Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer or bigger speakers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott Pad

Scott Pad

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 10:35 AM

I currently have a pair of JBL HLS 620's which I am happy with except for their lack of bass...no I pretty much listen to rap and would like some opinions on whether to add a subwoofer or get a larger front set of speakers. Speakers I would get would be JBL 312's or Cerwin Vega V-12F's. If a subwoofer is the way to go a few suggestions would be appreciated since I have no knowledge of what is or isn't respected...thanks for the help

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   TimRP

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 10:52 AM

I say get a sub, but to help you we need to know budget, room size, and music taste.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott Pad

Scott Pad

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 11:26 AM

I listen to mostly rap and am on a college budget so I'd like to stay around 400 for the sub. Floor speakers I'm lookin at around 500-550. Room size is medium or average

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Joshua H

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 11:28 AM

Scott,
If you're looking for 312's I recommend www.harmanaudio.com as they have a great deal on 'em at the moment... I've been eyeing them myself.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   eryn shannon

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 11:28 AM

Are you using the system for music only or for movies as well? What kind of amp are you using to run the speakers? although those are both very efficient speakers they use large bass drivers so you would like to use an amp with sufficient current so the bass is not sloppy. If you are only using the system for music and have a decent amp/receiver I would get the speakers. If you are using the system for mostly movies I would definitely get the sub. I have had allot of experience with the V-12F's and they put out allot of bass and play loud, especially for the price. Don't expect audiophile quality sound though.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott Pad

Scott Pad

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 12:57 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention my receiver..It is a Yamaha HTR-5490 and I listen to mainly music and occasionally use it for surround sound

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott Pad

Scott Pad

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 02:09 PM

I have read how some people are thrilled with the Dayton 10 sub for 100...Is it a good subwoofer for let's say an average system like mine?

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 09:14 PM

I have had Cerwin Vegas for years and just got rid of them. My new system is mainly for movies. I used my Vegas for music and they are awesome. If I was ever going to buy some music speakers again I would get them. They are great for party's.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 12:24 AM

I have the dayton sub and I have to say it's great for movies. It adds a pretty nice kick for $100. I would not necessarily say it's ideal for many types of music, but maybe for rap, if you're really just looking for "thud thud" it will do fine. Don't get me wrong, it's okay for music, and has helped my speakers sound better by relieving them of the low end, but it is a $100 subwoofer. I think you'll be happy for that price though with the dayton.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 01:06 AM

Definetly add a sub, that Harman Kardon sub looks like something that would really do the job in your application. I think rap music sounds a world better with a sub. Gives you that whole different attitude when listening with deep, thumping bass.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   cabreau

cabreau

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 01:30 AM

If you watch movies too, get a sub. If you only listen to music, then get bigger speakers.
"...He who knows how to live can walk abroad without fear of rhinocerous or tiger. He will not be wounded in battle. For in him rhinoceroses can find no place to thrust their horn, tigers can find no place to use their claws, and weapons no place to pierce. Why is this so? Because he has no...