What's new

What's the Deal with the South Park "Spirit of Christmas" Short? (1 Viewer)

I've seen the specs for the fourth season box set and once again we won't be seeing Spirit of Christmas included among the bonus features.

Now I've heard that there could be some rights issues involved. But if that's the case, then why is it still possible to download the cartoon from the South Park Studios web site? (It may not appear in the downloads section, but if you search the site, you can still find the link.) Now I suppose that a quicktime file is better than nothing, but it would be nice to have the cartoon available in better quality.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Sure enough!

I dunno what's going on with the "rights" thing. :rolleyes:I had gotten some inkling that the situation might have been resolved, but the actual proof will be if the thing ever actually shows up on DVD!

I really don't know the supposed details behind all of this. I'm sure someone else reading this thread will chime in with it, though.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping that when Paramount took ownership of the earlier seasons that the special features would be enhanced (commentaries actually on disc, Spirit of Christmas). I guess that was too much to hope.

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't this come on a bonus best buy disc with the 2nd season? or was that something else?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

That was something else. It was the first regular episode of the show, "Cartman Gets An Anal Probe", created in a "full length" version using manual animation techniques (like the way they did it in the above shorts), before they went to computer animation. CGaAP was re-done using the computer animation, and that's the only version that's been seen publicly until the Best Buy bonus disc came along.

I got that disc, too. But I can't say I recall watching it. I must have. But I don't remember it if I did. Huh, I should go watch it now!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Paramount only acts as the distributor for the title, all the work is done by Comedy Central. That's the same with MTV, and probably CBS as well.

Gord

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Since they were commisioned to do The Spirit of Christmas for some exec to give out as video xmas cards, Matt & Trey might not have the distribution rights.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Which version of "Spirit of Christmas" are we talking about here? The Frosty one or the Santa one?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Santa.

Note that in the original "Frosty" short, when they kids yell "Oh my God! They killed Kenny!", it is in fact that very fat kid who would later become Cartman that was offed. The smaller kid in the hooded orange coat actually has a face (you can see his glasses, or eyes, or whatever they are) and even says a word or two in plain English! :eek: :D He's offed, too, but they never name him.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
The last I heard about this was that the music used in both Spirit of Christmas shorts was unlicensed (and likely would be unlicensable), therefore the soundtrack would have to be redone to distribute them on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks