-

Photo
- - - - -

Help with Yamaha Receivers Decoding Logic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   MaxMenon

MaxMenon

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 11:33 AM

I just bought a HTR-5760. Its got the same brains as most of their series RX-V1400, RX-V2400, HTR-5790 etc.

I bought this receiver for its Dolby Pro-Logic IIx capability. I have a 7.1 setup and IIx was important to me.

Here is the problem I have ...

On my old Denon 2802, I could configure it to use Pro-LogicII as the default decoding logic for any signal that was not Dolby Digital. This worked out great because I did not have to muck with the processing whenever I switched channel on my digital cable box.

But with the Yamaha Receiver, it seems to want to choose its own "best" method to process the signal. When tuned to a 2-channel digital signal it will perform PLII decoding. To make it perform IIx I have to manually change it. If I switch to a DD5.1 channel it performs regular 5.1 decoding and I have to manually change it to IIx. The wierd thing is that it does not remember this and the next time it detects a 2-channel audio it performs legacy PLII processing again.

Please help.

Max

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott*B

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 11:42 AM

It's been talked about on here before. It could sway me away from buying a Yamaha. Sounds like I'd be fiddling with my remote everytime I turn channels.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   MaxMenon

MaxMenon

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 12:33 AM

Hi
You do have to manually set pro-LogicIIx the first time then every time you go to that input it will revert back to pro-LogicIIx even when power is turned off & on. When you switch back to DD5.1 channel on that input and want to use Pro-LogicIIx you will manually have to set pro-LogicIIx.

Don
Yamaha Support

-------------------------------------------------
I just bought a HTR-5760. Its got the same brains as most of their series RX-V1400, RX-V2400, HTR-5790 etc.

I bought this receiver for its Dolby Pro-Logic IIx capability. I have a 7.1 setup and IIx was important to me.

Here is the problem I have ...

On my old Denon 2802, I could configure it to use Pro LogicII as the default decoding logic for any signal that was not Dolby Digital. This worked out great because I did not have to muck with the processing whenever I switched channel on my digital cable box. I was assured to get the best decoding logic the receiver was capable of using.

But with the Yamaha Receiver, it seems to want to choose its own "best" method to process the signal. When tuned to a 2-channel digital signal it will perform PLII decoding. To make it perform IIx I have to manually change it. If I switch to a DD5.1 channel it performs regular 5.1 decoding and I have to manually change it to IIx. The wierd thing is that it does not remember this and the next time it detects a 2-channel audio it performs legacy PLII processing again.

Please help.

Max

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 02:38 AM

Max,

The answer from Yamaha seems a little disappointing. I've never relied on Pro Logic IIx processing as a default. Clearly, in some applications, this could be a real headache.

Then again, I see some initiatives with the Yamaha that others have overlooked with their products. I guess we have to give up a few features to gain a few others.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott*B

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 02:47 AM

Would it be OK to just leave the 5760 on all the time? That way the settings would stay. I picked this receiver up at BB last night and have been extremely impressed thus far. It's like my JBL Northridge speakers have a new life and level of detail.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 05:13 AM

Quote:
Would it be OK to just leave the 5760 on all the time? That way the settings would stay.

Actually, I think it would be better to get a new remote control that allows you to program macro buttons. With the push of one macro button, the receiver could turn on and the receiver could be placed into Dolby Pro Logic IIx mode for use.

The remaining macro buttons could be programmed to do any other sort of functions that one would desire. The remote that comes with the 5760 is an OK remote, but I desire more programability with remotes and their functions.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott*B

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 05:57 AM

I've got a programmable remote w/ macro capabilities. I guess that would be the easiest.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   MaxMenon

MaxMenon

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 03:18 AM

Hi Wayne:

I have a macro-capable remote. Can you please tell me what the optimal sequence would be to set rcvr to DPLIIx ?

Max

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott*B

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 06:08 AM

I just have mine to do the following. My cable box automatically turns to channel 1 when it powers up. So I power on cable box before receiver and have it go up 1 channel to channel 2 which has regular stereo sound. I then have the macro turn on my receiver and first hit the EX/ES button twice to turn Auto off. I then have it hit the DD/DTS button which turns on PLIIx. The last button bush of my macro returns control of the remote to the cable box so I can surf the channels. Works great.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   MaxMenon

MaxMenon

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 01:46 AM

Hi Scott : I am not so sure that will work all the time. I just tried what you said. It does switch to PLIIx (on a 2ch stereo PCM signal) ... but when I switch to a DD5.1 channel ... it changes to DD5.1 STANDARD decoding Posted Image

This is NUTS on the part of Y. I think they used an existing PLII firmware and jerryrigged it to work for PLIIx. Recall that on a PLII receiver there would be no need for the user to switch from DD5.1 to PLII ... and the new firmware seems to retain some of that logic.

Max

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott*B

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted May 03 2004 - 01:58 AM

Keep in mind on DD5.1 material I'm using DD-EX not PLIIx as I've yet to be able to get PLIIx to work in any mode but PLIIx:Movie with DD5.1 sources. I'm only using PLIIx for 2ch stereo material.