Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warm, Bright, Neutral associated with brands/models

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   BuddF

BuddF

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 08:09 AM

I thought I'd try something out.

Alot of people come here as newcomers and are interested in speakers and help in making purchases. Brands vary greatly as far as "warm" to "bright" sounding speakers. Of course what drives them also plays a role in this.

I thought as a good idea to get a sort of broader look at individuals opinions on how certain speaker sound (i.e.-Klipsch lands on the bright side in my opinion). Someone can go to one location and get an idea of what kind of sound they like, then using this information can refer to the lists of speakers that hopefully end up here and help refine their search and/or help pick out internet based speakers. Some info has been posted here and there on this subject but not really in one location.

Also naming what drove the speakers (i.e.-HK, Yamaha receivers, etc) can help in this. I am only stating this because a brighter receiver on a neutral speaker will lean it to sound on the bright side.

Hopefully this can give broader perspective on how different speakers sound and help assist in guiding someone in a better direction.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted April 28 2004 - 12:40 PM

There is no one answer. What one person feels is "bright", another would call "detailed". One man's "warm" is another man's "muffled". While there may be a general agreement with one speaker compared to another, and slight differentiation in terminology, the fact is, you may hear something completely different than I do and not classify a speaker, receiver/amp, DAC, source, etc... the same way.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Alex_P

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 05:43 PM

I've listened to JBL S130II. It seemed warm. The Klipsch (don't remember the model) is bright...seem to have more of a high pitch tone...

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 11:04 PM

My 1967 Ford Fairlane speakers in cardboard boxes are muffled.