What's new

Ghostbusters Special Edition (Merged)? (1 Viewer)

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
A while back I could swear I remember reading somewhere that a possible "Special Edition" of Ghostbusters was being planned. A new commentary with Dan Aykroyd and more deleted scenes I believe were the features being bandied about at the time.

Has anyone heard anything?

This year being the 20th anniversary would seem to be a perfect time for a SE of this film to be released.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I haven't heard anything; the disc they have out now is pretty solid, in my opinion. If you don't have it already, it's definately worth checking out.

Bryan

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Bryan, the disc out now is really solid especially since it came out in 1999 and I don't see a reason to revisit the title.

Having said that, if they were to do such a thing I'd be all over it, because I love Ghostbusters. It seems though that the only thing they could do that they didn't do before is include an apology on the disc for the existance of Ghostbusters 2.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, they can put another edition of this on the back burner until after they pay some overdue attention to re-dos of A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, OLIVER! and a few others.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
For nostalgia sake, I would've loved to have seen the Ray Parker Jr. music video as a special feature on the DVD. I've pretty much been thinking twice about picking up the existing DVD, especially since it's been out for 5 years now, with the hopes that a SE would become available. But I may just have to end up getting it. It's definitely cheap enough.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

Personally, I think the current SE is excellent. OK, it's five years old, but it's still a stunning disc.

All I need now is a SE of Ghostbusters II. C'mon, it's great. "I await the word of Vigo". Classic!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I haven't heard anything; the disc they have out now is pretty solid, in my opinion. If you don't have it already, it's definately worth checking out."

Especially since you can get it for $9 at most places nowadays.

Matthew H

Second Unit
Columbia doesn't have anything planned for Ghostbusters 20th anniversary, which really blows. There's a new wave of comics that just came out via 88MPH Studios, and some action figures from NECA.. but that's it. GB2 needs an SE; there are plenty of deleted scenes and featurettes that weren't used on the 1999 release of it. That atleast neesd revisiting - it's GB2's 15th anniversary now.

Wow, has it been that long?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I have to agree, the current disc is pretty tricked out when it comes to extras, menus, interactive commentaries, etc. A 20th anniversary update with more of the deleted scenes and the Ray Parker Jr. music video would be nice to have, as long as it had something else substantial on it and not a cheapjack way to rename it or throw something not related to the film on it (i.e. MIB, Fast & the Furious, and any other needless multiple edition).

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
There was some speculation about a possible Ghostbusters SE because this year is the film's 20th anniversary. Nothing was ever confirmed, however (One would imagine that if any studio would jump at the opportunity to double dip, it would be Columbia). As far as extras go, the current release (which is already called "collectors edition") is pretty packed. The only thing I could think for them to add to it would be a new commentary, more deleated scenes, and maybe a description of what the original script was like. The only thing that I think really needs to be addressed is the transfer. Granted, it doesn't look bad (and it looks way better than the VHS that came out in the mid '90s.), but it could definately be improved. Perhaps a new transfer could be made and the film could then be re-released as a Superbit.

As Matthew H mentioned, there is a lot of merchandise coming out this year to celebrate the film's 20th anniversary (toy line, bobbleheads, a comic line, and several novels), so now would be the perfect time to double dip.

E

Eric Beck

The one they have now is fine but I would like to see a 2 disc SE or something like that. A Superbit of it would also be great.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Two weeks ago there were three screenings of Ghostbusters at the BAM Cinematek in Brooklyn. Bill Murray even introduced one of them. Did anyone go?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I'd love for them to do a GB2 SE. Get the entire cast together for one giant commentary, perhaps with a moderator to keep the conversation going if there's dull spots. Deleted scenes, outakes(some of wich are seen at the end of the film), etc...

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
How about the original poster art that showed the Ghostbusters looking up at a dark sky? Only so much I can take of the "no-ghost" logo...

Oh, and I say bring on a new edition with more deleted scenes. Anyone interested in such things should track down the excellent book "Making Ghostbusters."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks