted Image

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 11:01 AM

And "The Return Of Edwin Carp" also shows part of a "Brady Show" on the air.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
I love the Tags Christmas episode! It's in season 1, that makes me want that set all the more then.
Exactly. Me too.
Along with the other funny Season 1 eps. too, like the Pilot show, "The Manhunt", "Quiet Sam", "Ellie Comes To Town", and "Bringing Up Opie".

And don't forget "A Feud Is A Feud", with Andy telling Opie his version of "Romeo & Juliet", which is hilarious.

"And then Romeo kissed her. I wanna tell you, that boy kissed her flat on the mouth!!" Posted Image

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow